Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:17 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times

Advertisements

The newcomers are finally having an effect: On a snowy Election Day in Colorado Springs, "sea change" may have come to council majority | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A major shift is in the making with the apparent victories of Richard Skorman, Yolanda L. Avila, sole District 2 candidate David Geislinger and re-elected Councilwoman Jill Gaebler, observers agreed.

"Boulder has moved to Colorado Springs," one wag quipped at the Skorman-Avila victory party.

I thought I would never see the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 07:40 AM

1,013 posts, read 978,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The newcomers are finally having an effect: On a snowy Election Day in Colorado Springs, "sea change" may have come to council majority | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

A major shift is in the making with the apparent victories of Richard Skorman, Yolanda L. Avila, sole District 2 candidate David Geislinger and re-elected Councilwoman Jill Gaebler, observers agreed.

"Boulder has moved to Colorado Springs," one wag quipped at the Skorman-Avila victory party.

I thought I would never see the day.
Why blame newcomers? Were the votes real close?

Old 04-05-2017, 07:40 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
Great news- hopefully the military and homebuilders will not be the "movers and shakers" for too much longer!

Old 04-05-2017, 09:19 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Wonderful news blue cities usually have better infrastructure and economies.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:06 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,760 times
I'm not surprised that Gaebler won; however, I do think a big reason was the dirty campaign waged against her by competing interests. We got a couple postcards in the mail that were very negative.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:02 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Nudges left, absolutely. Boulder moving to Cos, hardly. I think a shift towards a more centrist, moderate tone is a very healthy thing for us.

DrDog, no, the votes were not particularly close, IMO, and I wouldn't say it is blaming newcomers so much as there are enough new people here who are staying here that do not want to deal with the entrenched status quo that they can override an established norm. Cos has had a transient population base for a lot of years and those voters tended to tilt towards incumbents. After all, they made it the place it is, so they can't be all bad, then those voters would move away and the cycle perpetuated.

As I've said on numerous occasions, Cos has been many different things in its lifetime. An ultra conservative evangelical headquarters is only a recent perception and in time that will also change. Gordon Klingenschmidt did not get elected to the State Senate, Doug Bruce is in jail, Helen Collins lost her seat on City Council, Richard Skorman is back on council, we are all seeing the value in infrastructure development, Cyber Security is up and coming, and more millenials are exercising their political influence by voting. I see those as net positives.

Last edited by TCHP; 04-05-2017 at 03:19 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 02:50 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
.... I think a shift towards a more centrist, moderate tone is a very healthy thing for us.....
For sure, back to the center. Extremes of either sort are just not where we need to be. We need to get back to a situation where "the rising tide lifts all boats" as it used to do.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:22 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Great news- hopefully the military and homebuilders will not be the "movers and shakers" for too much longer!
Here, here! I sure hope it continues! Developers have no business in city govt.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:19 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Colorado Springs becoming like Boulder? Does that mean growth restrictions that drive housing prices through the roof? And of course the arrogant attitude that "I'm here now and a wall (pun intended) should be built around the city to stop anybody else from locating here."

Great, looks like I have to find another place to move. Maybe Junction.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:26 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Colorado Springs becoming like Boulder? Does that mean growth restrictions that drive housing prices through the roof? And of course the arrogant attitude that "I'm here now and a wall (pun intended) should be built around the city to stop anybody else from locating here."

Great, looks like I have to find another place to move. Maybe Junction.
I like the boulder philosophy its great if you are a real estate investor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs