Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 09:35 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,012,541 times

Advertisements

Considering moving to CS from a small town on the Western Slope. Newly divorced, no kids, 40s, love dogs and hiking. I plan to rent first. Just looking for some guidance on where to search for a job and area I'd fit into. What would you suggest? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 11:25 AM

5,683 posts, read 4,091,245 times
You didn't mention budget, so it's hard to give good advice.

The Springs is small enough that you can work almost anywhere in town and live almost anywhere in town (with some exceptions) and still have a reasonable commute. Personally, I would pick where I want to live independently of where I plan to work.

I would look at Old Colorado City or the area around Ivywild. Both of those areas are pretty close to some of the best hiking in town, they have a lot of two bedroom houses (even one bedroom in some cases) and are the sorts of places I would consider if I were kid-less. Cheyenne Boulevard area is another good one.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 09-18-2021 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-18-2021, 03:21 PM

6,801 posts, read 10,429,567 times
I'd say that, very generally speaking, the more northern part of the city feels more family-oriented and less singles oriented to me. I think you'd do well somewhere around Garden of the Gods, Old Colorado City/Manitou, downtown, or maybe south side in a decent neighborhood. But really the city is not so big that you need to worry a great deal about home/work proximity. Yes, it bears some consideration but not a huge amount, imho. Amazon is hiring right now and that might be a good place to look for a job and there are some decent homes right near there, too.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
You didn't mention budget, so it's hard to give good advice.

The Springs is small enough that you can work almost anywhere in town and live almost anywhere in town (with some exceptions) and still have a reasonable commute. Personally, I would pick where I want to live independently of where I plan to work.

I would look at Old Colorado City or the area around Ivywild. Both of those areas are pretty close to some of the best hiking in town, they have a lot of two bedroom houses (even one bedroom in some cases) and are the sorts of places I would consider if I were kid-less. Cheyenne Boulevard area is another good one.
You gave great advice!! With rentals being scarce and going quick, my budget is flexible. (If I decide to stay, I plan to buy within a year)
I appreciate you saying the area is small enough that I can live/work anywhere and commute is doable. I've driven through CS a few times but never took note. Thank you again!

Old 09-19-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I'd say that, very generally speaking, the more northern part of the city feels more family-oriented and less singles oriented to me. I think you'd do well somewhere around Garden of the Gods, Old Colorado City/Manitou, downtown, or maybe south side in a decent neighborhood. But really the city is not so big that you need to worry a great deal about home/work proximity. Yes, it bears some consideration but not a huge amount, imho. Amazon is hiring right now and that might be a good place to look for a job and there are some decent homes right near there, too.
I appreciate your advice, too. I'm in the mental health field so I think I'll be ok finding a job but Amazon seems like it would be a fun place to work

Old 09-19-2021, 12:46 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,831,799 times
There are lots of great open space and hiking trails with easy access all over the city. Agree with Otowi that the west and south side of the city would be good choices - the south side offering more reasonable rents (for now, anyway). Google maps is a great way to explore neighborhoods.

The closer to the west side you are, the easier to get up into the mountains via Ute Pass/Highway 24, but there's plenty of trails close in. too - Barr Trail, Red Rocks open space, Garden of the Gods, Intemann Trail/Section 16, and more.

Manitou is a funky, artsy little tourist town, but rents here (like everywhere else) have gone through the roof, so depending on your budget it may be hard to find something here. This is a good resource for both renting and buying: https://ppar.com/

It may be worth driving around neighborhoods, because not everyone uses agencies to handle rentals; some folks (especially on the west side) just put out "for rent" signs.

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2021, 02:04 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCG8 View Post
I appreciate your advice, too. I'm in the mental health field so I think I'll be ok finding a job but Amazon seems like it would be a fun place to work
A word of caution; there've been stories in the press this past year on how harsh it is to work at an Amazon warehouse.

Here's one such article.

Excerpt: "It took just 3 days of working full time at an Amazon “fulfillment center” outside of Louisville, Kentucky, for Emily Guendelsberger’s body to break down. She’d been warned by her supervisors that it would be physically demanding. She’d be on her feet for 12-hour shifts, walking 15 to 20 miles through a 25-acre warehouse — as long as seven New York blocks — looking for merchandise to fulfill online orders."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-19-2021 at 03:24 PM..

Old 09-19-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
There are lots of great open space and hiking trails with easy access all over the city. Agree with Otowi that the west and south side of the city would be good choices - the south side offering more reasonable rents (for now, anyway). Google maps is a great way to explore neighborhoods.

The closer to the west side you are, the easier to get up into the mountains via Ute Pass/Highway 24, but there's plenty of trails close in. too - Barr Trail, Red Rocks open space, Garden of the Gods, Intemann Trail/Section 16, and more.

Manitou is a funky, artsy little tourist town, but rents here (like everywhere else) have gone through the roof, so depending on your budget it may be hard to find something here. This is a good resource for both renting and buying: https://ppar.com/

It may be worth driving around neighborhoods, because not everyone uses agencies to handle rentals; some folks (especially on the west side) just put out "for rent" signs.

Good luck!
Thank you. That website will really help!

Old 09-19-2021, 03:44 PM

753 posts, read 1,096,509 times
Well, I beg to differ with the idea that Colorado Springs is small enough that you don't have to worry about commute times. The city covers almost 200 square miles and the only freeway is I-25, so if you need to go E-W or N-S on the east side of town, you'll be on city streets with traffic lights. Case in point, I live in the Wolf Ranch neighborhood on the NE side of town now and lately I've had to make some outpatient visits to Memorial Hospital or the Printers Park medical clinic, just east of downtown. That drive takes me 30-45 minutes no matter which route I take. Having to spend so much time driving across town twice a day every day to get to/from work would be a real drag, not to mention all the dead dinosaurs being burned in the process. :-(

That said, I agree with the suggestions that the SW area is a good place to look for rental housing if you don't yet have any idea where you will be working. I lived off 8th street for 10 years before I moved to my current place, and it's really handy to places you can go hike, the funky shops and restaurants in Old Colorado City, and the new "yuppified" neighborhood along S Nevada. Plus it has easy access to I-25 and the US24-E bypass (if you have to commute eastwards for your job).

Old 09-19-2021, 06:54 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,831,799 times
I think when any of us talk about commutes, we're thinking of places with traffic way worse that here. It has gotten busier, yes ... but I'd still rather do a commute here than in Denver.

There are lots of nice ways to get from west to east. When I worked near Austin Bluffs and Academy (I know, easy), I devised several routes that eliminated I-25 because I hate highway commutes. Yes, it took a bit longer, but that's what books on tape are for. If I left between the two rush hours, sometimes I'd make it from Manitou in 20 minutes or so.

But I agree, commutes should be considered. I wouldn't want to commute from the southernmost part of town to the "new" Colorado Springs that's happening on the northeast side of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs