U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 06:39 AM

6,156 posts, read 8,409,292 times

Advertisements

I would be curious to try one - I have a regular Cannondale hybrid bike right now that I love as a very casual rider but I could see a good rental market for these things if they were allowed in certain places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 08:31 AM

6,179 posts, read 6,611,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I would be curious to try one - I have a regular Cannondale hybrid bike right now that I love as a very casual rider but I could see a good rental market for these things if they were allowed in certain places.
I'd also like to rent one. This seems to be the most popular $1K bike now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQn9...fUninterrupted

Old 10-16-2020, 09:54 AM

239 posts, read 309,150 times
I've been riding a eBike here in COS since April this year (1,200 miles so far)...on public streets and paved city trails, but never on narrow dirt trails. eBikes do go up hills faster than non-assist conventional bikes, and that's the reason I bought one...to basically flatten out the hills.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:51 PM

82 posts, read 52,506 times
Honestly they are already on trails, and only a few people seem to have some self righteous need to express their displeasure. It's just nice to see people out riding bikes and enjoying themselves.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:18 AM

197 posts, read 95,056 times
Well, in California they are on residential sidewalks and streets, whizzing by pedestrians and cars at pretty high speeds. Often operated by teenagers who never cared much for safety on much slower vehicles. Often jumping from a turn or a blind spot without any care for what they may encounter or whether they’ll be able to stop in time.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
I've been riding a eBike here in COS since April this year (1,200 miles so far)...on public streets and paved city trails, but never on narrow dirt trails. eBikes do go up hills faster than non-assist conventional bikes, and that's the reason I bought one...to basically flatten out the hills.
Looks nice!

Old 10-18-2020, 09:30 AM

778 posts, read 779,755 times
I have mixed feelings about E bikes.. but have one on order. Old guy (64) and I ordered a class 2 to use during the winter in Arizona for my city commute (10 mile round trip to a marina) and running errands. I think this is a great application.

We live near Elevenmile res state park in the summer and think the e bike will be very nice here also. But what concerns me is that I have been studying these for a while for my buying decision and I see a trend for even the the class 1 or 2 to becoming more and more like motorcycles. They are getting 4 inch wide tires and electric motors that are 1000 watt (around 1.3 hp) or even more. You might have a 20 mph limit but you will be able to get to that speed quicker. Lots of youtube videos for changing out motors to higher horse power or changing settings to allow over the class 2 limit of 20 mph.

There are some nice single track trails in this area (Colorado) that I currently ride a conventional mountain bike on. Im am thankful that motorcycles are not allowed on these trails. But.. I can go buy a class two e bike that is very motorcycle like and use it on these trails now.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:10 AM

4,487 posts, read 1,742,201 times
I am an older mountain biker who has recently stopped mtn biking on single track after having a few falls and it seems I’ve lost my nerve. Ebikes have recently been approved in Virginia and I was looking to purchase another bike for rail trails and Greenways and I’ve decided to go with an eBike.

While I’m still interested to maximizing my exercise, an e bike will allow me to extend the duration of my riding, assist with any substantial climbing or hills and allow me the added assistance, only when needed!

Since I consider myself a serious biker, I wanted one of the most affordable and lightest bikes available, one I could ride without even using the battery power. I think eBikes are great for people who are serious bikers and not just out there looking for powered transport to race around with!

Last edited by Rickcin; 11-23-2020 at 07:31 AM..

Old 03-21-2021, 05:46 AM

6,179 posts, read 6,611,000 times
Electric bicycle pilot project planned for COS trails

https://www.csindy.com/news/local/el...b5a6a1be7.html

"Allowing electric bikes on city trails is a great idea because it encourages more people to get outside, reignites bike recreation, won't damage the trails and could replace car trips.

But wait. Allowing e-bikes is a bad idea because they are, after all, motorized vehicles that go too fast, will create trail-user conflicts, will cause the trails to erode and increase injuries when people go too fast for their skill level.

Those are the competing arguments surrounding the city's thought to expand trail use to e-bikes.

A survey that drew nearly 1,700 responses last fall showed a sharp contrast in how some users view e-bikes."

"The year-long pilot will begin May 31 and allow allow Class 1 e-bikes, pedal-assist bicycles that can only be activated through a pedaling action, on all city trails that currently allow bicycles, rather than just urban trails, the city said in a release.

The pilot program will also allow, for the first time, Class 2 e-bikes on urban trails only. Class 2 e-bikes can be activated by pedaling or through a throttle element limited to low speeds. Additionally, a speed limit of 15 mph will be implemented for all bicycles, on all trails, whether or not they are electric powered."

Old 03-21-2021, 09:00 AM

Cool. On a side note - rollerblades appear to be making a comeback - I noticed several people blading around Prospect Lake the other day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs