Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:05 PM

8,600 posts, read 14,810,427 times

Advertisements

The Broadmoor won't reopen the railway this spring, and they're conducting a 2-3 year review to determine whether or not to shut it down for good.

https://m.gazette.com/future-in-doub...rticle/1622619
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 07:22 PM

6,809 posts, read 10,464,895 times
Oh that's not good news....

Old 03-14-2018, 04:06 AM

7,152 posts, read 9,245,461 times
Default Future in doubt for Pikes Peak Cog Railway, a Colorado Springs legacy tourist attraction

Future in doubt for Pikes Peak Cog Railway, a Colorado Springs legacy tourist attraction

Future in doubt for Pikes Peak Cog Railway, a Colorado Springs legacy tourist attraction | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

"After more than a century as one of the area's premier tourist attractions, the Pikes Peak Cog Railway's future is in doubt .

The railway, which has shuttled generations of visitors on breathtaking, 8.9-mile trips to the summit of Pikes Peak and back, won't reopen this spring after several months of maintenance, and it could remain closed for up to three years while its owner, The Broadmoor hotel, studies its fate, hotel President and CEO Jack Damioli said Tuesday.

After that process, it might be rebuilt or might never reopen, he said.

"We want to run a five-star, five-diamond operation, including the railroad," Damioli said of the hotel and amenities. "We need to take a look at the next step."

The train is worn out. It might cost more than it is worth to replace its infrastructure. What happens next?

This reminds me of San Francisco. When faced with a similar fate regarding its also obsolete cable cars, San Francisco rallied and renewed the cable cars. They are a huge tourist attraction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fr...ble_car_system

Pikes Peak, similarly, is our huge tourist attraction. The cog train is by far the most memorable way to attain the summit.

I'll bet this topic will soon become a very big deal.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:06 AM

I bet it will, too. I would very disappointed to see that go away.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:07 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,186,232 times
Did not know the Broadmoor had their hand in this business also- it will come down to dollars and cents and if it will return a profit on the investments they have to make to the business. Tradition be damned.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:33 AM

1,330 posts, read 695,520 times
IMHO, it could be replaced with a mini-bus service. While the concept of the train is neat, I much preferred to drive up (or hike!) as you see so much more.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:52 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,909,892 times
Once upon a time the Broadmoor used to sponsor all sorts of things that helped make the Springs a great place to live. There was the Broadmoor Ski Area - not exactly Aspen, but a great way to get in some ski practice waaay back when I was in High School. The Broadmoor also had a skating rink where Olympian Peggy Fleming polished up her rifs. I learned to ice skate there myself. The Broadmoor even used to host the Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo on its grounds. My Dad used to take me there when I was just a child growing up in Ivywild.

Sic transit gloria mundi...

Old 03-14-2018, 09:40 AM

26,156 posts, read 48,854,662 times
Like many billionaires, the one who owns this attraction will run it into the ground then foist it onto the city or state to own, repair, maintain and operate.

Merged two threads into one and put it in the COLO SPGS forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:30 AM

Well they did 'save' Seven Falls from being closed by making a huge investment in it. I don't like everything about the way they run the place, but I do think it is actually nicer the way they have you park and they shuttle you in and you can walk up the canyon without worrying about being run over - it is a more 'natural' experience now. And some may like or dislike the ziplines that they added - those are no joke! Their prices are actually a dollar less per person than when the Hills last had it before the floods. I kind of miss the tradition of driving up to see the colored falls lights but they did have this year and they were pretty. I'm kind of 'meh' about the restaurant vs. the kitschy gift shop - I had some really good food there but I think it is a bit 'snooty' for the majority of their clientele that are actually visiting the Falls vs. the hotel guests they're trying to cater to there.

So, maybe there is hope for the Cog Railroad. It is quite an institution. I can understand that it may be a huge expense to keep it up, since like everything in this city, maintenance was deferred to the point that results in a huge expense put on the next generation, but I hope people find a way....

Old 03-14-2018, 12:37 PM

7,152 posts, read 9,245,461 times
How about selling it to the city of Manitou for $1

Manitou could then issue municipal bonds to do the repairs and pay for it with pot money taxes.

Get high and go high!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs