Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 01:49 PM

50,469 posts, read 24,054,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Going to the mall in Denver kind of explains why we can’t support a mall here. If you shopped here, our local mall would do better.
I would shop here...except the selection of stores and the selection of stuff in the stores is so lousy here. I can't buy stuff that ain't here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Definitely this. People act afraid of the Citadel as if it is some gangland or something but there's nothing wrong with aside from losing big anchors - however Chapel Hills has the same issue and honestly the Citadel is a bit nicer, imho. There is far too much of a mentality in this city that certain areas of town are slums and dangerous to go to, etc., when that is so far from the truth and does a great disservice to a big portion of this city and the people living in those areas. It frankly disgusts me.
Very true.

I have friends who talk about Colorado Springs' "ghetto".

Having lived in Washington, D.C., where you might call a few areas a ghetto, and looking at what we have here...it just shows so much ignorance.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I disagree that the Promenade is a strip mall. It is a medium sized outdoor mall that has been the recent trend in shopping areas.
Here's the definition of a strip mall: "a shopping mall consisting of stores and restaurants typically in one-story buildings located on a busy main road".

Old 05-24-2018, 06:36 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,929,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I know what you mean re New Haven. I'm from CT and used to live near New Haven before coming out to Colorado - there were parts of that city I wouldn't go near, but that's not the case in Colorado Springs.

It's been said before - "scary" parts here are not the same as "scary" parts back east (or elsewhere).
Yea I don't even think Denver is scary I had no problems walking around at night. When I visited Philadelphia that was a different story.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:24 PM

1,013 posts, read 972,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Here's the definition of a strip mall: "a shopping mall consisting of stores and restaurants typically in one-story buildings located on a busy main road".
Then I guess Rodeo drive is a strip mall.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Then I guess Rodeo drive is a strip mall.
I don't know about Rodeo Drive. I'm talking about COS.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:56 AM

114 posts, read 125,074 times
Quote:
I don't know about Rodeo Drive. I'm talking about COS.
Is there anything you CAN agree with???

You ask why Springs can't support a mall like Park Meadows, and you dismiss every opinion offered. Right down to where IKEA is located, and the subjective definition of a strip mall!

What a wasted thread. Every post has something valuable to offer, except yours!

You must be real fun to shop with!

Old 05-25-2018, 03:14 AM

4,495 posts, read 4,576,495 times
I think indoor malls are pretty much a thing of the past. Nowadays it seems the current trend is large outdoor malls that looks like it could be a downtown area in a small city with large apartment complexes and condos and grocery stores nearby.

Austin has nearly a million people and only 2 indoor malls, when 10 or 15 years ago there were 4 indoor malls, including one mall that had an ice skating rink. One of those malls is about 34 years old and the other is about 18 years old. I can think of at least 5 large outdoor type malls in the Austin metro that have been built in the last 10 to 15 years.

A couple of those outdoor malls are up-scale, high-end shopping areas and it seems like some are becoming entertainment districts.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:40 AM

7,154 posts, read 9,258,516 times
People prefer the outdoor "malls". I think that if you just want to buy one thing from one store, it's easier to park your car nearest that store.

Also, enclosed malls likely have a much higher overhead cost. Heating and cooling and maintaining all those common enclosed areas costs a bunch. That translates into higher rents.

Lower cost usually wins.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:12 PM

17,944 posts, read 27,377,476 times
Quote:
Our two malls here are pathetic, particularly Citadel. Why can't a city of this size support a decent mall?

Instead, we've become the land of strip malls. Much of Academy is one big strip mall. Much of Powers is one big strip mall.

Don't tell me retail is dead. I was up at Park Meadows yesterday and I've never seen a mall parking lot so filled with cars other than the week before Christmas. I had the park at the farthest fringes of the parking lot. And inside the mall it was terribly crowded.

It's because Denver is better.

You guys have the best Electronics store ever. It's called OEM.

Sorry for the fuzzy photo, but this is just one isle of pure gold.

Hancock and Filmore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs