U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 09:34 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,306,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
People are stupid.. first it was "Only 100 are sick.. the flu... blah blah blah" and they're still saying "Only 100,000 are sick.. the flu.. blah blah"...

So by that logic we should do nothing? Let it turn into 10 million sick and over 1 million dead?

Want people to start taking it a little serious? Tell them local governments are currently buying up refrigerated trucks to keep bodies, seems to hit home for the boomers who are still running to wegmans everyday.
I tell people its not the black death but it is very serious its in every country on earth now...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 10:11 AM

1,244 posts, read 737,856 times
This shutdown really doesn't change anything compared to a week ago. You can still mob Costco (social distancing there is a joke). You can go to King Soopers (same) or Walmart or Walgreens, CVS, etc. At all of these crowded places no one keeps a 6 ft rule or even tries, and no one wears any type of mask. Checkout clerks have no protection. No one wipes down the touch screen at self checkout between customers.You can go get takeout and many places require you to go inside (I think that should not be allowed) where there are plenty of workers and even non-masked customers waiting for their orders. Again, no social distancing.

I've been hunkered down for almost 2 weeks yet parents in my neighborhood let their kids congregate at the parks (I think they are sick of their kids being home, lol) and seem to have no worries. I've spent extra on grocery delivery yet I feel like the fool when I hear of those who mob the stores daily.

I suppose I am helping to "flatten the curve" but a lot of people truly don't care.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:25 AM

6,042 posts, read 8,230,808 times
The thing is, most of those people are following the guidance from the authorities, or at least trying to. People have to buy groceries, etc. I wouldn't presume they don't care. Sometimes being extra careful is a privileged position - not everyone can afford or find the time slot for grocery delivery and not everyone has a job that allows them work from home, etc. Not everyone has wipes to wipe everything down repeatedly especially since there have been none available for purchase in weeks. We have nurses wearing trash bags for goodness sake. I think most people are doing the best they can. I do think some are more worried about it than others, but that is just the way humans are - people are getting different information and interpreting it differently. Even our President has sent conflicting messages compared to the disease experts, so what do we expect?

I think we should not say that people truly don't care. I think most do care. But the way we respond is different. Getting mad at someone for following the official guidelines (even if less isolated than we ourselves prefer) as best they can does nothing but divide. We can help educate, help provide resources for helping to solve the problem or helping people to survive this, we can reach out to our family and neighbors and help see that their needs are met - these are positive things we can do right now.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:28 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,553,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
You can still mob Costco (social distancing there is a joke).
Actually, Costco is doing a good job now. They are limiting the number of people in the store to like 300, they are sanitizing carts, wiping down credit card readers, have put up plexiglass at the registers, have lines on the floor at the registers so you have to wait to move up once the person in front of you has checked out.

Last edited by beezle1; 03-28-2020 at 11:30 AM..

Old 03-28-2020, 11:15 AM

1,244 posts, read 737,856 times
I've been in Costco and believe me, even limited to 300 people there is no social distancing. I am glad Costco now is wiping down things and installing plexiglass, but when people don't watch where they are going and bump into you, it just feels like few care. But I guess if you don't have any choice you do the best you can.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:54 AM

5,187 posts, read 2,415,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I've been in Costco and believe me, even limited to 300 people there is no social distancing. I am glad Costco now is wiping down things and installing plexiglass, but when people don't watch where they are going and bump into you, it just feels like few care. But I guess if you don't have any choice you do the best you can.
Well, you can only go so far without turning a law-abiding citizen's life into that of a real prisoner. You have to leave at least an illusion of freedom---people want to at least feel free---since actual freedom is long gone at this point. Otherwise, people will have nothing to lose by committing crimes. In fact, not only will their life be mostly the same, but their three hots and a cot will be provided for. Some lawmakers understand this better than others.

I don't know what movie it's from, but... "there's nothing more dangerous than a man/person who has nothing to lose". That's one thing most lawmakers are overlooking, which will come back to bite them in the buttocks.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-28-2020 at 12:08 PM..

Old 03-28-2020, 12:27 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,306,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Well, you can only go so far without turning a law-abiding citizen's life into that of a real prisoner. You have to leave at least an illusion of freedom---people want to at least feel free---since actual freedom is long gone at this point. Otherwise, people will have nothing to lose by committing crimes. In fact, not only will their life be mostly the same, but their three hots and a cot will be provided for. Some lawmakers understand this better than others.

I don't know what movie it's from, but... "there's nothing more dangerous than a man/person who has nothing to lose". That's one thing most lawmakers are overlooking, which will come back to bite them in the buttocks.
Theres no freedom if your're dead.

Last edited by BornintheSprings; 03-28-2020 at 12:40 PM..

Old 03-28-2020, 03:02 PM

4,536 posts, read 2,536,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
The thing is, most of those people are following the guidance from the authorities, or at least trying to. People have to buy groceries, etc. I wouldn't presume they don't care. Sometimes being extra careful is a privileged position - not everyone can afford or find the time slot for grocery delivery and not everyone has a job that allows them work from home, etc. Not everyone has wipes to wipe everything down repeatedly especially since there have been none available for purchase in weeks. We have nurses wearing trash bags for goodness sake. I think most people are doing the best they can. I do think some are more worried about it than others, but that is just the way humans are - people are getting different information and interpreting it differently. Even our President has sent conflicting messages compared to the disease experts, so what do we expect?

I think we should not say that people truly don't care. I think most do care. But the way we respond is different. Getting mad at someone for following the official guidelines (even if less isolated than we ourselves prefer) as best they can does nothing but divide. We can help educate, help provide resources for helping to solve the problem or helping people to survive this, we can reach out to our family and neighbors and help see that their needs are met - these are positive things we can do right now.
I would be more sympathetic to this view if there weren't so many people openly mocking and joking about the virus while they walk around right next to each other and then give me a crazy look for wearing a mask. This virus has become a political issue, which is extremely unfortunate. I've been hopeful that people from both sides would recognize that the President is not accurately reflecting the advice of the best experts, including his own, and is instead pandering to the stock market. This seems obvious, and I had hoped that even his supporters would recognize this. But alas, his disinterest in taking this seriously (and comparing it to the flu) seems to have spread as quickly as the virus.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:53 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,718,089 times
Reality is we can't keep society locked down forever. I saw a question in an article the other day. "How do we learn to live with COVID19?" If a vaccine is not going to be around for another 18 months, we can't keep everything closed until then. Society will unravel and that would probably kill more people than the virus. Lockdown may be the answer for the short term, but we still need an answer for the long term.

Wildfire season is coming. Hurricane season is coming. What happens when mass evacuations are ordered? Where are these people going to go? We need a better way to get handle on this, the current actions are not going to work after a month or two.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:54 PM

3,698 posts, read 2,931,598 times
Here is a reality we don't hear much about, until testing is widespread and easily accomplished, we have no way of knowing how extensive this was and who as already acquired immunity. A large percentage of people will have his with no to minimal symptoms. The herd will continue to get stronger, but right now, we have no clue how strong we may or may not be. Like all health issues we have faced, we will come through this and while it may not be like turning the switch back on, we will certainly be turning up the volume again.

Has anyone wondered why so much of the European reporting has centered on Italy and Not Germany? Italy is the oldest population in Europe, but Germany is number 2. Why aren't people dying at record levels there? Well, simple answer is they are testing relentlessly,Tthey know who has it, how to isolate them, and how to disposition those cases that are the worst. Their mortality rate is a fraction of their neighbors, despite having an aged population because they better know the distribution of the virus within their population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs