Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:03 AM

57 posts, read 85,801 times

Advertisements

I continue to dream of moving to Colo Spgs. Husband is a native and we lived there for about 8 years a long time ago. We left because I worked in the tech field and couldn't stay employed and he worked in the maritime business and wanted to quit spending half his life out at sea (shore-side maritime jobs were in short supply in Colo Spgs!). We only left because of employment and we were young. We are now retired.

Reasons not to move:
  • Dry air, dry climate, humidity so low my skin will bleed without prescription lotion. Brown desert, not much green, hard to grow anything, not many bodies of water
  • Long winters (Nov-May), snow, cold. Summers bring drought, fire, hail, lightning (I like afternoon thunderstorms so I don't list that one)
  • Incessant wind. And when combined with the bullet above and the fact that we lived in Mtn Shadows, I used to lay in bed at night and worry about fire rushing down the canyon and burning my house to the ground (which sadly happened, though after we moved). But still, I used to worry about this a lot and if we moved we would likely live in the foothills again and I would have this nagging worry
  • Its a city now. Traffic, crazy drivers, does not have a well designed road system or well timed stoplights. Tourists. Lots of people on the trails, hard to find seclusion even in the back country. Traffic noise. Lots of retail spread out everywhere. Trash on the streets. The sprawl
  • Elevation may cause us issues. And as we age, it could get worse
  • Higher cost of living, higher housing costs
  • Weed everywhere, homeless on the street corners, not a well-run city and citizens rebel against taxation (though this is a true statement of everywhere I have lived)
What have I forgotten to list?

On a side note for others contemplating moving here, though we had hail and snow stories while we lived there, the only weather that ever bothered us was the wind. I think it really matters where you live, how your house is oriented and if anything blocks you from the prevailing wind patterns. If the house has a great deck and you envision yourself sitting there every afternoon, think about the wind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 10:30 AM

3,959 posts, read 4,329,370 times
Odd request.

Nearly anything that some would consider a positive attribute could be a negative on someone else's list. Too many breweries, too many evangelical Christians, too many liberals, too many chain outlets, too many local establishments, too many military, too many sports nuts, too many amateur athletes, no pro sports, too much growth, too much sprawl, too expensive, not enough culture, too much culture, no international airport, so on and so forth.

We are a top contender for the Space Force HQ which will likely mean more of everything good and bad.

You can cherry pick anything to make a place seem as good or bad as you want. If you both lived here before and you have visited in recent years, you already have a pretty good perspective on things. If you are both retirement age, it isn't the place he grew up in.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:31 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,911,818 times
It honestly sounds like your mind is already made up. Your list is fairly accurate regarding the cons apart from the weed aspect. I don't smoke and have never had any contact with it just because its legal.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:31 AM

7,120 posts, read 9,185,840 times
Please don't move here. It's too expensive and we have way too much traffic.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:28 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,884,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Odd request.

Nearly anything that some would consider a positive attribute could be a negative on someone else's list. Too many breweries, too many evangelical Christians, too many liberals, too many chain outlets, too many local establishments, too many military, too many sports nuts, too many amateur athletes, no pro sports, too much growth, too much sprawl, too expensive, not enough culture, too much culture, no international airport, so on and so forth.

We are a top contender for the Space Force HQ which will likely mean more of everything good and bad.

You can cherry pick anything to make a place seem as good or bad as you want. If you both lived here before and you have visited in recent years, you already have a pretty good perspective on things. If you are both retirement age, it isn't the place he grew up in.
This is so true. I grew up in the Springs and left town about 15 years ago. I get really homesick sometimes, but my hometown is practically unrecognizable from what I remember. It really is true that you can't go home again - except perhaps in your memories. All the negatives OP mentioned are right on. I have seriously considered moving back but when I sat down and starting checking out housing costs and quality of life, I realized I was hoping for the impossible.

I'm 68 and I just don't see coming back. There is no returning to the "good old days," much as we might want to.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:39 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
The brilliant red cherry on top of the What's Wrong With COLO SPGS Ice Cream Sundae is TABOR.

This idiotic attempt to rein in government by making any tax increase subject to voter approval resulted in pitiful infrastructure, no transit, struggling schools, lack of a decent public health department, and more. It reduced a proud city to a financial basket case which had to sell off its police helicopters, let the grass in its parks burn up, turn off street lights and provide a shadow of the services that a real city offers people. The inability to pay city councilors more than a token results in a cast of amateurs in city hall who cater to developers and have little idea how to run a city --- think Marx Brothers meet the Three Stooges. What could possibly go wrong.

If you want nice scenery, don't need schools, don't need a job, have your income already squared away, and consider that you are an island unto yourselves that can stand alone in a Social Darwinism Paradise, then come on down, have they got a deal for you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:49 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,884,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The brilliant red cherry on top of the What's Wrong With COLO SPGS Ice Cream Sundae is TABOR.

This idiotic attempt to rein in government by making any tax increase subject to voter approval resulted in pitiful infrastructure, no transit, struggling schools, lack of a decent public health department, and more. It reduced a proud city to a financial basket case which had to sell off its police helicopters, let the grass in its parks burn up, turn off street lights and provide a shadow of the services that a real city offers people. The inability to pay city councilors more than a token results in a cast of amateurs in city hall who cater to developers and have little idea how to run a city --- think Marx Brothers meet the Three Stooges. What could possibly go wrong.

If you want nice scenery, don't need schools, don't need a job, have your income already squared away, and consider that you are an island unto yourselves that can stand alone in a Social Darwinism Paradise, then come on down, have they got a deal for you.
This is so true, Mike. I remember Colorado Springs before TABOR - what a difference deluded voters can make.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:52 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
This is so true, Mike. I remember Colorado Springs before TABOR - what a difference deluded voters can make.
Oh, the truth you speak, our current national agonies and carnage are the direct result of deluded voters.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:17 PM

57 posts, read 85,801 times
This is all good. Keep it coming. No, I haven't made up my mind. I just know that my rose-colored glasses remember the good, and it was very good. I'm trying to remember the bad, and glean the new bad stuff. To either stop the dreaming or just make up my mind!

Old 06-01-2020, 03:33 PM

264 posts, read 147,366 times
Stunning that despite all the subjectively bad things associated with TABOR, people objectively continue to move here in large numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs