Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
If a car stopping when the light changes is an "unexpected" stop, then I am at a loss for words.

Exactly. That is the whole point of the yellow light. Heads up, a red light is coming, slow it down in preparation of the stop. In no driving literature that I've ever found does it every say the yellow light is a warning to kick in gear and blaze through the impending red light. Perhaps adult driver's licenses should have a retest clause in them every ten years to remind all of us of the written rules of the road.

Running lights has become so common here it isn't the hell bent for leather, I'm late, get outta my way drivers doing it. It is the every day, casual, I'm too lazy to hit my brakes drivers that are doing it now, and sometimes 2, 3, or even 4 cars AFTER the red turns on. Even commercial vehicles are guilty of this.

So the first 11 hour shift of the cameras saw 62 citations at the four designated intersections. Multiple that by the many thousands of intersections in the city and you can get an idea of how widespread this behavior really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 08:18 AM

Surprised no one has mentioned the Sheriff's office Patrol Division stepping up enforcement. They started setting up some speed traps out in the Forest this week.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:39 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Default update, Oct 2019

https://www.krdo.com/news/top-storie...ths/1134790691

"The Red Light Camera program in Colorado Springs has been up and running since May, now we are learning just how many citations were issued and if drivers are paying.

When red light cameras were re-introduced to the city there was some controversy, but the public seems to be adjusting saying they are necessary.

The program has always been about reducing crashes and making our roads safer, but we can't ignore just how much money these cameras are bringing in.

Colorado Springs officials released the statistics to KRDO for both May and June. In those two months, 1,449 citations were given out to red-light runners and out those 1,039 were paid. That's about 70 percent.

With each citation being a $75 fine, that adds up to $77,925 in just two months. The money from the citations will be used to pay for the program and the rest will go to the City's general fund. KRDO reached out to Colorado Springs Police Department to find out how much the program costs a year and have yet to hear back.

As for the remaining 30 percent who haven't paid, Judge Hayden Kane says those drivers could still be in the process of paying the citation or disputing it. He tells us only one person has gone to trial over the citation and says they ended up paying the fine.

However, we wanted to know what happens to those who simply refuse to pay?

"CSPD is going to send out a first notice, second notice, and a final notice," Kane says. However, if the driver still refuses, Kane says, "Ultimately they get served, if they don't show up at that time a warrant will be issued for their arrest."

Turning that $75 fine into a much bigger problem "Now you've turned that problem into a $125 problem," Kane says, "if you fail to show up for the summons there are warrant costs involved with that so now you are subject to even more financial penalties."

As for the success of the cameras from a safety standpoint, Judge Kane says we should give it at least a year before passing judgment."

Old 10-24-2019, 05:49 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,784 times
Hopefully every intersection gets them - this shows the program works.

Don't want a ticket? Stop at the red light.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:34 AM

Perhaps instead of funneling extra revenue to the general fund, they should use it to step up traffic enforcement throughout the city at teh places that do not have cameras or are prone to driver's going 20-30 mph over the posted speed limits.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:20 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Here is what happened where I lived (in Florida):

They had those in my area.

The politicians touted safety, safety, safety when in reality it was a cash cow.

They were installed and the tickets began, especially for right turn on red violations. Police cars, ambulances (not on calls)-no one was exempt.

The political beatings started.

The fine for right turn violations was cut in half.

The political beatings continued.

Right turn on red violations were no longer being ticketed.

The political beatings continued.

Elections held.

Cameras removed.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:40 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Hopefully every intersection gets them - this shows the program works.

Don't want a ticket? Stop at the red light.
I tend to agree. Running red lights is major problem and I have seen so many horrific accidents here in Colorado due to it.

We have side streets (8th, 13th) here in Denver where people don't stop at the red light at all. There are children who can't cross the street to get home from school because it is too dangerous.

It wouldn't be a cash flow problem if people weren't running them in the first place.Personally I think points should be assessed and insurance should be notified.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:58 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
.... The political beatings continued....
When I worked for the Army we often said 'the beatings will continue until morale improves.'

Maybe they can make enough from the tickets to buy back their police helicopters, eh.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:38 PM

334 posts, read 520,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
https://www.krdo.com/news/top-storie...ths/1134790691

"The Red Light Camera program in Colorado Springs has been up and running since May, now we are learning just how many citations were issued and if drivers are paying.

When red light cameras were re-introduced to the city there was some controversy, but the public seems to be adjusting saying they are necessary.

The program has always been about reducing crashes and making our roads safer, but we can't ignore just how much money these cameras are bringing in.

Colorado Springs officials released the statistics to KRDO for both May and June. In those two months, 1,449 citations were given out to red-light runners and out those 1,039 were paid. That's about 70 percent.

With each citation being a $75 fine, that adds up to $77,925 in just two months. The money from the citations will be used to pay for the program and the rest will go to the City's general fund. KRDO reached out to Colorado Springs Police Department to find out how much the program costs a year and have yet to hear back.

As for the remaining 30 percent who haven't paid, Judge Hayden Kane says those drivers could still be in the process of paying the citation or disputing it. He tells us only one person has gone to trial over the citation and says they ended up paying the fine.

However, we wanted to know what happens to those who simply refuse to pay?

"CSPD is going to send out a first notice, second notice, and a final notice," Kane says. However, if the driver still refuses, Kane says, "Ultimately they get served, if they don't show up at that time a warrant will be issued for their arrest."

Turning that $75 fine into a much bigger problem "Now you've turned that problem into a $125 problem," Kane says, "if you fail to show up for the summons there are warrant costs involved with that so now you are subject to even more financial penalties."

As for the success of the cameras from a safety standpoint, Judge Kane says we should give it at least a year before passing judgment."
Since I have a right to face my accuser, I'd like that camera in court so I can ask it a few questions

Old 10-26-2019, 11:27 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,709 times
If people say this is just a money grab, then what do you propose as punishment for running a red light?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs