Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 12:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,717 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
..and with unemployment the way it is, a fair percentage will find work right away. We've seen a steady stream of WF applicants at my work for the last couple of years. The big kicker for the long term regular employees is they will be taking 10-25% pay cuts. There are a number of employees there who never got formal schooling but made decent money that will struggle with the transition.
Unfortunately... jobs in these particular skills are no longer even available in USA. Basically Heavy Manufacturing (metals) nearly all jobs are in China for this capital intensive sector. Bright spot... USA still has metallurgy jobs in Space Program and jewelry manufacturing. Limited opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 08:43 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Not all Western Forge employees are forge press operators. The forge operators are actually a very small number and yes, they are the ones who will have the hardest time recovering because of the skills. The highest percentage of workers at Western Forge do assembly, dipping, deburr, polishing, and inspection. There are actually a fair number of manufacturers in the Springs who can absorb these people and are waiting for them. Obviously indirect labor in purchasing, planing, warehousing, and administration can all move on to other companies within and outside of manufacturing.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:05 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
*nods*

It's something I've definitely discussed with my older son, who is learning welding right now. I did feel that a trades job was a good fit for him, but I've told him many times to save, save, save his money during his 20s and 30s, invest and build as big a nest egg as possible as young as possible, because this job would take a serious toll on his body and he'd likely need to change careers or retire at a relatively early age, hopefully before it disables him for life. And he's taking this seriously, because even just learning this, just the training, he comes home with aches and pains. Though he says he's working on some fitness training and posture stuff that he hopes will help.

The bright side is, we already have leads on jobs when he's done with his training, that will make him a LOT of money to start off with. But it's a matter of travel and being out of town for a few weeks to a few months, working 12 hour shifts with no days off, until the job is done. But on the bright side it pays so much, he wouldn't necessarily have to do it but a few times a year to be making very good money. And there may be even better gigs when the time comes, for all we know.

When I pointed him toward the trades, I was thinking more along the lines of plumbing or electrical work. I felt like those things are pretty hard to outsource, you know? Can't send the house to India or China to get the pipes or wiring fixed. But welding was his choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochester_veteran View Post
My older son is a building maintenance mechanic at a local airport and is doing fine. It can be a dangerous job at times, especially when changing out lights in the concourse atrium, where he had to go up on a man lift 30 feet. Yes, I worry about him but he's fine with doing this type of work and well respected at his job! We need the people that keep things running in our lives and fix the stuff that's broken.

I hope both of your sons stay safe! It's good they've found something they enjoy.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:03 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
There are very good programs at PPCC and PCC for welding and machining and there is fair demand in those fields. Larger demand without equivalent school support exists in maintenance mechanics fields.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,717 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Not all Western Forge employees are forge press operators. The forge operators are actually a very small number and yes, they are the ones who will have the hardest time recovering because of the skills. The highest percentage of workers at Western Forge do assembly, dipping, deburr, polishing, and inspection. ,,,.
An option for those skills who can relocate and remain in an outdoor centric community is Portland, Oregon (Leatherman, Gerber... https://blog.knife-depot.com/portlan...fe-capital-us/ )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs