Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 06:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

I live on the Palmer Divide about one mile northwest of CO-83 and CO-105. I am thinking of hooking up a television antenna to pickup television broadcasts. Anyone doing this near me? Are you getting Colorado Springs? Denver? Both? Which channels? Where are the transmitters located (my guess is they are located on Cheyenne Mountain)? Any antenna advice or setup advice? Amplifiers, cable lengths? I have an old Radio Shack 20dB amplifier for coax. I'm going to probably do trial and error with an el cheapo antenna from Craigslist but I'm still curious if anyone else out there has tried this. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 08:38 PM

132 posts, read 673,746 times
I use AntennaWeb to determine where the stations are relative to my Peyton home. Gives me a lot of useful data like distance to the tower. I have a Channel Master 4228 Antenna that points to Cheyenne Mountain. It's about 5 feet off the ground on the west wall of the house. I am using 130' of standard non-quad RG6 cable with no amp. Even 25 miles away, I get almost 98% or better on most of the HD and non-HD stations. I drove a 5/8" thick, 8 foot long copper rod into the ground next to the antenna and grounded the heck out of it. We'll see if it holds up this summer when those neat little lighting storms show up

Last edited by TheBeach; 03-07-2008 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Added more details about the antenna setup

Old 03-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeach View Post
I use AntennaWeb to determine where the stations are relative to my Peyton home. Gives me a lot of useful data like distance to the tower. I have a Channel Master 4228 Antenna that points to Cheyenne Mountain. It's about 5 feet off the ground on the west wall of the house. I am using 130' of standard non-quad RG6 cable with no amp. Even 25 miles away, I get almost 98% or better on most of the HD and non-HD stations. I drove a 5/8" thick, 8 foot long copper rod into the ground next to the antenna and grounded the heck out of it. We'll see if it holds up this summer when those neat little lighting storms show up

Wow. Cool tool. Thank You.

Using Google Earth I measured 26.06 miles away from the transmitters on Cheyenne Mountain.

Now I got to check my covenants. I think antennas aren't allowed. Maybe I can make an antenna look like a pine tree or something.

Last edited by Charles; 03-07-2008 at 09:05 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 04:58 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
ahh you gotta love those HOA Nazi's. Seriously Charles, what could they actually do to you? It's not like they could kick you out of your own home

Old 03-08-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
ahh you gotta love those HOA Nazi's. Seriously Charles, what could they actually do to you? It's not like they could kick you out of your own home
They can fine me and other things. Actually, I don't mind the rules. Keeps the neighborhood looking pretty nice. Without the rules there would be 90 foot ham radio antennas, RVs parked everywhere, cars parked on lawns, etc. I have an upstairs loft that almost faces south towards Cheyenne Mountain. No one uses it now but the baby is going to end up there in a few weeks. I could stick the antenna in there I think. I think I can get my wife to go for it if I can convince her that it is a new scientific device that I invented that reduces the price of online shoes.

Last edited by Charles; 03-08-2008 at 06:46 AM..

Old 03-08-2008, 06:49 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
They can fine me and other things. Actually, I don't mind the rules. Keeps the place looking pretty nice. Without the rules there would be 90 foot ham radio antennas, RVs parked everywhere, cars parked on lawns, etc.
Here's a link to the FCC rules (An HOA cannot prohibit an antenna; They can impose safety restrictions, reasonable restrictions etc.)

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Quote:
A: The rule prohibits restrictions that impair a person's ability to install, maintain, or use an antenna covered by the rule. The rule applies to state or local laws or regulations, including zoning, land-use or building regulations, private covenants, homeowners' association rules, condominium or cooperative association restrictions, lease restrictions, or similar restrictions on property within the exclusive use or control of the antenna user where the user has an ownership or leasehold interest in the property.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:50 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,894 times
Charles, "reduces the price of online shoes"! You're a riot!!!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:23 PM

132 posts, read 673,746 times
Default Indoor UHF/VHF HDTV Antenna

If I had no choice but to use an indoor antenna, I probably would look at the Winegard SS 3000. Gets pretty nice reviews for HDTV reception. One of the better places to get it is at http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SS3000.

If you don't mind a bigger, more ugly indoor antenna, but which gets high marks for pulling in those signals, you would like the Antennas Direct DB2 UHF HDTV Antenna. http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=AD-DB2

Old 03-08-2008, 03:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
yeah, they could fine you, but what would happen if you just didn't pay them? Seriously, what could they do besides make your life hell? I'd be damned if someone told me that I wasn't allowed to park my RV in my driveway. If it's your house, you can do as you please.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
yeah, they could fine you, but what would happen if you just didn't pay them? Seriously, what could they do besides make your life hell? I'd be damned if someone told me that I wasn't allowed to park my RV in my driveway. If it's your house, you can do as you please.
They can impose fines and liens. We signed stuff when we moved in. (But this is all OK with me; These rules have their benefits. The community looks pretty nice.)

Some of the other rules: All garage doors shall be equipped with automatic remote control openers and shall be kept closed except for immediate ingress or egress. No carport or other open, unenclosed structure intended as storage or parking for vehicles shall be constructed or used on any Lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs