Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2017, 09:02 AM

50,891 posts, read 24,393,171 times

Advertisements

The stretch of the new Woodmen Road near North Union Bouldevard...dumbest design of a road I've ever seen. I'm glad I first saw what they were doing in the daylight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 11:13 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,397,550 times
I do find it amusing that even though this is not completed yet, it has been in the news for a month with instructions on how to use it and CSPD has been out directing traffic through it. When the new layout on the Fillmore overpass was opened, it got a blip in the news each day that week and that was it.

Believe it or not the Fillmore layout flows A LOT more traffic than the old linear layout. Yes, it still backs up considerably, but you aren't sitting there for 15-20 minutes any more either. You can get through it all in less than 10 minutes in even the heaviest traffic.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:39 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,531,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I do find it amusing that even though this is not completed yet, it has been in the news for a month with instructions on how to use it and CSPD has been out directing traffic through it. When the new layout on the Fillmore overpass was opened, it got a blip in the news each day that week and that was it.

Believe it or not the Fillmore layout flows A LOT more traffic than the old linear layout. Yes, it still backs up considerably, but you aren't sitting there for 15-20 minutes any more either. You can get through it all in less than 10 minutes in even the heaviest traffic.
I was skeptical of the Fillmore interchange but it really does work well, imho.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:51 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,397,550 times
I was also skeptical of the design when first presented and wondered if the designers were hitting the hash pipe in the process, but it does indeed flow well. Most of my trips through it can hit all the lights and breeze through it in practically no time. I do wish they added the additional eastbound lane instead of the 12' wide sidewalk, but it still gets cars through there pretty darn quickly.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:47 PM

930 posts, read 1,655,846 times
I love that interchange at Fillmore. Especially when I would hit the light on the old bridge and feel the bridge would shake under all the traffic.

Phetaroi, I hear they have those interchanges in Austin as well. You can go visit those there too!

Old 12-29-2017, 08:58 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,531,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
I love that interchange at Fillmore. Especially when I would hit the light on the old bridge and feel the bridge would shake under all the traffic.

Phetaroi, I hear they have those interchanges in Austin as well. You can go visit those there too!
Oh I agree! I used to hate being stopped on that bridge. I know it was designed to shake like that but I just didn't like it.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:43 PM

1,013 posts, read 979,347 times
I first used one of these exiting I 25 into Santa Fe. I’m reserving my judgment at this point.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:49 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,114,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Oh I agree! I used to hate being stopped on that bridge. I know it was designed to shake like that but I just didn't like it.
Me too! I think that’s the bridge with the “rocker joint” suspension?

Apparently we are lucky we don’t get to see it from underneath, it has caused more than a few calls from concerned citizens to city officials.

It was like some rule of the Universe that when I was stopped on that bridge, the guy in the next lane would be driving a cement mixer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs