Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 07:49 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times

Advertisements

You can buy a really nice not-new home that isn't on a postage stamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 08:51 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvallmydogs View Post
If you want a small town feel, pass on Colorado Springs. WAY to many people here. May have been nice years ago, but now its wall to wall people, unless you can afford a home cost of 600K or more, you'll be staring into the house next door and cant go far without 6 lane roads. We're leaving for that reason. Homes are to much for what you get, and way to many people here.
Hmm. I thought the infestation of flies was the worst part about living here. Sorry it didn't work out for you and I wish you the best on your upcoming move.

I would agree with you that Cos is not small town. Hasn't been for a few decades now. It does not feel urban either, so it all depends on what one is looking for I suppose.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:15 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
A lot of people's complaints about the Springs would be solved if they just didn't insist on living in new construction on the NE side of town. There is a lot more city here, folks, and plenty of perfectly good homes and neighborhoods in other parts of the city where you aren't on a postage stamp and where traffic is at least somewhat less inconvenient. Don't fall for the hype - what trends tells you want/need isn't always really what you want/need - expand your options. If NE ends up being what you really want or need, great - but there is so much more here that a lot of people tend to exclude automatically for no good reason.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:46 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Absolutely.

Fountain and Manitou feel very small town. One has expansive lots, one has steep mountain views. Peyton and points east have panoramic mountains views and 5 acre+ lots but won't be a few blocks from the grocery store or be surrounded by trees. Black Forest will have treed lots and a feel of isolation as will some places in the foothills and mountains but are not near many things and can get extreme weather. Define what you want and then work through a list of must have, nice to have, won't have and see where that takes you. Keying in on any single aspect can overlook at a lot of opportunity.

Great schools, expansive lots, low prices, new construction, mass transit, near restaurants, wide range of employment options, only liberal or conservative views, not all of these things can be found in one single place, here or many other places. In that regard, Cos is not unique but is decidely average.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:20 AM

45 posts, read 35,919 times
Well Mike from back East, I was under the impression that people were allowed to give there opinions here. Is that not the case anymore? Does it not relate to the right of "free speech'? Colorado Springs is very crowded, and the housing market for the whole state is off the charts because of it. There are few small towns on the front range, just urban sprawl. I'm not saying there are no nice homes for 350k, what I am saying is if you want a nice home and want some space, you wont find it here. I've had real estate searches going now for months in different states and you can get far less for your money here than you can in any places I've got searches going. I love the climate here, much better than the east, but if you want any space around you at all, this is NOT the place to be unless you have a lot of money to spend. Nice or not nice is in the eye of the beholder, opinions. Crowded and expensive is truth, not opinion. But if one is not allowed an opinion on this forum and not allowed to say anything derogatory about the area, I think that hampers freedom of speech, doesn't it?

Old 12-02-2018, 11:37 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
You (and about half the country if we're being honest) need to bone up on the First Amendment. It does NOT apply here.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:33 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvallmydogs View Post
Well Mike from back East, I was under the impression that people were allowed to give there opinions here. Is that not the case anymore? Does it not relate to the right of "free speech'? Colorado Springs is very crowded, and the housing market for the whole state is off the charts because of it. There are few small towns on the front range, just urban sprawl. I'm not saying there are no nice homes for 350k, what I am saying is if you want a nice home and want some space, you wont find it here. I've had real estate searches going now for months in different states and you can get far less for your money here than you can in any places I've got searches going. I love the climate here, much better than the east, but if you want any space around you at all, this is NOT the place to be unless you have a lot of money to spend. Nice or not nice is in the eye of the beholder, opinions. Crowded and expensive is truth, not opinion. But if one is not allowed an opinion on this forum and not allowed to say anything derogatory about the area, I think that hampers freedom of speech, doesn't it?
Opinions are fine IF explained. Blanket statements that are unexplained are not fine. There is no such thing as free speech on privately owned websites like this one, it is what the site chooses to allow.

Colorado Springs is NOT "very crowded" by any stretch of the imagination. If you believe that, fine, but give some explanation otherwise you'll get called on it by others, myself included. If you want to talk "very crowded" try NYC, LA, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, DC, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco and a number of other cities that really are 'very crowded.'

Space?
Realtor.com tells me there are 263 homes for $350k or less on lots of 0.25 acres or more. Quarter acre lot sizes were prevalent back east; I had one. I find 7 homes in COLO SPGS for $350k or less on lots of 0.5 to 5.0 acres. There are homes available.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-02-2018 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 03:20 PM

730 posts, read 768,764 times
Gotta love all of these blanket statements about lot size, cost, and certain locations in the city being a problem. We bought our house for around the price posted in this thread. 3600 square feet, on not a postage stamp but instead almost a full acre. Oh and we are in the far NE side of the city. I always chuckle at some of the regular posters who have to bash certain areas of the town anytime a new person asks a legitimate relocation question. There are so many pros and cons to each area in our city and it really depends on what the poster is looking for. I’m just lucky when I was doing the asking, I had folks respond with reasonable answers.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:45 PM

45 posts, read 35,919 times
Well Mike you go from one extreme to another. I never compared CS to the BIG cities, I simply said it NOT a small town. If you can find any listings for a nice house for 350k on 5 acres please don't hesitate to send it to me. I think my standard of "nice" may turn out to be higher than yours. Maybe that's the problem. Funny how people who live in one town so many years think it is so great, that others who may have more to compare it to do not. Amazing how one opinion shakes everyone up so much. And one wrong word in someone's opinion or something you don't agree with is wrong with no questions asked of what one means. Sad enough this country has gotten that way, but to see it in a forum is very disappointing. The good old days are certainly gone for good.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:32 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
I live central in a 60 yr old house and except for the speeding drivers that COS seems to allow, it feels like a smallish town to me after living in a city more than twice the size. All the new sprawl out NE feels like Hades to me but some folks like that. It's all personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs