U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 11:54 AM

913 posts, read 345,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
I happen to know this family, she was looked at by EMTs and they cleaned her scratches, the wounds were fortunately superficial and don’t require further medical care, just keeping them clean. Miraculously the scrapes on her knees from where she fell down were worse than the bear scratch.

It’s not an insurance issue, she is 18 and just graduated, she is covered under her parents insurance, her dad works for the public schools as an educator. She still lives at home with her parents and will be starting college classes in the fall (depending on what happens with Covid) She was walking home to her parents house from her summer job at a local restaurant when this happened.

Not to disagree that some people can’t or don’t seek medical treatment because of insurance costs; I just wanted to clear up speculation on this particular incident.
Oh thank you! I love when people post updates. I am so glad it wasn't serious, and she is doing well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 12:27 PM

23,308 posts, read 42,701,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I sit on my porch at night and observe people out very late, walking, riding bikes and heaven help me, jogging. All this on a street that is rife with wildlife and not very well-lit. The runners especially seem to be clueless to the fact that running is an invitation to be chased by a bear or mountain lion.

That mama bear was just protecting her cubs ... people need to be more aware of their surroundings and take care, look around, stay alert, carry a flashlight, etc. ... especially when out and about that late at night.
Pro Tip: It's especially discouraged to run at night in mountain lion territory wearing a pork-chop necklace.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:04 PM

6,173 posts, read 8,438,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Pro Tip: It's especially discouraged to run at night in mountain lion territory wearing a pork-chop necklace.
With your earphones on, of course.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:09 PM

6,204 posts, read 6,652,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Playing "Another one bites the dust" by Queen

Old 07-14-2020, 06:52 PM

1,432 posts, read 835,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
People without insurance or with high deductibles don't want to deal with a medical charge that could be $1K.

So many of them refuse care.
My wife was bitten by a stray dog on the street in Bogota, Colombia. She went to the ER right away and paid $ 25 for the first rabies shot. Back in California she had to take two more at $ 365 each.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:24 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,356,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

True story - I heard a ripping, rending noise coming from my back screen door. Went back there to see what the hey, a bear had half his body through the door; thankfully it backed out and ran away as soon as it saw me. I had been cooking pork. What a rush.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:26 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,356,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Playing "Another one bites the dust" by Queen
Thanks for the laughs.

Old 09-04-2020, 05:04 AM

Bear relocated after being captured in Colorado Springs

https://gazette.com/news/local/bear-...89a6b7bb3.html

"A 350-pound bear was removed from a tree Thursday in northeast Colorado Springs and will be released near Trinidad, Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials said.

The bear was roaming near Austin Bluffs Open Space and "becoming a nuisance, getting into trash and causing problems," officials at Colorado Parks and Wildlife's southeast regional office tweeted.

When wildlife officers arrived, the bear was 25 feet up a nearby tree, agitated and threatening, officials said. Officers were able to tranquilize the bear enough that it released its grip on the tree.

Five wildlife officers and three construction workers carried the bear by tarp to a cage before it was transported to the mountains near Trinidad, where it will be "released into a far better bear habitat," officials said."

Old 09-04-2020, 06:46 AM

6,173 posts, read 8,438,414 times
Glad to hear they relocated one instead of killing this time.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:54 AM

WATCH: Bear eats pizza delivery off Colorado Springs porch

https://kdvr.com/news/watch-bear-eat...springs-porch/

"A northern Colorado Springs woman’s pizza delivery met an unbearable end earlier this week when it was devoured by a hungry bear.

Holly Vergunst, who lives in the Briargate area, ordered a pizza from the Red Robin near Chapel Hills Mall. The delivery driver left it at her door, but a pizza-loving brown bear beat her to it.

A surveillance camera captured the bear eating the entire pizza, one slice at a time. When Vergunst got to the door, there was nothing left but an empty pizza box.

Red Robin later delivered a complimentary pizza to make up for the one that was taken."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs