Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 05:14 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times

Advertisements

Colorado Springs Utilities sets record for electricity consumed during record-setting cold

"Colorado Springs Utilities set a record Sunday for the most electricity consumed on a winter day as temperatures across the city reached sub-zero lows.

Residents consumed 16,621 megawatt-hours of power that day, surpassing the previous winter peak of 16,593 megawatt-hours consumed on Feb. 1, 2011, according to Utilities. However, the usage remained below the summer peak of 17,751 set in July 2019, Utilities data showed. Colorado Springs electricity usage tends to peak in the summer when air conditioners are running.

The extended widespread cold snap over the weekend put pressure on utilities across the country with 14 states experiencing rolling blackouts Monday, the New York Times reported. The blackouts extended from northern states such as Minnesota south to Louisiana, New Mexico and parts of Texas. In Colorado Springs, the city hit record lows on Sunday and Monday.

Colorado Springs Utilities called on customers to conserve energy ahead of the cold weekend as a preventative measure, but ultimately the system didn't experience any problems because it is prepared for extreme demands, CEO Aram Benyamin said.

"We stress the system for what you saw here plus more, " he said.

In Texas, blackouts were caused when natural gas, coal and wind turbine generation experienced problems with production because of the cold, CNN reported.

Colorado Springs Utilities has layers of backup systems in place to avoid what other communities' experienced, Benyamin said. For example, natural gas generators could kick in to provide extra supply should the system see a disruption, he said.

The system also has stores of propane it can manufacture into natural gas should gas pipelines burst or pumps seize because of cold weather, he said.

The city contracts for wind energy from northeast Colorado, but if the turbines have mechanical problems the operator is still required to provide the city power as part of its contract, Benyamin said. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 06:50 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,527,026 times
Whatever one thinks of CSU, I'm glad they had the infrastructure in place to not go the way of Texas....

Old 02-17-2021, 06:57 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
I think CSU does an excellent job. Dependability of service is my top priority.

Also, their rates are reasonable.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:21 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,197,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Whatever one thinks of CSU, I'm glad they had the infrastructure in place to not go the way of Texas....
We now know gas and "some" coal will be around for a VERY long time. Seems like there are huge issues with solar and turbines in sub zero weather.

I agree- CSU is awesome.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:22 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I think CSU does an excellent job. Dependability of service is my top priority. Also, their rates are reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
... I agree- CSU is awesome.
Ditto on all those sentiments. In my 11 years in the city we had great service and lower rates since it's a city-owned utility firm.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:41 AM

977 posts, read 1,329,077 times
Quote:
We now know gas and "some" coal will be around for a VERY long time. Seems like there are huge issues with solar and turbines in sub zero weather.

I agree- CSU is awesome.
The OG boys are pushing the narrative that renewables are unreliable in cold weather which is only a half-truth at best. Wind turbines did ice over, but the majority of the power that was lost in TX was thermal generation due to decreases in the availability of natural gas because of heating demand increases and supply constraints from wellhead and pipelines freezing. OG boys and TX utilities failed to winterize their **** and this will come to light in the reviews that will be done.

TX, like CA this summer, is the system operator failing to plan for such severe weather events and not fortifying their systems.

Last edited by wong21fr; 02-17-2021 at 10:13 AM..

Old 02-17-2021, 10:23 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,197,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
The OG boys are pushing the narrative that renewables are unreliable in cold weather which is only a half-truth at best. Wind turbines did ice over, but the majority of the power that was lost in TX was thermal generation due to decreases in the availability of natural gas because of heating demand increases and supply constraints from wellhead and pipelines freezing. OG boys and TX utilities failed to winterize their **** and this will come to light in the reviews that will be done.

TX, like CA this summer, is the system operator failing to plan for such severe weather events and not fortifying their systems.
That is what I saw too- TX. never expected cold weather (!) and took the cheap route in regards to turbine protection.

Lessons leaned (hopefully).

Old 02-17-2021, 10:53 AM

977 posts, read 1,329,077 times
Quote:
That is what I saw too- TX. never expected cold weather (!) and took the cheap route in regards to turbine protection.

Lessons leaned (hopefully).
Hopefully. There's some gnarly pictures on the web of frozen over gas plants on the east side of TX with nary a bit of insulation.

That one of TX's reactor units also went down due to the cold is really concerning- nukes should/are the last line of generation in such weather events.

Last edited by wong21fr; 02-17-2021 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-17-2021, 10:59 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Regarding the Texas mess I've read in the past few days that Texas deliberately has NO connections to the electric grid outside of Texas with the intent being to avoid any dealings with Federal energy regulators. (Aim at foot, pull trigger, expect blue states to bail out your dumbass.)
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:39 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,527,026 times
Quote:

I agree- CSU is awesome.
Well, TX had other issues of which solar/wind was a very small part - they disconnected themselves from the national grid, and their oil/gas, which is still like 80-something percent of their power, also failed, because they did not develop infrastructure for any of their power network for this kind of scenario, opting instead to line a few pockets a bit more.

Yay CSU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs