Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 04:49 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times

Advertisements

The show of air power is just starting over Colorado Springs. A series of flyovers Saturday will precede the 1 p.m. football game between the Falcons and the Golden Knights of the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y.

Air Force owns the skies ahead of Saturday's game against Army | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

Several aircraft will buzz the stadium to whip up the Air Force crowd. The rarest of them is the U-2 Dragon Lady, a spy plane designed in the 1950s. The plane is 63 feet from nose to tail, with a 103-foot wingspan, allowing it to fly at altitudes topping 70,000 feet to spy on enemy targets.

The U-2 will be joined in the sky by a flight of A-10s, the Air Force's tank killer. The twin-engine jet is heavily armored and packs a massive 30-mm cannon to destroy ground targets.

The gun gives the A-10 a pug-nosed appearance that earned it the nickname "Warthog."

The A-10's prettier cousin will also visit. F-16 fighters from Buckley Air Force Base, sleek single-engine fighters known for their nimble handling, will lance over the stadium.

The 10-ton fighter will be dwarfed by another plane joining the show.

A 100-ton B-1 bomber is scheduled to fly past. It can carry more than 60 tons of bombs.

You don't need tickets to the football game to see the planes.

They'll fly over western Colorado Springs on their way north, giving half the town a show. They'll also be visible in northern neighborhoods as they pass. One note of caution: You can watch the planes from anywhere except Interstate 25. The Colorado State Patrol frowns on drivers who turn into plane spotters.

If the weather cooperates, a good place to watch is near Voyager and Interquest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 06:00 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,581 times
How fun to read this! I thought I heard the T-birds, but with the crazy wind up on my hill, I wasn't sure if it was them or just wind noise. Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-05-2017, 02:25 PM

216 posts, read 189,710 times
USAF veteran here! Wish I could have been there to witness the flyovers! I'll be there next October, 2018!

Old 11-05-2017, 03:01 PM

26,220 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
USAF veteran here! Wish I could have been there to witness the flyovers! I'll be there next October, 2018!
If you're there next May you'll get to see the Thunderbirds make an appearance at graduation time. They practice there a couple of days then do their show on graduation day which is, IIRC, the Wednesday right after Memorial Day. Best vantage point is from the parking lots at Interquest Pkwy and I-25 right across from Falcon Stadium; from there you can see the whole valley. Use the search tool to find our thread called Thunderbirds, it has lots of pix.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:22 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,847 times
Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate. High winds grounded everything except for a pair of B-1's.

Couple of shots I got:

Old 11-08-2017, 03:46 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
Nice Picture!

One advantage of living in Colorado Springs is being able to frequently see the most cool Air Force aircraft flying overhead. I've seen them many times just showing up with no notice near the Air force Academy.

We boys love our toys!

Old 11-08-2017, 07:14 AM

216 posts, read 189,710 times
Great photos, Brill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs