Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Colorado Springs a better place to live today than it was 10 years ago?
Yes. 9 37.50%
No. 9 37.50%
About the same. 2 8.33%
Some ways but not all ways. 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 05:03 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times

Advertisements

I lived there 1962-1966 and married a girl from there. We visited a lot, from 1967-1996 when we divorced. We watched the city grow from a small place into dumpsville. Fortunately, she lived near the Broadmoor, and the neighborhood close to it, and around CC, hasn't changed very much since 1967.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 06:43 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,856,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I added a poll to this thread to keep score; please vote.
I wish there was "some, but not all, aspects of it" as a choice.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:10 PM

26,204 posts, read 49,007,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I wish there was "some, but not all, aspects of it" as a choice.
Done.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Done.

Thanks Mike.

Guess I'll try and see if voting more than once is allowed.

Nope, not allowed.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:10 PM

26,204 posts, read 49,007,205 times
Quote:
Thanks Mike.

Guess I'll try and see if voting more than once is allowed.
Let me know which column to subtract your earlier vote and in which column you want me to move it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:37 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,304,358 times
Better now than it was in 2008? Heck yes!

Back then, the economy was heading down. For example, the low in the S&P 500 was in March 2009 at 666; it's now at 2810 (+321%). Colorado Springs was impacted by that event and we had a lot of housing foreclosures, vacant retail shops, and layoffs. By 2009 our unemployment rate was very high although I don't remember the exact number.

Now we have record low unemployment but rents and house costs are going up much faster than wages. If you own a home free and clear, the rents don't impact you. But if you are a renter, I'll bet you feel that things are getting worse, not better because wages have not kept up with rents.

I live north of Woodman Rd and we've had a lot of good development since then. Just about everything I need exists within about a 2 mile radius of my house. One especially good thing is expanding Medical facilities nearby. Both Memorial Hospital and St Francis Hospital systems are now adding new facilities to their medical campuses. As a retiree, having access to excellent medical care nearby is essential.

There are very few houses for sale nearby. I think that's an indication of satisfaction of living in this area. If people didn't like the area they would leave.

The one negative for me is increased traffic. To avoid it I mostly do shopping during the week and venture out only very early.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:09 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Better now than it was in 2008? Heck yes!

Back then, the economy was heading down. For example, the low in the S&P 500 was in March 2009 at 666; it's now at 2810 (+321%). Colorado Springs was impacted by that event and we had a lot of housing foreclosures, vacant retail shops, and layoffs. By 2009 our unemployment rate was very high although I don't remember the exact number.

Now we have record low unemployment but rents and house costs are going up much faster than wages. If you own a home free and clear, the rents don't impact you. But if you are a renter, I'll bet you feel that things are getting worse, not better because wages have not kept up with rents.

I live north of Woodman Rd and we've had a lot of good development since then. Just about everything I need exists within about a 2 mile radius of my house. One especially good thing is expanding Medical facilities nearby. Both Memorial Hospital and St Francis Hospital systems are now adding new facilities to their medical campuses. As a retiree, having access to excellent medical care nearby is essential.

There are very few houses for sale nearby. I think that's an indication of satisfaction of living in this area. If people didn't like the area they would leave.

The one negative for me is increased traffic. To avoid it I mostly do shopping during the week and venture out only very early.
The renter vs. the home owner thing seems to be the crux of the issue. If I still owned property in the Springs, I'd be much more excited about moving back. However as a renter, I feel scandalized at prices in neighborhoods that once upon a time were affordable, safe and scenic. It now appears that the only neighborhoods I could still afford to rent in are places that I would never have considered back in the day. I must say that it also puts me off when I read through threads like the one about the current NIMBY movement in Broadmoor Bluffs against Greccio's proposed affordable housing project.

Seriously?

Broadmoor Bluffs has become that swank? Greccio's properties were always well built and well maintained back in the day. Now home owners in the Springs don't want "those people" in their neighborhoods? Maybe "those people" don't want to live next to YOU Mr. or Ms. Broadmoor Bluffs. I just so happen to qualify for senior housing in an affordable unit like those built by Greccio. If my neighbors are going to spit on my shoes, I'm not going to move back just to experience that. Try spitting 400 miles Broadmoor Bluffs.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Let me know which column to subtract your earlier vote and in which column you want me to move it.
Well, I voted no ... but that's not how I really feel. It's just that "yes" didn't reflect how I feel about how the Springs has changed. When I moved here from the western slope in the early 1980s, the size of Colorado Springs was my perfect cup of tea.

So, there are aspects that are better, and other ways, not so much. That's why I suggested another category. The one you added would be how I would have voted.

Thanks.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
The renter vs. the home owner thing seems to be the crux of the issue. If I still owned property in the Springs, I'd be much more excited about moving back. However as a renter, I feel scandalized at prices in neighborhoods that once upon a time were affordable, safe and scenic. It now appears that the only neighborhoods I could still afford to rent in are places that I would never have considered back in the day. I must say that it also puts me off when I read through threads like the one about the current NIMBY movement in Broadmoor Bluffs against Greccio's proposed affordable housing project.

Seriously?

Broadmoor Bluffs has become that swank? Greccio's properties were always well built and well maintained back in the day. Now home owners in the Springs don't want "those people" in their neighborhoods? Maybe "those people" don't want to live next to YOU Mr. or Ms. Broadmoor Bluffs. I just so happen to qualify for senior housing in an affordable unit like those built by Greccio. If my neighbors are going to spit on my shoes, I'm not going to move back just to experience that. Try spitting 400 miles Broadmoor Bluffs.
Yeah ... it appears that to some people, "affordable housing" is a four-letter word.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:26 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,937,901 times
Quote:
Yeah ... it appears that to some people, "affordable housing" is a four-letter word.
As someone who grew up in Broadmoor Bluffs and recently moved away I think alot of the people there are low key racists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs