Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2006, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,980 times

Advertisements

Hello. Name's Alex. I just returned from another wonderful year in Iraq about a month ago and have been looking into Real Estate investing in Colorado Springs for the past couple of years. I have been out of touch for about a year now and looking for some information on the market in The Springs. I have been reading through most of the threads and have found that there are many knowledgable participants in these forums and would love any advice anyone has to offer. I was speaking to my Fin. Planner on investing this coming year, and he informed me that the market values will be dropping significantly in the next year or so. I am quite adament about buying some real estate as soon as I can get ahold of some good information. Does anyone have any recommendations on sites or sources giving some information on the current and upcoming RE market in the Springs? Any ideas about where the market is heading? And whether it would be a good idea for a beginning RE investor to hit the properties now? Or hold back for a year or so? I am very interested in the Mort. rates at this time and would love any information you all have. Any recomendations and ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 06:50 PM

648 posts, read 2,939,839 times
Hey AlexG- I can tell your right now that if you are looking for a new build, you could get a steal! I mean a steal. I just got emails today w/ $12,000 in incentives, + plasma tv and GC for $4,000 for furniture from one builder. It is a GREAT time to invest in a property. I would go for new builds, because the month of November was VERY slow and the builders are desperate to sell.

Thank you for protecting this Country and my family! bashep

Last edited by bashep; 12-01-2006 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: didn't want it to sound like a sales pitch. Just wanted to give info...

Old 12-02-2006, 10:11 AM

137 posts, read 774,292 times
Default investing

The builders are offering some good incentives right now. Inventory is high. I don't expect the inventory to go much higher, but I do think we have some price adjustments ahead for 2007. I work with a lot of real estate investors and teach classes on real estate investment, property managment and 1031 exchanges. I have been sending my investor clients out of the state for about the last year based on the recommendations of a seasoned real estate investor and economist I work with. I do believe that our price adjustments will be short lived and that we will be back on track fairly quickly- hopefully sometime in 2008. With this being such a popular retirement area and with everything else we have going on here, I really believe that we have the potential to become a hot spot for investors within the next 3-5 years. If you buy now I think you can beat the rush, take advantage of low interest rates and take advantage of some good incentives. You might loose equity in your first year, but you should do great long term. If you are looking for higher, shorter term gains I would get something in a high-growth area somewhere else in the nation, hold it for 18 months- 2 years and then get a property here. If you're just looking long term, I think you can expect a nice return here. Our rent to sales price ratio here is quite a bit lower than in other parts of the country, so I wouldn't really expect any cash flow for now. I would do lots of research on builders before I bought anything. Particularly research appriciation within specific builder's neighborhoods. I do not support the builder that is offering the big incentives and strongly targets investors. They pay great incentives and pay big bonuses to Realtors, but their neighborhoods have not historically held value as well as other builders. I have had several clients who had to sell out of that builder at a loss- even when our market was going up an average of 8% per year on new construction. This is partly because they have so many rentals in their community, and partly because they do not have a reputation of building our best-quality homes. Sorry for the soap-box. If you want info on the economy here, I have a lot that I can e-mail you including some articles I've written for investors. Just send me an e-mail. Have fun!

Old 12-02-2006, 02:57 PM

648 posts, read 2,939,839 times
I agree! You make some great points CSColorado! bashep

Old 12-02-2006, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,980 times
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll put the advice to some good use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: