Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 01:56 PM

59 posts, read 59,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
Freak On A Leash, if it impacts your summer activities that much then maybe another drier western state would be a better summer fit for you. The mountain rains are a regular occurrence.
I totally get it, which is why I'm planning to relocate to Southwest in the springtime and head to the mountains of California or the interior Northwest or perhaps northern Wyoming or Montana in the summers. No "monsoon moisture" in those places..just sunny and dry! That's what I want!

Fortunately I have a lifestyle now that permits me to do this. I suffered through 30 years of crap weather in the east and I'm not doing it now when I don't have to. I got what I needed by being here for this summer in Colorado. I have employment for the winter and have established residency so I'm happy. But this weather isn't for me. I know there's better for me elsewhere during the wet season here so in the future that's what I'm going to do: relocate to where it's dry and come back when it's snowy as I do love the snow.

What I don't get is how people here can possibly say that you get "300 days of sunny weather" in Colorado when it literally rains or snows half the time? Half a day of sun isn't "sunny" in my book. In that case you can ALSO say you have 300 days of precipitation too!

I guess it's to get people to come here and visit and they do come and are as puzzled as I am. I work in the tourist industry so I know. I see people stand in the rain dressed in T shirts and shorts and shiver and say "WTF is up here? It was nice an hour ago!" I feel their pain. The difference is that they come from places where the weather is worse so they are content enough. I know it's drier and sunnier elsewhere and put up with this for years back east. I'm not content to put up with it anymore so I'm glad I have options. Back to Lake Tahoe I go next year!

Last edited by Freak On a Leash; 07-25-2017 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I saw someone over the the SoCal forum complaining about their monotonously dry and consistent weather. Maybe a house swap is in order.
I don't have a house to swap! I literally move around and work seasonally. I'll probably be checking into So Cal at some point but I wasn't liking the coast when I was there last summer. Too foggy and damp. I like warm and dry. I spent last summer at Lake Tahoe and the Sierras so that's probably where I'll end up next summer. I'm also looking at the interior Northwest. Their winter and spring weather is horrible but the summers are dry and sunny for weeks. I want that.

Last edited by Freak On a Leash; 07-25-2017 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post

In the summers, in the mountains especially, you will get the rains unless the area is in a drought. We always hike early so we could get our camp set up before the afternoon rains. Do our exploring and then take a light nap in the tent listening to the rain. When it stopped we would cook our dinner and by night have our campfire under the stars.

You have to expect the summer rains in the mountains, that's why if you climb 14ers (the fourteen thousand foot peaks Colorado is known for in case anyone doesn't know) you need to start early so you can be off the summit before noon and down below timberline before the storms.
I've gotten down with the whole "do things in the morning bit". I get up early and do stuff. Last week I got up early (at 5 am) and was on the trail to Quandry Peak (14,265 feet) by 6:30 am. We were up and below treeline before the usual storm came. Works great when I stick close to home. I get up and take hikes, bike rides, etc...all before noon. Then I come home and take a nap. That works fine for me if I don't camp out and stay home. I've gone from being a night owl to a morning person because of this. Where I actually live is quite nice. It's when I want to venture to other places and camp outside that it's a problem.

I love to camp though! I really love it and need to do it...But the problem with camping is that it starts to rain around 1-3pm and continues until its almost dark and that, for me at least, makes an overnight camping trip difficult because it means I have to set up in the rain and I hate doing that. By the time I'm done with my hike it's raining!

I think if I attempt a camping trip again this summer I'll take my 3 days off in a row, set up camp early the first day and just hang out, do my hiking early on the second day and relax the rest of the day and leave the morning of the third day. I hate setting up and breaking camp in the rain and that might be the answer. I notice that, unlike in the east, it rarely rains all day here, that it's mostly an afternoon/early evening event.

Quote:
I do like sleeping under the stars rather than a tent but it's not often possible here. The under the stars sleeping I have done has been mainly in New Mexico (which is beautiful and gets little rain), Utah and Arizona.
This monsoonal moisture is just as bad in Utah, New Mexico and Arizona this time of year! That's why last year I waited until October until I left California to go to those places. It rains there all summer. That's where the moisture we get here in Colorado comes from! Then it dries out and is amazingly beautiful for the fall. I had great weather in the southwest all fall and into the winter last year and took full advantage. Texas too! I slept outside under the stars without a tent for a full week at Big Bend in mid December! I rarely slept with a fly on my tent last year.

This past June I slept t under the stars in Colorado when I camped. I'm glad I took full advantage and camped often. I loved those 6 weeks of rain free, sunny weather! Now I'm told it was exceedingly dry and not normal. And here I was thinking it was normal.... Yeah, for California.

Colorado is an awesome place. It IS beautiful. I love working here, enjoy the people and the culture and look forward to LOTS of snow and skiing this winter! Next summer I'll take myself someplace drier. Live and learn.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I agree ... the weather never kept me from hiking or backpacking. There's something really nice about resting in your tent after a long hike as a cooling rain falls.
Unfortunately rain affects me mentally and emotionally. A few hours every couple of days isn't a problem. That's how it was in June. But every day each afternoon for hours does affect me. Many people hate cold and snow and I love it. I can't do rain though. I actually have rescheduled and canceled trips because of the threat of constant rain. I guess everyone has their thing that sets them off..

Resting in the tent after a long hike is a nice thing, which means I'll have to plan to set up my tent when it's not raining. Overnighters aren't working for me because when I end my hike and want to set up camp it's raining. I will have to take a day off to do that the day before, hike the next day and be back to my tent before it rains. I think I have a plan for the rest of the summer...

Old 07-25-2017, 07:20 PM

730 posts, read 760,950 times
I've lived in New Mexico for 40 years, and now Colorado for 2. I can guarantee monsoons in NM are no where near as "rainy" as here! And I'm going on the record as saying I don't think it's particularly rainy here either. But compared to NM, we have more moisture. If one thinks monsoons in NM are comparable to CO, I'm not sure where a good place to live would be.

But OP, I am sorry it affects you. I hope you can find a drier spot during summer free from monsoons. I understand some weather patterns can be difficult (I hate constant sunny days). Best of luck.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 PM

1,013 posts, read 965,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
I've lived in New Mexico for 40 years, and now Colorado for 2. I can guarantee monsoons in NM are no where near as "rainy" as here! And I'm going on the record as saying I don't think it's particularly rainy here either. But compared to NM, we have more moisture. If one thinks monsoons in NM are comparable to CO, I'm not sure where a good place to live would be.

But OP, I am sorry it affects you. I hope you can find a drier spot during summer free from monsoons. I understand some weather patterns can be difficult (I hate constant sunny days). Best of luck.
Nothing like this in Arizona either. In The Phoenix area you usually get 3-4 days per summer when there's actual rain where you live.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:44 AM

7,120 posts, read 9,185,840 times
I drove down from Denver to Colorado Springs Tuesday. I couldn't help but to notice how the foothills are now unusually green.

Reminds me of Ireland!

Old 07-29-2017, 01:13 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,034,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Reminds me of Ireland!
Woah woah, that's a little much now It's not hurt your eyes green.

Having green grass really does wonders to that drive! If there's flowers too, then it's amazing.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:52 AM

This has been the weather forecast for the past month and is the same for the next two weeks. Not for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it normally this rainy in the summer?-20476450_687298848131671_7753776089191975842_n.jpg  

Old 07-31-2017, 07:10 AM

1,013 posts, read 965,742 times
Avg July rainfall 2.8 inches

This July 6.4 inches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs