Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 07:57 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Like all the big-pharma commercials, what they are doing is not technically illegal, however distasteful it may be. We live in a society that, for better or worse, is reasonably money/wealth driven AND in which we all have the freedom to decide what we're willing to do to get filthy rich. Given the millions and millions of people making individual decisions, tens of thousands of whom have law degrees, it is sadly inevitable that a small number of lawyers (and big-pharma companies) will blanket the airwaves and city buses with their name and face. If it wasn't the Strong Arm and those other groups it'd be someone else. The drive to get rich at whatever the cost is just too strong. The fact it's legal makes it inevitable. I hate to say "just accept it" but I'm not sure what other reasonable approach exists. Letting it bother you is like letting the fact that politicians are owned and operated by their biggest donors bother you. Or letting the fact that high-profile televangelists end up being frauds bother you. Or letting the fact that 80% of the population now stares at their cell phones while driving or crossing the street bother you. It's all gross, yes, but it is what it is. Just part of the sad chatter and noise of modern life.
Not sure there is much similarity between these lawyer ads and pharma ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 08:20 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Not sure there is much similarity between these lawyer ads and pharma ads.
One similarity is that myself and my wife thoroughly HATE both types of adds.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:26 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Me too!

That's why they invented that "mute" button on the remote. Mine shows a LOT of wear.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,800 times
Watching the olympics, Azar is on 2-3 times every commercial break.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:25 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
I remember when my (now 18 year old) granddaughter was staying with us for a week when we lived in Divide. She saw Frank Azar commercials and would raise her arm like she was making a muscle and saying, "I da stwong man!!" My husband was an attorney in Woodland Park, but he did primarily real estate, estates, wills, etc. He was disgusted by the "ambulance chasers".

Here in Tucson, we have them too. "The Eagle" -- Goldberg & Osburne; Showard Law Firm of Sarah Showard; Zane's Law are the three that advertise all the time.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:52 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
Quote:
It’s the same everywhere.
Did not have them where I moved from. No fault state? We had bazillions of car ads instead.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:56 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Exactly, both type of ads (lawyer and pharma) are utterly unwanted/despised and both are (somewhat) new phenomena (increasingly over the past 12-15 years) and both are fundamental to the business model of the particular industry (high-volume PI lawyers and big pharma companies seeking to push consumers to demand a certain drug from their doctor) and both type of ads OBVIOUSLY WORK for their intended purpose or they would not literally dominate commercial breaks.

These ads have more in common than not. In fact despite the somewhat different formats they're basically the exact same add, over and over again, as the formula for each never varies, always exactly the same thing. Both will continue to blanket the airwaves with their foulness until some legislature somewhere puts the genies back in the bottle they used to be in, back in the good ole days, which I'm guessing ain't happening anytime soon.

Refusing to watch live TV (except public television) is the answer here. Make the DVR your friend and 3x fast forward the commercials. Problem (mostly) solved.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:59 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Lawyer ads a problem?

Pffff. Try taking your house of the market (for whatever reason) and get ready to be constantly bombarded for months by real estate agents who break the no-call law constantly, who keep knocking on my door, and least offensive of all keep sending me brochures. They are like vultures. I can count on the calls starting by 8:30 a.m. and going into the early evening. At least 3 a day, sometimes more. They are pests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs