Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:51 PM

69 posts, read 239,913 times

Advertisements

Is it possible/feasible/safe to live without a car in the area. Weather permitting? My girlfriend has a car for occasions I need to bug her. But, mainly, biking and the bus are my modes of getting around. Anyone wanna enlighten me. I would like to hear from people who actually bike if possible, or anyone with good input.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 06:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptdudeboston View Post
Anyone wanna enlighten me.
Enlighten us.

Where are you going to work or school? Where are you going to live? If the two are within a couple miles of each other or on a common bus route then yes, you can do it.

Last edited by Charles; 04-14-2008 at 07:10 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 06:56 PM

421 posts, read 1,337,116 times
Quote:
Is it possible/feasible/safe to live without a car in the area. Weather permitting? My girlfriend has a car for occasions I need to bug her. But, mainly, biking and the bus are my modes of getting around. Anyone wanna enlighten me. I would like to hear from people who actually bike if possible, or anyone with good input.
Thanks

I wouldn't do it, our public transportation is not good here.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:23 PM

I go to school now in MA. I have never been to CO as of yet, but it is on my potential relocation list. So, we would move somewhere and get jobs as physical therapists. I gather that is not difficult to do in CO. Anyway, right now I am gathering as much info as I can on various areas. And, procrastinating my studies for a few mins each time i post, of course...

Old 04-15-2008, 12:06 PM
YvZ

52 posts, read 249,269 times
I don't think you can get around without a car in CS. Unless you live and work downtown and only want to go around in that area.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:04 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
Quote:
Thanks
I live in the Denver Suburbs of Arvada and I rarely use my car--last month, I used 6 gallons of gas. Now, I do not live in Colorado Springs but I have been there many times and sometimes even by bus--the FREX which runs from Denver to CS. When, I got to CS, I used the local buses to get around.

Yes, it is possible to live without a car--even in CS. However, you must choose more carefully where you work and live, so that shopping is walkable and close and you place of employment is on a bus route; that is how you become less car dependent, in any area, make the right choices.

I think it is possible to live in CS without a car, in some areas. However, it is much more possible and you have many more choices, if you choose to live in the Denver Metro area because Denver has a much larger public transportation network with commuter rail. There are many areas in the city, the suburbs and especially Boulder where a car-free lifestyle is very easily achieved.

I think Bicycling is very good option and is done by many people. I am now older and disabled but when I was younger, I biked frequently on the many trails in the Denver Metro Area. Denver and the suburbs are renowned for the extensive bike trails, in the area. Boulder is extremely bike friendly. One of the advantages in this area is that Denver is on the Great Plains--meaning it is mostly flat, so you can easily commute by bike.

This is a great area to live, if you want to not use a car. I am originally from New York and have lived in worked in NYC, and I understand the amenities of public transportation. While this area is not New York City, it is astounding to see how good the public transportation is in this area and the huge projects, under Fastracks, that is being built. This has caused the construction of many Transit Oriented Communities (TODs) in this area, where you can live, work and shop without using a car.

You will hear negatives comments from many people, but many are from people who do not have a need to use the system; do not use the system; never used public transportation; have a hostility toward public transportation; never get out of their car. My opinion is from someone who has a need; uses it; has a concern for the environment and I have live here for almost 30 years.

Some Links:

Regional Transportation District The Regional Transportation District Home Page

Fastrack, the expansion with of the system with buses, park and rides, and commuter rail FasTracks Home

The connecting bus from Denver to Colorado Springs Frex - FrontRange Express

Boulder Transportation Options
City of Boulder, Colorado -- Official Web Site - GO Boulder (http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=705&Item id=311 - broken link)

Bike Maps
Bike Maps available on-line (http://www.outspokin.org/Bike_Maps.htm - broken link)

and my own thread that I started by living without a car in Denver
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ng-denver.html

Because of all this
I
Livecontent

Old 04-15-2008, 03:48 PM

Thanks for that most informative reply. That is prob the best info I have gotten yet on an area. You are right, most people despise public transport, and many don't bike either. I wish we could get more people to get out of their bloody cars. Admittedly, I am biased since I am visually impaired to the point where I cannot get a license.
This is a tough search when I can't go anywhere to actually see for myself yet. You have given the best possible info. and I appreciate it.
Can you tell me about the weather if you have a minute?

Old 04-15-2008, 05:41 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
Quote:
Thanks for that most informative reply. That is prob the best info I have gotten yet on an area. You are right, most people despise public transport, and many don't bike either. I wish we could get more people to get out of their bloody cars. Admittedly, I am biased since I am visually impaired to the point where I cannot get a license.
This is a tough search when I can't go anywhere to actually see for myself yet. You have given the best possible info. and I appreciate it.
Can you tell me about the weather if you have a minute?
I will talk on the weather but I want to address your disability. If you have a disability then you may qualify for paratransit service from RTD. This will give you a pickup bus service from your house and back; this is called Access a Ride. In addition you are given free access on all buses and rail. Many people with disability, depending on their destination, and their variable health, can use regular buses at times. This is done to encourage the use of regular service instead of Paratransit service.

RTD is very bike friendly. All buses have bike racks and regional buses allow bikes to be stored in the luggage department. In additions buses are allowed on all commuter trains and there are bike storage lockers at all Park n Rides.

The Predominate feature about the weather is sun, dry, little moisture, low humidity. Denver and most cities in Colorado are situated on the Great Plains not in the mountains, the semi-arid high plains grasslands. Consequently there is less vegetation, even in the mountains. The mountains are not the lush green mountains of the east.

There are less natural bodies of water here—mainly water storage reservoirs. With less precipitation and water bodies there is less humidity—so hot days seem cooler and cold days seem warmer. In the winter there is not the snowfall like where I grew up in New York; most snows melt after a few days. However, there can be some big blizzards with heavy accumulation. The summers have some hot periods but the on the hottest days of 90s, the night will go down to the 60s, with low humidity; making sleeping comfortable.

The most dazzling feature is many sunny days so that in winter, my house is heated by bright sun. In the summer, showers tend to happen in the afternoon and with nighttime cooling, I do not use air-conditioning in my house.

I like the weather because among many health problems, I have severe arthritis and low humidity gives me less pains.

Oh, Tornadoes. In Denver and areas closer to the mountains, especially the western suburbs, Boulder, Colorado Springs--Tornadoes are very rare--as they do not form easily close to the foothills. However, farther out into the plains, Tornadoes can be more frequent.

Livecontent

Old 04-22-2008, 03:30 PM

Thanks again for the great info. You should work for the Denver relocation dept. or something of that nature. And I have read about the disability info on public transit. It is the same here in MA. But of course, the public transit is not bike friendly here. I will be taking a trip to the Denver area within the next year. If for nothing else, to satisfy my curiosity. Anyway, thanks and be well.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:04 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,420 times
How ironic; how tragic; our public transportation has degraded to almost nothing. No week-ends or nights in this berg.

Colorado Springs has grown in all directions and would require a great bus system; but the powers that be frown on buses for some reason......my guess is that they have closed-minds and can not see the future from their comfy suv's, caddies, etc.

Now the city has SMASHED the FREX system that has been in business since 2004; serving the front range. (A popular, green and profit making venture.)

Bottom line; if you require public transportation; Colorado Springs is NOT the place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs