Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 10:09 PM

88 posts, read 171,324 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Looking for some advice/thoughts on a possible move to CO.

A little about me: 31 y/o female, with a full-time job, working remote 100% of the time.

I've lived in Chicago for almost 9 years, and am originally from the Detroit area, Michigan. Long story short, I'm ready to move on from Chicago. I need more nature in my life and a more relaxed vibe. Chicago is a great city, but for me, it's time to move on. My lifestyle, and what I desire out of life is shifting. I've moved into a different phase, and am ready to explore a move to Colorado! Ideally, my goal would be not to pay more than $1000 for rent. The idea of being able to be a short distance from some beautiful hikes would be amazing.

My hobbies include: Biking, rollerblading, (I'm very active--I like all sorts of workouts!), photography, holistic/healthy living (I'm a health coach on the side), cooking, hiking, playing volleyball and basketball, kayaking, paddle boarding, trying new restaurants. I've been to Colorado many times and visited all sorts of areas, but hadn't been there in the mind-set to actually move. Just as vacation, but as my wants out of life are changing, I think Colorado could be a good fit.

I would love any sort of thoughts...What specific neighborhoods should I consider? Safety is a priority (obviously)! I'm not 100% set on Colorado Springs, though--just exploring the idea now. I'm looking at other cities, but I love how close it is to the mountains so it's definitely on the list. I'm single and straight--would like to be in an area where there are other 30-somethings in my life stage. Safe neighborhood with some walkability would be awesome, but I don't know how available that is in Colorado Springs. Bike trails, parks, anything outdoorsy.

Thanks!

-Kristin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 10:27 PM

278 posts, read 449,596 times
$1,000 per month housing will be hard to find in any nice/safe Colorado Springs neighborhood. $1,200 to $1,500 may be more realistic. Your best bet may be to find a roommate to share the cost of a better area to live in, or consider a less expensive place to rent...Pueblo?

Old 08-04-2020, 07:02 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
I do think if you can err +/- $100 - $200 a month or so, there are plenty of options if you're not too picky. I am helping my niece find her first apartment right now on a budget and as long as you don't demand the high end features or super picky locations, etc., there are some options.

Since you are into biking and rollerblading, you might see if you can find an apartment close to one of our urban trail systems. https://coloradosprings.gov/sites/de..._trail_map.pdf

Old 08-04-2020, 07:18 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,386,675 times
$1000 is doable, but will require you closely examine neighborhoods. There are still places in this range, but they aren't always easy to find and they probably won't be found north of Austin Bluffs Blvd, where most new comers tend to look for safe/nice combos. They certainly won't be found online and you may have to be feet on the ground to nail one. Generally speaking this is west of I-25, around the Palmer Park area, and the Village Seven areas to be safer with reasonable access to recreation.

Otowi's map link is a good suggestions to see how trails link together and wander through neighborhoods.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:23 AM

88 posts, read 53,746 times
I live in northeast Colorado Springs. There are several new apartment complexes now renting, but they all start at $1275 or more for a 1B/1B. I looked further south on Union at older complexes, but they were even more. And rents have increased by about $200 since the January/February timeframe.

I did find this one in a nice area. It is a little more than your budget.

Floor Plans – Pine Bluffs Apartments

Best to go to Google Maps, and use the search criteria to show apartment complexes.

I suggest you look around the UCCS campus area too.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:39 AM

88 posts, read 171,324 times
Are there specific neighborhood names you all can give me? That would be helpful in narrowing my search! Rent up to $1200 is manageable, just wanted to understand what I was getting into. I'm not interested in having a roommate at this point in my life, so I'm willing to go up in rent a bit, if needed!

Sounds like so far, areas to check out are:
Palmer Park area
Village Seven
Pueblo?

Thanks all for all of the other input! It's very helpful!

Old 08-04-2020, 11:43 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,311,052 times
OP: If I were you I'd look in the Old Colorado City area. It's just east of Manitou and a wee bit more affordable.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:22 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
It might be easier if you find an apartment you think you like online and we can advise if we think it is an okay area or not - I am reluctant to rule out entire neighborhoods for the most part because there are a lot of good options in lower-end neighborhoods although there may be specific street intersections that seem to be better than others - it is hard to be so specific online until you have something specific you are asking about.

I might suggest looking on the southwest side of town near Fort Carson. But honestly my niece found some even in your price range on the north end too, although with small square footage - so it all depends on your priorities.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,644 times
Hi Kristin,
I did some research for you. I agree with the person who suggested Old Colorado City. Close to everything. So much to do there and easy access to get up into the mountains for some serious hiking. I would stay on the east or northeast side of Colorado Springs. Check out these zip codes: 80903, 80918, 80907, 80909. Old Colorado City is 80904 but it might be on the high side for your budget. You'll have to be ready to act fast if something pops there. Use Realtor.com to search those zips. view the listings in map mode and on the map mode you will see a button on the map labeled "crime." Shades of orange will show you the hot spots for crime. [url]https://www.realtor.com/apartments/80904/price-na-1200?pos=38.826035,-104.942411,38.898963,-104.810575,13[/url]
Let me know how that works for you!

Old 08-05-2020, 09:07 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,386,675 times
First, unlike the midwest and east, cities are the central hub of life in the mountain west. You typically will not find cute commuter cities near the major population centers that make great bases to operate from. Her eyou will have to be in teh city or immediate suburbs.

Second, Colo Spgs has an extensive park and trail system. Nearly anyplace in the city will be within 5 minutes to a traditional grass and playground park. Within 15 minutes you can be at any number of wildland interface type of park such as Palmer park, Ute Valley, Pulpit Rock, Red Rock Canyon or others. Some of these are even in the middle of the more urban areas of the city. Except for the far north areas. They are a bit further than 15 minutes.

Finally, organized recreational leagues for adult sports are also throughout the city, but do tend to be strongest in the northern locales.

As mentioned, Old Colo City could be an option. Its cute, old, and walkable. But its age and proximity to moving water means it also attracts some homeless elements. Neighborhoods west of I-25 for consideration could be Holland Park, Mountain Shadows, Mesa Springs, Pleasant Valley, Bott, west Colo Spgs, Manitou, Kissing Camels, Rockrimmon, lower Skyway, either of the Cheyenne Canons, Cheyenne Hills, Stratmore Hills. These are the oldest parts of the city and will have a broad range and age of living spaces built from the 1870s to now as apartments, duplexes, condos, etc. The list could be quite long and will require you overlay some other requirements to narrow the search.

I'd also add that the far east side seems to be attractive to the under 40 year old crowd. The growth of eating and recreation in the Powers Blvd corridor could make it very attractive, albeit a bit more expensive and further from some of the mountain activities. Palmer Park, Village Seven, Springs Ranch, Cherokee Ridge, Stetson Hills, east Rustic Hills, Indigo Ranch, and Cimmarron Hills could all be options here. Most of these areas were built out from the 1960s to now so are much newer than a lot of what is found on the west side of the city.

You didn't mention anything about work, so I assume you can be a work from home employee. Nearly anyplace in the city will have very solid and reliable connectivity. If you need to work locally, then that throws another layer of expectations on location. Traffic here usually isn't awful, but in many places it isn't great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs