Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2016, 11:35 AM

6 posts, read 45,920 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Considering a move from San Diego, where the first place I lived we had constant aircraft noise from a nearby marine base. I know Colorado Springs is a big military town, and I don't know how to find out the flight paths. We want to avoid living in an area with frequent aircraft noise.

Are there neighborhoods (decent ones where people actually want to live) that are in areas with minimal/no flight noise (from military bases or the airport)? Or is pretty much the whole metro area more or less impacted by flight paths?

Thanks!
Tyler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 12:46 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,017,880 times
1. There's a small airport at the USAF Academy used only by prop engined aircraft towing gliders or lifting skydivers. Very little noise. Only jets flying in that area are the days after Memorial Day for USAF graduation when the Thunderbirds are up there for a few days. Zip 80920 and adjacent for mostly quiet.

2. Main city airport is along S. Powers Blvd which also doubles as Peterson AFB. Main flight path is north-south parallel to Powers Blvd.

3. Fort Carson has a good deal of helicopter traffic.

Quietest areas are the above zip, central downtown and the west side of town known as Old Colorado City or even Manitou Springs. Best to visit to see for yourself.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:02 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,142 times
Where I live off 8th st in the SW part of town, I'm often aware of low-flying military aircraft -- usually helicopters or slow-moving cargo-type planes, not jet aircraft. I think they may be using approach/takeoff patterns that involve going north up the I-25 corridor. It's not every day I see/hear them. But, please note that if you live anywhere near the railroad tracks parallel to I-25, the train noise is going to be a lot more of a concern than aircraft noise. It's a very busy freight line with frequent trains at all hours of the day and night.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:16 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,230 times
"Sound of freedom "
Sorry, just had to say it. Don't think anywhere in Colorado Springs will have the kinda jet noise you get at Miramar.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:19 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,776 times
I live along the Powers corridor, the most noise I hear is from the helipad at St. Francis hospital. My mom is also on the Powers corridor but 4 miles south, she gets a little more noise, but it isn't constant. COS airport isn't nearly as busy as others and though we have the USAFA and Peterson AFB here, we don't have constant air traffic.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:20 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
Despite the number of Air Force personnel in Cos, we are predominately space and missile oriented command centers, and the AFA flight training is predominately single engine and glider training. However, we do occasionally see complaints about AFA training from residents on the far north end of the city. That doesn't mean we never have jet fly overs and with the USAF MAFFS teams deployed from Peterson, we do occasionally see lower altitude fly overs by C-130s.

However, I couldn't imagine even during Air Force Graduation practice when the Thunderbirds are here for a week, we see anywhere near the military air traffic that occurs with Miramar.

Civilian jets to have approach and take offs predominately run parallel with Power Blvd. The only place you would have regular exposure to that would be if you live north or south of the airport approaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs