Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 12:26 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times

Advertisements

Go to Zillow and use search terms of a $230,000, 3 bed, 2 bath house. The vast majority of the homes you will find in that price point are all on the southeast side of town, and there's a reason for that. It's typically a lower income area. And with lower income comes increased crime. It's a fact, not opinion. I suppose if you like your neighborhoods to be a bit more diverse, you'd be ok there. The southeast side of town, especially the Pikes Peak Park area, holds the vast majority of Colorado Spring's Hispanic population.

There's a reason it got the nickname of "Little Juarez"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 07:41 AM

14 posts, read 12,883 times
We homeschool, so I'm not worried about the actual experience of going to those schools, but that is good to know.

From what I've read here and seen elsewhere, it seems like 80911 (Security/Widefield) may be the best option for us. Has anyone had any issues there?

Old 08-31-2018, 10:27 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
I grew up there and still choose to live there - 40+ years now. I can't think of any major issues. A few years ago we found out some of our well water was contaminated with a fire-fighting chemical from nearby military bases. Now we're on different water sources or have a filter in place depending on where you live. That's the only thing that particularly comes to mind and I see it as mostly resolved. Oh, we got hit twice this summer by hail storms but so did a lot of other places in town.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:02 PM

31 posts, read 27,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimessoup View Post
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any advice you may have. My husband has a job offer in Colorado Springs. We are considering moving our family there, but we are restricted to living in certain zip codes as part of the job requirement (they don't allow exceptions). These are the zip codes:

My main concern for our family is safety. I realize that is really subjective, but am looking for your opinions. Are there any of these you would rule out based on safety? Any you would rate high on the safe list? Would you live in one of those zip codes, which ones? I keep reading how the south/east/southeast is less desirable and higher crime, so I am leery about it, having never been to the area. His company will fly us out to pick out a home a month or so before moving, but we have to decide if we are going on very short notice, so no time to travel there first.

As for other info, we would like our investment to be in an area that would hold it's value since we may likely move again at some point years down the road. He would work from home mainly with some travel within these zip codes a few times a week, so commute really isn't an issue. We homeschool (secular), so we aren't concerned with schools, just the area in general. Our absolute max price for a home would be around $300k, we'd like to stay below that if possible. Our house now is much lower but our taxes are much higher, so I think we can go up some in price there. Renting is an option, but usually we buy when moving because of the relocation benefits his company offers. We enjoy doing fun things with the kids often, but don't mind driving and I understand it is pretty easy to get to all areas around town. A park or two close by would be nice though as we go often. A quieter area would be nice as well, but mainly I just want to know that we would feel safe walking around the neighborhood, running errands, etc.

Thank you so much for any help/input! I'm looking forward to the opinions.
While I'm unable (legally) to direct you to certain areas based on safety (I'll leave it to the others to direct you there), I can tell you that there are nice areas all over Colorado Springs and within all of these zip codes.

As far as investments holding value, I believe you are good there, we have seen a steady/and rather large increase of property values year over year for the last 4yrs, and I don't anticipate a huge burst/or decrease anytime soon with all of the continued growth to the area and as long as financing stays strictly regulated (no "B" paper loans/loans without proof of income etc etc).

I think some of the other questions you want to ask yourself are: What type of areas/neighborhoods do I feel most comfortable in? What type of home (Style/age/layout etc) do I prefer, or want? How much space do I want between neighbors? What type of walking/and leisurely activity am I going to do and how often? How much space do I want inside the home, beds/baths/garage space etc etc ...

Once you hone in on some more specifics in what exactly you want in a home, it will automatically narrow some options (areas/zip codes) based on budget/or how much you want to spend. You can then chose which areas/zip codes you prefer based on the housing and overall feel of the different neighborhoods that fit within your home specifications. While safety is number one to many of us, it is also subjective to each person's desires and personal feelings. Most of my clients can usually sense how they feel about the area before we even look at the inside of a house.

I like one's idea of google mapping different areas/street views to determine your opinion on that specific area/street/zip code etc.

All in all, another great way to get a feel for different areas within your criteria is to automate a home search in these areas, so you get a feel for the type of homes for sale in specific areas and zip codes. Sometimes just looking at homes and surroundings, helps you determine different areas you'd like to be.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:34 PM

Thank you all! Some really great info here. I really appreciate all of it, and you all taking the time to answer.
I think narrowing down where to live is going to be OK.

I am now wondering about my husband working in all those zip codes all the time. Some of them I know he would be fine, but in the rougher ones, do you think it would be OK to go into in the day time? His work would require going to people's homes that need the work done.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:36 PM

834 posts, read 743,945 times
Quote:
Thank you all! Some really great info here. I really appreciate all of it, and you all taking the time to answer.
I think narrowing down where to live is going to be OK.

I am now wondering about my husband working in all those zip codes all the time. Some of them I know he would be fine, but in the rougher ones, do you think it would be OK to go into in the day time? His work would require going to people's homes that need the work done.
He'll be fine.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
He'll be fine.
Thank you. He isn't worried about it at all, but I am!

Old 09-04-2018, 03:13 PM

834 posts, read 743,945 times
Quote:
Thank you. He isn't worried about it at all, but I am!
It'll probably be better than you think. Some things/places maybe not, but overall I wouldn't worry.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:03 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,387,503 times
There are tens of thousands of people out and about conducting their daily business without incident in all those areas. There are schools and churches and business' that operate without issue everyday. I think he will be fine there. Random acts of violence are not the norm by any stretch of the imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs