Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 07:44 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times

Advertisements

This routine is semi-normal. In good weather years, we will have the sunny and mild mornings followed by brief afternoon showers. Some years are wetter, some are dryer, it all depends on what happens in the Pacific Ocean in concert with the jet stream. El Nino and La Nina are two phrases you will learn to be watchful for in regards to weather expectations over the coming year. They aren't exact, but are significant contributors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ni%C3%B1o
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ni%C3%B1a

Weather is CO is so variable and unpredictable I've never really planed any activities around it and have simply prepared for the variability. But, in general weather tends to become more variable as the day progresses and mornings will be the nicest overall weather. Preparing for this variability is why outdoor outfitting gear is such a big business. A water resistant jacket shell with a zip in liner that retains body heat that is easy to carry is not just made for winter any more.

I have seen 2-3 day lingering rainstorms that have soaked Colo Spgs, yet once you get up above Woodland Park, you encounter dry weather and sunny skies. An hour south in the mountains can be a mild 70* and sunny while 2 hours south has whipping winds and dangerous lightning. Denver can be in the throes of a blizzard while we sit in sun and mid 40*s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 08:55 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,835 times
Technically, this is an unusual July. Normal rainfall for July is 2.8 inches. This July we are at 4.3 inches and next week is predicted to be very rainy.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:22 PM

59 posts, read 60,111 times
Default Every day it rains, which sucks!

I feel like it's like Florida, albeit without the intense heat and humidity. I love it here in Colorado but I feel your pain. I too am new to Colorado. I came from the hot, humid and rainy east coast originally. I moved to Breckenridge and was told how wonderful the summers are. I was more interested in being here for the ski season but decided to try a summer here and now I'm regretting it

Temperature-wise, it IS awesome and the mornings are picture perfect with blue skies and crisp, fall like temperatures, low humidity, etc. And for much of June it was amazing. Fortunately I took advantage of the great DRY and SUNNY weather and went backpacking, camping, hiking, etc, all through the month of June and I'm sure glad I did! It all came to a crashing end about 2 weeks ago. With the exception of ONE day it has rained EVERY DAY for the past 2 weeks. And it's not just a "quick thunderstorm" that blows in and out. Often it lasts 2-4 hours and totally ruins the day.

I love to camp, backpack and hike and was desperate this week to go on a camping trip without the threat of a rainy afternoon/evening. I like to sit outside and enjoy the stars, not sit in my tent.
Yesterday, I saw there was only a 10-30% chance of rain down in the Colorado Springs/Pikes Peak area for today. The forecast for Breckenridge was 80% chance of rain in the afternoon. It was raining when we left Breckenridge at noon and we drove 2 hours to get to an area outside Pikes Peak, found a dispersed camping area and sat for hours in our car in the pouring rain with thunder and lightning all around until it was almost dark. It was still raining and we gave up then drove home. It was do damp and wet and I just knew it would be the same for the next evening and didn't want to deal with it.

I know people say "prepare" and "deal with it", but I HATE rain! A quick shower that comes and goes is fine but when it comes for hours and gets cold and damp I'm done. I don't like being a prisoner in my tent for hours in the afternoon. I guess I'm spoiled because I spent 5 months in California and the southwest last year (August-December) and got 7 days of rain total in that time! Here I've seen it rain more in one week!

So basically I'll be stuck at home doing day hikes in the early mornings until September. In the fall, I'm done with my job so I'm leaving and thinking of heading to Montana and Wyoming ( if it stays dry) or the head to the southwest again. I'm hoping that Southwest Colorado will be drier in September and October.

I LOVE the snow and will be back in Colorado for the ski season and am looking forward to it but next summer I'm planning to head back to northern California or Oregon. Yes, they have DRY weather in the Pacific Northwest in July and August. No thundershowers. That's what I want. You can keep this damn monsoon season. I spent 30 years cursing the weather on the east coast and I won't do it again here, I don't care how pretty it is.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:13 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
Bailing on Colorado because its too wet. There is a point of view we rarely ever hear.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:20 AM

730 posts, read 769,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Bailing on Colorado because its too wet. There is a point of view we rarely ever hear.
Right?! We need this moisture so we can actually keep the beautiful forests so many like to hike in! It will be dry again, soon enough, once monsoon season passes. Then there will be tons of days full of sun (unless winter comes early this year, which would be awesome!).

If you want endless sun and mountains head to New Mexico. We still had monsoon there, just much briefer. Although it will be browner, less rain.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 AM

1,013 posts, read 977,835 times
What I find frustrating about this every evening rain is each following morning seeing water flowing down the streets from lawn sprinklers running. People, turn your sprinklers off for a week and your lawns will be fine.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:32 AM

930 posts, read 1,654,557 times
I'm with Doodlemom. I'd take these rainy days over wildfires any day.

Freak on a Leash, you should consider Arizona.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:42 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
I actually think it's way wetter this summer & I've lived here since 1973. Yes; a thunderstorm in the afternoon is normal but they usually don't produce enough rain to even water your lawn. I think the only wetter summer I remember was either 1990 or 1991.

I think we need it though because we had such a dry winter. It's getting old to me too (the rain) but it's better than the fires & heavy smoke in the air. If I had my way we would be having our typical dry summer after a winter of epic, heavy snow.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:59 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Technically, this is an unusual July. Normal rainfall for July is 2.8 inches. This July we are at 4.3 inches and next week is predicted to be very rainy.

I think it is all about where the measurement happens. I think it is entirely normal that at least some part of the city gets 4.3 inches in July but not necessarily the measurement point. We're so lucky to get these rains instead of drought and heat wave - and we've been so fortunate that the rains have not been tornado and hail bearing! - personally I'm thrilled! I've lived here my whole life and I think this is average but of course it is all relative and perceptions vary. My mom is also a native and says this month is what summers were like every year when she was a kid - at least according to her memory, of course.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:01 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I actually think it's way wetter this summer & I've lived here since 1973. Yes; a thunderstorm in the afternoon is normal but they usually don't produce enough rain to even water your lawn. I think the only wetter summer I remember was either 1990 or 1991.
Don't forget just a few years ago when we had so much rain that it filled Ramah Reservoir for the first time in years - currently going empty again because this year's rains don't compare. And all those flash floods which of course had other factors but tons of rain was a big part of it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs