Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 11:11 AM
SYS SYS started this thread

339 posts, read 1,169,670 times

Advertisements

I live adjacent to a small public park where children come to play. This past summer, I noticed that a dog training business started setting up shop with a large tent and all the dog training equipment with stakes that take up about 1/3 of the park. Initially, I thought it was just a temporary shop. Nope, the tent went up for the whole summer. I then thought that, as the cold weather settles in, they will not return. Nope, they are still here today in December, and I believe they're planning on using this public park as their permanent business shop with no end in sight. I'm a dog lover myself, but I don't think it's right that our public parks are used for any -- dog training or others -- for-profit enterprises.

Can anyone direct me to the right city agency that can handle such issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 11:35 AM

23 posts, read 11,231 times
444-7000. Police non-emergency number.

or

Submit written concern here:

https://coloradosprings.gov/page/cit...ocosprings-app

Old 12-07-2019, 11:42 AM

6,418 posts, read 3,913,953 times
Unfortunately, if they've been there for the better part of a year without being thrown out, my guess is that they already have whatever permissions and paperwork they need. You can complain and let the city know you don't think it's right, but it doesn't sound like you're going to be able to "report" them for doing something they're not supposed to be doing-- or they would've been gone long ago.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:58 AM
SYS SYS started this thread

339 posts, read 1,169,670 times
Thank you all for your kind responses. I contacted the city agency dealing with public parks and found out that they have no record of handing out any permits for dog trainers to conduct their business on public parks. The staff told me that, if I can give her the name of the dog training business, she can do something about it. Although this dog trainers have set up a large tent, it doesn't have the name of their business imprinted anywhere and the only way I can learn of their business name is by asking them directly, which I'm not inclined to do for safety reasons.

They woke me up yesterday, Saturday, and this morning at 7:30 a.m. with incessant dog barking. I'm not an early riser, so this got me aggravated to call the police # provided by CrookedFinger above. After explaining what's been going on, they told me that they can't handle such issues and referred me to call the police Falcon substation. When I called the Falcon substation, they said they can't handle it as a noise issue since the dog trainers are making noise after 7 a.m. and they're within their rights to make noise at 7:30 a.m.. They're not even sure whether they can handle it as any other issue, but they'll have an officer call me tomorrow, Monday, to go over the issue with me to ascertain whether it's something he can come out to deal with it.

It seems like no one can handle such issues.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:08 AM

26,158 posts, read 48,867,893 times
Government by impotence. Love it.

The 'authorities' will be very interested when someone takes a baseball bat or bazooka to the illegal business guy, then the cops will arrest the aggrieved residents, not the source of the problem. Up is down, black is white in our country these days.

Last resort might be the zoning board, running a business in a public park without a permit, etc. Long shot.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:39 AM

922 posts, read 785,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Government by impotence. Love it.
We had the same kind of problem when we lived on the dividing line between Denver and Aurora. There was a large pack of wild dogs that hung out in the field across from out apartment complex. We could hear them every night. My husband (who is pretty much afraid of nothing) went over there once to see what was going on, and came back white as a sheet. There were lots of large dogs and a few coyotes.

There were a lot of children that played in the area, and we were concerned. So we started making phone calls. Aurora said it was Denver's problem and Denver said it was Aurora's problem. Other than one of them putting "Beware of Coyotes" signs around the complex, nothing was ever done about it.

We have since moved away, and a large housing complex was built in that field, so I guess the problem was solved after all.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:13 AM

6,809 posts, read 10,468,640 times
It sounds like there was an agency who would do something about it if you got the company business name. So, next time they are out there, go over and ask for a business card saying you know someone you think would be interested. You don't have to tell them why you really want it or get into some confrontation.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:50 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,646,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
Thank you all for your kind responses. I contacted the city agency dealing with public parks and found out that they have no record of handing out any permits for dog trainers to conduct their business on public parks. The staff told me that, if I can give her the name of the dog training business, she can do something about it. Although this dog trainers have set up a large tent, it doesn't have the name of their business imprinted anywhere and the only way I can learn of their business name is by asking them directly, which I'm not inclined to do for safety reasons.

They woke me up yesterday, Saturday, and this morning at 7:30 a.m. with incessant dog barking. I'm not an early riser, so this got me aggravated to call the police # provided by CrookedFinger above. After explaining what's been going on, they told me that they can't handle such issues and referred me to call the police Falcon substation. When I called the Falcon substation, they said they can't handle it as a noise issue since the dog trainers are making noise after 7 a.m. and they're within their rights to make noise at 7:30 a.m.. They're not even sure whether they can handle it as any other issue, but they'll have an officer call me tomorrow, Monday, to go over the issue with me to ascertain whether it's something he can come out to deal with it.

It seems like no one can handle such issues.
Classic example of passing the buck, and the shady biz owner probably knows it.

You’ll need to go higher up the food chain, or maybe laterally. Good luck.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:59 AM

26,158 posts, read 48,867,893 times
I have on a few occasions emailed the Mayor's office. Just tell him what's going on and that you're getting the run around from various departments. Good chance that something will happen. Also, make sure the local city council member knows your issue, they can often help too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:10 AM

5,531 posts, read 12,618,416 times
otowi beat me to it. If you really do need the company name, there's no need to be fearful for your safety. Just wander casually over, say something like "I have a friend who is looking for a dog trainer. Do you have a card?" and that's it. I believe that you should be able to file an anonymous complaint with the city. Just ask them.

I would imagine that others in your neighborhood are bothered as well. Perhaps if you and your neighbors all complain, then something would be done. You could consider getting a petition signed and submitting to your council person; that would get someone's attention.

I just looked up Falcon and see that it is unincorporated. So your jurisdiction is El Paso County. That does make things a bit more difficult as county rules are generally looser than a city's rules. There is a code enforcement office in the department of planning 719-520-6300. Call them and see if someone can explain all the rules to you. The barking dogs could be considered as a nuisance, and therefore not subject to the noise standards that the police follow. Regardless, you should follow up with both the police and the county office. You need to be the squeaky wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: