Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 10:54 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
The government shutting down all the businesses will cripple the economy.
And save a lot of lives...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 03:43 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I've been thinking that more businesses should do what they can to be "agile" (a word used repeatedly by my Director during meetings we've had about this situation.) Not just those of us working from home, who can, but like the airlines need to adjust so that a lot of their passenger flights are moving cargo instead, because while travel is down, shipping is actually up. The restaurant supply is a good example, I've been reading about how, while it's very challenging, they're doing everything they can to send some of the food that restaurants now cannot use, to charities, home delivery services, and the grocery store supply chain (as fast as they can repackage it for retail.)

I could see hotels designating some of their properties to be temporarily converted to medical facilities. Of course, just like hospitals and all, they'd have to be very thoroughly decontaminated before they could again go back to hotel use. But it just seems like situations like this...they open up new areas of demand, and in particular the biggest industries should be light on their feet and have enough resources to respond and adjust.

It's the small businesses whose agility is just not gonna be there. Another reason that whole federal stimulus thing was badly constructed...not sending money to people who need it most, and designating a big fat slush fund to help out huge corporations, while expecting small businesses to just take out loans to get by...

I am very concerned about certain people I know. Restaurant waitstaff, creative people who rely on gigs, bars and clubs. I've got a friend who was making her living traveling and playing live music and working Renaissance Festivals, and her income for the foreseeable future is very uncertain.

Those brave souls who are out of work, but willing to take the risk of serving the public, know that the grocery stores are hiring like crazy. King Soopers is having an event, I think tomorrow...

On that note, I was out picking up a couple of things (mainly a prescription) at a local grocery store yesterday, and had some unpleasant encounters with some very rude, stressed out people. I made a joke about times like these really showing us which foods nobody likes, and a woman practically screamed at me about "a-holes who already have huge freezers full of food, buying all the beans and hoarding all the food." I'd like to remind everyone that ramping up your stress levels a.) Won't put food on the shelves, b.) lowers your immune response and puts you at risk, and c.) punishes the retail workers who are there risking themselves for minimum wage to make sure we even have a store to go to.

Yes, things are scary and kinda suck right now, but try to chill out. Being frantic and upset does not help.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:52 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
So far I've had two emails from Safeway pleading for hired help. I'd only take a job that deals with the general public if I were starving...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:40 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
So far I've had two emails from Safeway pleading for hired help. I'd only take a job that deals with the general public if I were starving...
I'm thankful there are people willing to do so (probably because they have no choice), but how scary for them.

I can't wrap my head around how cities that are shutting down plan on policing the situation? I understand the need ... it just seems like an overwhelming undertaking. I can't help but think about people with dogs and no yards - they'll have to deal with that mess on cement in front of their homes.

And what if someone is caught out and about - what then? They can't be arrested and thrown in jail. Probably be slapped on the hand and told to go home? And think of all the people who live alone, maybe recluses, that maybe don't have an awareness of what's going on outside of their world.

I've gotta stop watching the news.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:13 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Even in a shutdown there will be a lot of people still out, because going for a walk is still ok, going to the grocery store is still ok, going to get takeout is still ok, going to buy auto parts to fix your car etc., is still okay, going to a doctor's appt if not canceled it still ok, etc. Plus all the people still working at all those related jobs. It will help. But it isn't like anyone out on a road is going to obviously not belong there.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:31 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Even in a shutdown there will be a lot of people still out, because going for a walk is still ok, going to the grocery store is still ok, going to get takeout is still ok, going to buy auto parts to fix your car etc., is still okay, going to a doctor's appt if not canceled it still ok, etc. Plus all the people still working at all those related jobs. It will help. But it isn't like anyone out on a road is going to obviously not belong there.
Getting takeout may be too risky.

I have no way to know that the person preparing a takeout meal is not infected. People with coronavirus infection can be asymptomatic. Furthermore, we have no laws forcing sick pay benefits. People who are sick may choose to work in order to pay the rent.

As an old guy, 70, I am being extremely careful. If I contract this disease and need a ventilator, I expect that it will be given instead to a younger patient.

Funny how the impending noose focuses the mind.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:25 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Sure I understand some people may choose not to do those things, I am just saying that even where a shut down has happened they have allowed the listed things to continue - take out or delivery is something people in shut down can still do - not saying they should or shouldn't, but that in those shut down places, those jobs and services have stayed open.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:55 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Certain businesses are exempt from general closures and even shelter in place closures. The current crop of official positions include a number of exemptions and the devil is always in the details. State agencies can help decipher some of this; https://covid19.colorado.gov/public-...ders-explained

A common recommendation from mental health professionals is to limit media or news intake to designated times during a chronic crisis situation. Too much exposure to the news barrage can be bad for your mental health.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:13 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Which should drive the point home that this isn't some overblown media-driven hoax. It's real, and it's unlike anything anybody has seen in this country in well over half a century.
Plus. The virus is global. This is a serious threat. Be safe, be brave, we have great scientists and doctors working on meds; we need all the equipment and safeguards for our medical personnel; putting their own lives at risk to save lives.

I just spent a couple of days at UC Memorial (near downtown) and everyone treated me so good. The emergency doctors and nurses were so kind and actually saved my life. Than the nurses, after I was in a regular room treated me with respect and the care I received was exceptional. Oh, and the food was so healthy and helped me, when I came home, to eat healthier.

Thank you, thank you to all the medical personnel, not only locally, but all over the world.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:17 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,021 times
People are stupid.. first it was "Only 100 are sick.. the flu... blah blah blah" and they're still saying "Only 100,000 are sick.. the flu.. blah blah"...

So by that logic we should do nothing? Let it turn into 10 million sick and over 1 million dead?

Want people to start taking it a little serious? Tell them local governments are currently buying up refrigerated trucks to keep bodies, seems to hit home for the boomers who are still running to wegmans everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs