U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 01:58 PM

207 posts, read 104,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Well, OK, it IS cheaper here for housing, then. I'm pretty sure you can get a decent townhome for under $2K/month here, still. Though I have not really looked lately, in this area, since I'm about to move to Phoenix, I've been looking there. I got into a lease I am very, very happy with, in 2017, and part of the agreement was that they would not raise rent more than 5%/year on us. Excellent considering the apartment I moved from has gone up 11%/year since then.

At this point, I am paying about $1370/month for a townhome in a decent area, it's actually sandwiched between an extremely NICE neighborhood and a somewhat sketchy apartment building...we do that a lot, here in the Springs, putting the nice areas and the questionable ones cheek by jowl, rather than having a "hood" as many cities do. It has a master bedroom and two small bedrooms upstairs, and a bigger "bedroom" (or whatever) and bathroom in the finished basement, and a single car garage. 3 1/2 baths. It really feels like a whole lot of living space for the price, and I'll be sad to leave it. Bet they jump the rent up the minute we're out, though. I might peek around for the listing to see how much of an increase they're asking for, just out of curiosity, when the time comes.
thanks for the reply. Sorry so slow. on my part.

I have family in Phoenix and they love living there. It's a little too hot for me but I have thought about a hot dry climate for short term. If I knew it would help me with my neuropathy. My mom lives in Vegas and she said that was the best move they made. Now my brother and sister also live there.

We lived in a kind of sketchy area and lived in kind of a dump but the rent was so low we stayed there 9 years and in that time our rent was raised only one time. Plus we had a clause if we paid before the first we could get $25 knocked off. We moved because I was pregnant and I was ready to leave there. Our landlord offered us basically 3 free months if signed a 6 month lease. But we had already committed to the new place.

Good luck in Phoenix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 10:33 AM

14,180 posts, read 7,394,163 times
What are the heating costs like in Colorado Springs or surrounding areas? Is it natural gas, propane, electric? If I were to buy a townhome, does the HOA take care of weatherproofing the outside and snow removal?

Anybody here live in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom house or townhome who can give me an estimate of what a heating bill would be in the middle of winter? Do you ever need a/c?

Old 02-03-2021, 11:09 AM

23,453 posts, read 43,193,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
What are the heating costs like in Colorado Springs or surrounding areas? Is it natural gas, propane, electric? If I were to buy a townhome, does the HOA take care of weatherproofing the outside and snow removal?

Anybody here live in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom house or townhome who can give me an estimate of what a heating bill would be in the middle of winter? Do you ever need a/c?
Natural gas is a major source of heat, cooking and hot water in the area served by COLO SPGS Utilities (CSU) and since CSU is a city-owned utility the prices for gas, electricity and water are cheaper than many other COLO cities.

Some HOAs take care of snow removal for sidewalks and outside maintenance items but it depends on the HOA, so you'd have to check each property.

I lived in an HOA there, single family homes, and they only cleaned sidewalks that were "common area" sidewalks. As a homeowner I was on my own for all property maintenance and snow removal.

Any given HOA will be different from the others, find a realtor to work with (I'm not one) and let them do that legwork for you; the really good ones will already have the answers.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:28 AM

Thank you Mike.

Old 02-03-2021, 03:26 PM

1,625 posts, read 2,794,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

I have a townhome. For utilities, my bill is around $110-$120/month outside of peak heating/cooling months and $140-$150 during peak heating/cooling months. I do have an AC. Pre-covid I usually just ran it for a couple hours when I got home from work to cool the place down. When covid hit, I became full time work from home and definitely used it more last year just because I was home more.

With a townhome, typically the HOA owns the outside of the place. My HOA takes care of snow removal and landscaping. They also responsible for the outside of the structure, painting, roof, etc. That comes with a price as townhome HOA's will be more expensive than a single family home HOA(my HOA fee is for the townhome is $190/month).

Old 02-03-2021, 04:09 PM

6,273 posts, read 8,633,077 times
I live in a small detached home in Security. My water bill is usually about $35-45, trash is $45/quarter, gas heat varies but averages maybe $30/month, electric averages maybe $45/month. Snow removal you should really ask about because most neighborhoods here really don't have much snow removal even on the streets let alone sidewalks. In the middle of winter, my gas heating bill is maybe $60-90. I have AC and am VERY glad to have it in summer.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:30 AM

Wow - I was expecting the gas bills to be much higher. My electric bill runs about $80-90 in the cooler months and around $130 in the summer. Our water bills here in SW Florida are quite high and my last one was actually $30 more than the electric bill. (My house is all electric). There are three of us living here now but even when it was just me my water bill was around $80 a month but that includes the sewer charge. What do most people there keep their thermostat set at in the winter?

I check the weather in Colorado Springs every day and I don't remember seeing too many hot days there. When it's hot is it humid or dry? Any wildfires there?

Old 02-04-2021, 07:48 AM

3,786 posts, read 3,207,305 times
Humidity in Cos averages single digits through most of winter and low teens and twenties through most of the summer. There certainly are exceptions when humidity is much higher, such as during storms, but those high figures are not the norm. The dryness here is how we get the acclaimed "champagne powder" that CO ski resorts are famous for.

Cos rarely gets wildfires near the city. Fort Carson does have occasional grassfires from training, but they typically can be put down within a few hours. The Waldo Canyon in 2012 and Black Forest in 2013 were both significant wildfires that were both in and near the city and were somewhat exceptional. The next closest one was the Hayman in 2002 which was 35 miles away. However, due to the atmosphere in the west, it is possible for us to get smoke and ash from fires that are easily several hundred miles away.

Will we have more wildfires in or near the city, its hard to say exactly. There are some places in the city that have potential risk of these. As the population increases, the opportunity for them similarly increases and I would have a hard time saying the worst times for this are past us. IMO, they may be ahead of us.

Cos Utilities also offers a budget billing program where they can take an annual survey of your utilites and amortize it over 12 months. This is a great way to flatten out those spikes of exceptionally hot or cold months. However, you have to live in a place attached to city utilities. This wouldn't apply to Monument, Fountain, Manitou, etc.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:42 AM

1,281 posts, read 1,501,654 times
Colorado Springs rent prices are reasonable if you have plenty of money, it is a city for the upper-middle class with money, it is no longer the affordable place to live, with all the high paying jobs the current market rate is getting closer and closer to the other cities everyone wants to move to, San Diego, Raliegh, and Austin, ( according to a recent article about millennials )

Old 02-05-2021, 07:21 AM

I've discovered that CS is out of my price range. Oddly enough there was something on MSN listing the top 10 most expensive places to retire and Colorado was number 2 right after Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs