Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 05:32 AM

7,122 posts, read 9,191,080 times

Advertisements

https://gazette.com/business/tesla-d...6acff49c6.html

"Just weeks after getting its first In-N-Out restaurant, Colorado Springs is about to get another long-sought California import with cultlike appeal — a Tesla dealership.

California-based electric vehicle manufacturer Tesla Motors appears just weeks from opening a showroom and service center at 1323 Motor City Drive. Tesla officials didn’t responded to emails and telephone calls seeking details on when the location will open, but the 20,000-square-foot building includes Tesla signs and had five Tesla vehicles parked in front Wednesday.

Unified Building Group of Louisville received a building permit July 10 to remodel the building and repave the parking lot.

The building was acquired Oct. 30 for $7.81 million by a limited liability company set up by B&A Management of Beverly Hills, Calif. Plans on file with the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department show that Tesla plans to operate a “service and sales center” on the 3-acre site.

The company said in the plans the building will service “electric cars, which will include software updates, tire replacement, tire balancing, minor body work (only replacing doors or rear hatch), other miscellaneous repairs including replacements of vehicle drive units and various parts, and battery replacement.”

The plans also said it will “allow customers to experience our automotive and energy products,” including taking vehicles on test drives, purchasing products and picking up their Tesla vehicles.

The building was last used by OneSource Auto, which has since moved to 428 S. Nevada Ave.

Tesla also operates showrooms in Littleton and Superior and inside the Cherry Creek and Park Meadows malls in the Denver area.

The company operates 139 other showrooms in 31 states.

Gov. Jared Polis signed legislation in March that allows manufacturers to sell their electric vehicles directly to consumers; that was previously prohibited under Colorado law.

The company’s namesake, Nikola Tesla, came to Colorado Springs in 1899 to explore a hypothesis: At higher altitude elevations, wireless electric power might be possible. John Jacob Astor gave Tesla $30,000, and the Springs gave him carte blanche, including free electricity.

At the time, he said he would send a radio signal from Pikes Peak to Paris.

But nine months later, he left, the success or failure of his work still unclear.
"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 08:57 PM

6,801 posts, read 10,427,540 times
I saw that! I'm intrigued - I don't think I could ever afford one or necessarily even want one, but Elon Musk kind of reminds me of Batman for some reason (my friend says, no, he's like Lex Luthor), so I get curious about what he's going to do next. . I do think it is cool the progress he has helped bring to fruition in getting America in space again.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:19 AM

I'm looking forward to a Tesla test drive in the "Insane" mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpaL...nnel=DragTimes

Old 12-05-2020, 10:07 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,178,834 times
Who would not enjoy this on their next road trip?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31274/...r-thanksgiving

Old 12-05-2020, 11:18 AM

6,801 posts, read 10,427,540 times
Well, eventually the infrastructure for them would improve if people keep buying them. That article was from last year; I am guessing there wasn't much issue this year.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:29 PM

The transition from gasoline engine cars to electric cars will happen similarly as the transition from film cameras was to digital cameras.

Initially, the new technology will be too expensive had have too many limitations. That's the current situation. Gradually, the new technology will become cheaper and better. And then suddenly, it will flip. For cars, I think it will take about 10 years.

Remember Kodak film?

It's now extinct.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:33 PM

930 posts, read 1,645,307 times
I remember reading someone saying that installing infrastructure to aid recharging will make it prohibitive to actually go throughout the nation.

At the same time I was thinking- wait, didn't we do that for GASOLINE? Then I wonder what has happened to the American can-do/will-do/must-do spirit.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:48 PM

264 posts, read 147,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
I remember reading someone saying that installing infrastructure to aid recharging will make it prohibitive to actually go throughout the nation.

At the same time I was thinking- wait, didn't we do that for GASOLINE? Then I wonder what has happened to the American can-do/will-do/must-do spirit.
Gasoline powered vehicles changed lives. Electric cars are effectively the same capability.

Old 12-08-2020, 01:48 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,712,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post

Thank you for saying that. I think the spirit is alive and well, it just isn't reported about that much. The can do spirit is very much evident in the tech business where modern day CEOs practice the time honored traditions of the old robber barons of "move fast, break things" (Ask Yellow Cab how they feel about Uber and Lyft, etc).

A lot of the needed infrastructure is already there.

Electricity is already present everywhere in the country, putting in some chargers is a simple job of placing the charger boxes and connecting them to the existing source, be it the garage in our home or at the supermarkets like I see here in the Phoenix area. Eventually, parking meters will have outlets to plug into and drivers pay for both with a tap of their smart phone.

Natural gas lines criss-cross every major city and most suburbs. Refilling NG-powered vehicles takes a bit more investment but the source pipes are already running down most streets. We've had NG-powered fork lifts running around warehouses for decades. I see fleets of buses and delivery trucks powered with NG.

Hydrogen fuel cells may yet have their day. A company here in Phoenix, Nikola, is working on those.

It's a great time to be a young person with a STEM education.... for the rest of us the future is good ... if we seize the day...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:14 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,262,014 times
Even though this is old news for those of us who follow Tesla, it's a good thing. Their service centers in Denver are overwhelmed. You guys to the south should be able to be serviced in your own neighborhood. :-)

I've owned my Tesla for almost 6 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs