Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 5,126 times

Advertisements

Hello, first thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am a 25 year old female who works in many job functions mostly public oriented i.e (Retail supervisor, Senior sales associate, customer service representative, housekeeper, personal assistant, receptionist, server, cashier, massage therapist, ect. sort of a jack of all trades). My husband is 26 years old hes been a general laborer, housekeeper, and food service worker but also has a background in 3D animation. Total income per year is just under $60K. We are looking to move ASAP with our 3 cats. We are headed for Colorado Springs. I have some family members I can stay with there for about 2 weeks. The urgency is because I recently quit my job and my husband is also on the verge of loosing his as well. We have recognized our need for a change about 2 years ago but something always happens that decimates our moving budget and savings (medical bills). We are thinking with the opportunity to have a point A when we get there from my family and income tax coming through that it may be best if we plan for February or March to move from Phoenix to Colorado Springs. I am worried without jobs already lined up would we be able to get a place to rent? We have consistent job history and I know we can bounce into new jobs quickly but how will the rental community handle us? Would we need a co-signer (rare but maybe possible)? We have decent credit and just paid off alot of old debt about 3 months ago so probably looking even better now. We are aggressive when it comes to job searching and home searching so we are not afraid of putting some elbow grease into it. I should be able to find employment and get steady paychecks within two months time frame. Which would help prospective rental communities accept us. What other type of temporary rental opportunities are there? Motels with cheap monthly or weekly rents that accept cats? Not quite sure how to find that info and my google searches are coming up empty. I figured lets go to the experts of this area and learn from your knowledge.

Also any other advice about our move is gratefully accepted.
I have the moving truck figured out and all of our stuff is already packed into plastic tubs and in a storage unit here in Phoenix so I just need to put it in the truck and put my car on the tow dolly on the back off we go. If you have any other questions on background info please ask (I know you will)
Thank you in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 PM

26,337 posts, read 49,345,742 times
Google short term rental, or extended stay rentals and see what pops up. Some will take pets. Our thread on the topic is about 5 years old and probably not much help.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:05 PM

6,834 posts, read 10,615,828 times
My main concern would be the employment issue - the type of work you listed doesn't sound like 60k/year here but that just may be in the details you didn't go into -- but if you can find some classifieds/listings in your fields that are similar to your current/prior employment for the pay you are used to I'd have hope for you. I'd start applying now if possible.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
My main concern would be the employment issue - the type of work you listed doesn't sound like 60k/year here but that just may be in the details you didn't go into -- but if you can find some classifieds/listings in your fields that are similar to your current/prior employment for the pay you are used to I'd have hope for you. I'd start applying now if possible.
yes well housekeeper as a general term for both of us however it is more detailed than that we clean operating rooms and trauma bays in hospitals it pays more than you'd think for the biohazards you take on.
i make about $28,880 which translates to $15 per hour for any of the jobs i mentioned above for myself. and he makes a little less than i do with side jobs included it comes out to about $60,000 per year.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:25 PM

also thank you both for your replies!

Old 11-28-2017, 11:57 PM

235 posts, read 358,632 times
Securing rental housing without employment will be very hard unless you bring a big stack of cash and pretty much perfect credit to the table. In short you have to be able to prove to landlords why they should take a risk on you and pass up someone else who is already employed. Not saying it's impossible, but with the huge shortage of rentals here your competition will be fierce, especially in the better / safer parts of town.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:36 AM

216 posts, read 191,772 times
You can start checking out the "Jobs" forum on Craigslist for Colorado Springs:

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/search/jjj

Old 11-29-2017, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 4,153 times
Mountainearth is spot on. We moved up to Colorado Springs last spring from southern NM. I had a job already lined up, but was still surprised at 1) cost of living here is much higher NM and 2) rentals are tight and expensive (as is homes in general). It was hectic to say the least. Try and get the job lined out before coming up. Most rental places will want to see proof of income. There's jobs here as its a growing town. Even though this fall /winter season has been comfortable, I would expect winter weather to arrive at some point. That maybe an expense you should consider, ie tires, clothing, etc. good luck. ken

Old 11-29-2017, 09:24 AM

3,962 posts, read 4,440,629 times
My son and his wife moved back here from Phoenix in May. They finally secured a rental that they will move into next month. They were being pretty particular about things and likely could have found something sooner, but they were adamant about location and schools.

There are only two civilian hospital systems in Cos with four hospitals. There are numerous unaffiliated critical care/ emergency centers. University of Colorado Health is one, https://www.uchealth.org/ and Penrose-St Francis is the other, https://www.centura.org/locations/pe...ealth-services if you want to browse their sites for employment opportunities.

COL is a step or two higher than Phoenix while pay maybe a step or two lower. One of my friends refers to it as the mountain tax you pay for living here.

Many other local jobs can be found at the local workforce center called Connecting Colorado, https://www.connectingcolorado.com/

Old 01-08-2018, 12:51 AM

seriously thanks guys lots of good info here for me to expand my thoughts and regroup on my plans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs