Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2019, 04:10 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times

Advertisements

https://gazette.com/news/third-bond-...3954e098c.html

"Lewis-Palmer School District 38 in Monument ties for having the highest graduation rate in the Pikes Peak region, ranks third best among 178 Colorado districts by ratings and review company Niche, and unfalteringly earns the state’s top “Accredited with Distinction” title.

But the high-achieving district is one of the few in the area that has not passed a ballot financing measure in more than a decade.

Tuesday’s 55% defeat of a $29.985 million bond proposal to build a new elementary school represented a smaller margin of loss than last year, when a similar measure failed by two-thirds of the vote.

Ironically, D-38 board President Matthew Clawson, who wrote the resolution for this year’s bond resolution, won reelection against opponent Adam Cupp, who did not support the bond measure. Another candidate who did not favor the measure, Ryan Graham, also lost his bid for a seat.

Bond critics point to problems with public trust, district transparency and the plan itself as contributing to its downfall this year.

“We’re an affluent community, we can afford to have our taxes go up a little bit, but just be honest with us. We’re tired of being ripped off, of being lied to. It’s disingenuous,” said outspoken naysayer Derek Araje, a D-38 voter.

“I will fight every bond that’s not the most cost-effective and fiscally responsible bond.”

A lack of information on the bond’s impact on taxpayers, questions about the interest on repayment, people who were for the bond contributing to the “con” statement in the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights guide and whether the strategy would actually solve the district’s crowding problems were factors in Araje’s decision to campaign against the bond initiative.

“It was a horrible plan,” he said.

D-38 board treasurer Chris Taylor said he thinks the measure failed because of “the fact that we did not communicate the merits of 4A well enough to the broader community.”

He also believes some voters may not have fully understood the proposal, particularly that the numbers about impacts and repayments were estimates, due to market fluctuations.

“What we did as a board was to try to make this as conservative as possible and in our ballot language said the only use of bond proceeds would be to build and furnish a new elementary school in Jackson Creek,” Taylor said.

Financial estimates changed from May to September from a premium of $3 million to a premium of $6 million, he said.

“What that means practically is we would have issued less bonds,” Taylor said. “We would have never issued more than was necessary to build and furnish an elementary school. There was a lot of noise around that.”

The last time D-38 voters approved a bond issue was 2006. The $57 million initiative built Palmer Ridge High School and made improvements to Lewis-Palmer High School.

This year's defeat was not for lack of trying on the part of supporters.

Monument dad of four Darin Lewandowski ran 100 miles last Saturday on a trail near Monument Hill, where it was cold and windy.

His weekend warrior feat was not to raise money but to raise awareness that D-38 desperately needs to do something besides adding more modular classrooms to alleviate crowded classrooms.

If the measure had passed, D-38 would not only have built a new elementary school but also would have used district funds to convert an existing elementary school back to a middle school.

“This is important as a community,” Lewandowski said. “We need to come together and provide our students the best possible learning environment. My run was about a very important issue we need to get resolved.”

It took Lewandowski 28 hours and 40 minutes to run 100 miles around a loop near Monument Hill. People stopped by with food and hot drinks and encouragement for his effort.

“I’m very disappointed at the outcome (of the vote),” he said. “They’re scrambling for how to best utilize whatever space they have. It just seems to make sense. Some of it seems to be based on old grudges.”

The D-38 board and administration intend to develop a “long-term strategic plan for a sustainable school district,” Taylor said.

“It’s one of the things that historically hasn’t existed,” he said, “and based on that work, we’re going to do things differently.

“We’ll have more community involvement in this development and creation and finalization of that plan, so there’s more community buy-in.”"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 08:25 AM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I'm not at all surprised. It has taken other districts nearly 2 decades to pass a mill levy and it is even harder to pass a bond. A lot of people seem to have this vague but persistent notion that our school districts have enough money they just need to spend it differently. They don't have a full understanding of how school budgets work and how certain monies can only legally be used for certain purposes. They also don't fully grasp that Colorado schools are among the very worst-funded in the entire nation - they see that our schools are pretty good and so they think we're 'doing fine with what we have' and don't need help. They think there is a lot of bureaucracy and interpret that as financial waste, and so they persist in letting our kids go to overcrowded and crumbling schools. There are also a fair number of people out there who have the mentality of "I don't have kids in the schools, so why should I pay a penny?", rather than seeing it as a worthy investment for a quality community to live in. I think our entire system of funding education is awful and broken, but it is all we have right now and we still have children depending on us to provide what they need for their futures and ours as a community.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:33 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
otowi hits on most of the high points on perception, IMO. I'd also add that schools are saddled by rules that prevent them from spending funds that could actually explain in the necessary detail why they need funding and how its used.

Without communication, it is always a loosing battle unless they can enlist the assistance and finances of highly motivated groups or individuals to assist.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:27 PM

402 posts, read 369,075 times
I live close to D38 and I saw the astroturfing in the local newspaper and social media, and the shiny campaign signs everywhere. I thought wow these people sure have a lot of money to spend on promotion for a district that is allegedly strapped for cash.

I disagree that it was a communication issue. They tried to pass essentially the same thing last year if I recall. If you can't manage to explain it in two years then you probably shouldn't be "educating" our children.

Old 02-08-2020, 03:11 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
I live close to D38 and I saw the astroturfing in the local newspaper and social media, and the shiny campaign signs everywhere. I thought wow these people sure have a lot of money to spend on promotion for a district that is allegedly strapped for cash.
This is seriously what you base your analysis of school funding on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: