U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 10:20 AM

1,434 posts, read 1,950,569 times

Advertisements

After several attempts at online and pickup grocery shopping with dismal results, I ventured out this morning to the little Safeway on Wahsatch to get some things we are almost out of. No wipes at the door. No sign of employees cleaning anything. Employees standing around chi-chatting. The shelves were scarily empty. Lots of produce though. I was only able to get a few of the things on my list. There are some groceries that have started one way aisles to keep people from bumping into each other.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 10:31 AM

19,490 posts, read 15,053,831 times
We are lucky to have a Gov with guts, I think.
In Houston lawyers are fighting the 'stopping of Church gatherings' - First Amend rights or something.
What, they want to have groups spread it fast? Do they not watch the News?
Um, FL choir gathering?

BTW - went to Union Walmart when I realized this wasn't a 2 week stay at home -for Pet food for like 40 days, say.
They were so restocked it was amazing! Paper goods all kinds of pet foods.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:52 AM

15,293 posts, read 9,629,870 times
I feel like either the hoarders are chilling out, the limits on certain items are working, and/or the grocery stores are adjusting to new stocking standards...maybe all 3 things are contributing. But while my last several trips to the store have seen a few things just out, I'm not seeing the bare shelf disasters I saw early on.

Honestly I'm not sure which is more dangerous...

- Going for a big shopping trip, involving getting a cart, touching way more things, and possibly having to pass close to people while maneuvering around the store more...

- Or going somewhat more often for just a few things, getting no cart, just grabbing this and that, carrying it quickly to self checkout, and getting out with as little contact with others as possible?

I think I've done more of the second thing, but I've felt that we are pretty well stocked and since we're home more, we can cook and use up those items we've had sitting around a while and prioritize the perishables and eat "smarter" than we usually do. So I have not done a huge stocking up kind of shopping trip at all, but I don't think I'm going to the store all that often now, either. I was doing that somewhat before, when I was still going to and from work. Now that I'm working from home, just leaving the house feels like a hassle, so I don't unless I'm out of a staple that I feel we really need every day. I really need to go get the mail though... lol

Speaking of the mail. Lucky us, our community has locking mailboxes. Have you guys heard about the mail thieves operating in the N. Academy area? White Dodge Charger with a couple inside, has been seen stealing people's mail off of Flintridge, Dublin, etc. No one has got a license plate yet, but I think it's only a matter of time. They've been caught on several Ring cams.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

Speaking of the mail. Lucky us, our community has locking mailboxes. Have you guys heard about the mail thieves operating in the N. Academy area? White Dodge Charger with a couple inside, has been seen stealing people's mail off of Flintridge, Dublin, etc. No one has got a license plate yet, but I think it's only a matter of time. They've been caught on several Ring cams.
NO!!!!!

Old 04-02-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
NO!!!!!
They have taken people's outgoing mail in some of the reports I've seen, including checks being mailed to utility companies (which the people simply called and put a stop payment on...with some going further to cancel their accounts and open new ones.) Theory is that they're hoping to intercept tax checks, unemployment checks, stimulus bill checks, etc. Something like that.

Pretty sure that mail theft carries one hell of a sentence though, and I think it's unbelievably stupid that people are engaging in this kind of crime. Especially as they have got to know, there are cameras everywhere now. They've even been spotted in broad freaking daylight. Maybe they WANT to go to jail?? Idiots.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:42 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,343,889 times
"Speaking of the mail. Lucky us, our community has locking mailboxes. Have you guys heard about the mail thieves operating in the N. Academy area? White Dodge Charger with a couple inside, has been seen stealing people's mail off of Flintridge, Dublin, etc. No one has got a license plate yet, but I think it's only a matter of time. They've been caught on several Ring cams"

People ... if you haven't done so, sign up for informed delivery:

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...o/start.action

The PO sends actual photos of envelopes and packages you can expect to receive, right to your email. You can also view on an online "dashboard". They only send notices for "important" mail ... i.e. bills, letters from your doctor or insurance company, things like that. No notices of junk mail & circulars , etc.

It's even more helpful now, because it eliminates unnecessary trips to the mailbox (my knees and stairs are not good friends any more), and lessens having to be outside or touch things unnecessarily. This way you'll know when to expect mail you don't want stolen, and can hopefully watch out for it.

And hey, sign up for paperless billing and having your checks go to direct deposit where you can.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
"Speaking of the mail. Lucky us, our community has locking mailboxes. Have you guys heard about the mail thieves operating in the N. Academy area? White Dodge Charger with a couple inside, has been seen stealing people's mail off of Flintridge, Dublin, etc. No one has got a license plate yet, but I think it's only a matter of time. They've been caught on several Ring cams"

People ... if you haven't done so, sign up for informed delivery:

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...o/start.action

The PO sends actual photos of envelopes and packages you can expect to receive, right to your email. You can also view on an online "dashboard". They only send notices for "important" mail ... i.e. bills, letters from your doctor or insurance company, things like that. No notices of junk mail & circulars , etc.

It's even more helpful now, because it eliminates unnecessary trips to the mailbox (my knees and stairs are not good friends any more), and lessens having to be outside or touch things unnecessarily. This way you'll know when to expect mail you don't want stolen, and can hopefully watch out for it.

And hey, sign up for paperless billing and having your checks go to direct deposit where you can.
Yep, I do all of the above. I love that email informed delivery thing. I skip going to the mailbox unless there is something I might actually care about coming that day.

Though the flip side is, for people who can go to the mailbox without touching much of anything (I don't even have to touch the box, I can unlock mine and pull my keys to open the door, and only have to touch the mail itself)--going to get the mail every day or almost every day, gets you out into the air and sunshine in a way that doesn't necessarily mean you're risking contact with other people.

I admit, I am getting no exercise right now, and that's not great.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:09 PM

Ok, I'm thinking people just don't turn on their evening News or the Morning News shows...or else
how could they be at their local Safeway or Kings and not have at least a bandana over their face?
Not getting it folks? Polis was very clear. And the Nat'l Gov. (Now that they finally realized it!! Masks, people! Dah)

I made the coolest! Black tee shirt over your head to your nose tie the arms behind your head, I pinned the knot...
I'm halfway to being Muslim...but my blonde hair showed.
Then you pull it down alone in aisles and your neck is warm and in black.
Not for summer use, tho.

Btw, friend told me at Uintah Garden Kings a woman screamed - "6 FEET ---6 FEET ....6 Feeet!"

Old 04-04-2020, 05:53 PM

701 posts, read 866,930 times
I got a pickup order from Walmart this morning.... they were running almost an hour later than my time slot by the time I got my food, but they did have all but one item that I'd ordered. But I was surprised to see that the employee loading my order into the car was not wearing any kind of face covering. You'd think people who spend their whole workday interacting with people would be the most proactive about protection, and that the retailers would expect their employees to comply with the directive in the general goal of workspace safety, too.

I've been sewing masks for friends this past week, and I've been thinking that when I run out of friends and neighbors who need them, I'd try to give some away to grocery and delivery workers, depending on how much time I have for sewing. (I'm a telecommuter still working my regular hours, too.) Since I've got the sewing machine, a big tub of quilting fabric scraps, etc, it seems like a small thing I can do to pitch in to help keep people healthy.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:53 AM

6,158 posts, read 6,555,660 times
Coronavirus test site in Colorado Springs now includes anyone over 65 with symptoms

https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Co...569384561.html

EL PASO COUNTY, Colo. - El Paso County, CO – The FEMA-sponsored COVID-19 testing site that is currently providing testing for health care workers and first responders is now expanding to provide testing for individuals over 65 years who have symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath).

Beginning Sunday, April 5, 2020, the site will be open from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. The following people are encouraged to come get tested:
• Health care workers
• First responders
• Individuals who are over 65 years and are experiencing symptoms

See below for more details on testing:
• The site is located at 175 S. Union Blvd. in the back parking lot.
• Individuals only need to bring a picture ID and insurance information if they have it.
• Qualified individuals will be tested, regardless of insurance status.
• There is no cost for the testing, and no need to have a doctor’s prescription to receive testing.
• This is a drive-through site and you will not be getting out of your car.
• Please do not bring pets or others in your vehicle that will not be getting tested.

“We are grateful for the support of our federal partners at FEMA,” said Lisa Powell, El Paso County Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Response Program Manager. “The ability to expand local testing capability is an incredible resource, and it gives us the opportunity to provide expedited testing for our most vulnerable populations.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs