Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 08:03 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
orngkat has nailed it. Colorado Springs has oodles of potential, but a decidedly conservative population which looks at innovation with suspicion and the smallest tax hike to improve roads and/or education with outright horror. This sort of thinking has left the Springs all too often just spinning its wheels and getting nowhere except more over-crowded.

You couldn't ask for more scenic attractions, great educational facilities like Colorado College and UCCS, an outstanding county-wide library system, an up and coming live entertainment/night scene and more.

Yet so many of the things that go into the making of a great city are lacking. There's no mass transit system to make it easier to get around and cut pollution/climate change. Good luck getting Springs voters to let go of so much as an extra penny in taxes for road improvements, better schools for the region's children, and help getting the ever increasing numbers of homeless people off the streets to name but a few.
My opinion on that lacking part of the equation is this; historically, Cos depended on wealthy benefactors to provide for those perks that make places great. Palmer and his donation land & parks, Stratton and the trolley lines, civic buildings, and family concerts, the Penroses and their arts and entertainment promotions, the Hunts and their promotion of local natural history attractions, and now some people sit back and waits for Anschutz and Sanders to continue the tradition. Since the Penrose era is still recent enough for the successful boomers from that time to remember, they are not motivated to enact the change. They are waiting for it to come to us. There are not enough Gen Xers to push the change. Perhaps there is opportunity in the upcoming generations to push it over the top. They are large in number and demand progressive improvements. They collectively are redefining work/life practices. They may be the ones to make that change through sheer numbers and since we actually are attracting large numbers of them, they may be the best hope of change. Even just my reciting of this demonstrates a "lets see" attitude that is a core trait of Cos. I can envision a huge and sweeping change to a certain portion of the city that is not seen by others, yet I do nothing to pursue it. Perhaps, we are our own worst enemy to the change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 06:32 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,067 times
Quote:
orngkat has nailed it. Colorado Springs has oodles of potential, but a decidedly conservative population which looks at innovation with suspicion and the smallest tax hike to improve roads and/or education with outright horror. This sort of thinking has left the Springs all too often just spinning its wheels and getting nowhere except more over-crowded.

You couldn't ask for more scenic attractions, great educational facilities like Colorado College and UCCS, an outstanding county-wide library system, an up and coming live entertainment/night scene and more.

Yet so many of the things that go into the making of a great city are lacking. There's no mass transit system to make it easier to get around and cut pollution/climate change. Good luck getting Springs voters to let go of so much as an extra penny in taxes for road improvements, better schools for the region's children, and help getting the ever increasing numbers of homeless people off the streets to name but a few.

If you are wondering why, part of the answer may be in DrDog's post:

Housing costs are the primary component of the overall cost of living just about everywhere in the US, Colorado Springs included. How can you possibly believe otherwise unless you've been a trust funder or something all your life and never have had to worry about paying the rent.

And nobody much enjoys the experience of coping with the funky bus system in the Springs - be they young and professional or old and (re)tired. But when the Washington DC area first put the new metro system into operation, I was very impressed. At the time, I could easily envision myself getting a cute little place in Arlington and riding into DC to my cool new job as the head of the science collection at the Library of Congress. And there are plenty of other mass transit systems in various US cities that seem to be doing a good job. I think they're a great way to avoid the constant battle with traffic, on-going searches for parking places, and a way of saving on expenses by moth-balling your car during the week.

You seem to be arguing just for the sake of argument Dr. D.
And you seem to miss my points as you only see your own.

Building a 100 or so affordable condos for those living in poverty will do nothing for the average price of a house.

Getting on a bus, especially late at night in a bad part of town is not what gen-x’ers do. They call Lyft, or Uber or they drive their car.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:33 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
I can't wait to buy a rental property here.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:55 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I can't wait to buy a rental property here.
Real estate here is quite lucrative.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:31 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Real estate here is quite lucrative.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:22 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Yeah, and if you gotta ask how much, you can afford to buy into the current real estate game.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:30 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Yeah, and if you gotta ask how much, you can afford to buy into the current real estate game.
Rambler I think you will be amazed at how much the springs has changed if you decide to come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs