U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 04:24 PM

742 posts, read 940,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Glad to. I think I found one of the old coal mines located on Pirate Heights just off of Hancock Ave. Zoom in on that odd round concrete cap and the metal poles surrounding it. Then there are the short white pipes projecting out of the ground which might be vents for methane gas that mines often leak. Not sure what that's all about but the mapping shows a coal mine was there years ago.
There are more detailed maps of the old mine workings available here:

Historic Map Explorer | Colorado Springs

This area is covered by the 1924 Patterson Mine map and is probably the remains of the thing marked "New Air Shaft".

For a different kind of hazard, take a look at the 1947 aerial map to see the giant tailings dump that they built the Gold Hill Mesa development on top of!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 10:22 AM

4,824 posts, read 2,847,116 times
I purchased a piece of property last year that is over an old mining system. In the process, I did extensive research. IMO, the issue is overblown for a few reasons:
  • Issues have been decreasing for the last fifteen years or so, and most experts seem to think that the tunnels have mostly all collapsed, so what you see is what you get. The walls were built with coal, and the shelf life on that kind of thing is limited.
  • The state has run an insurance system for a while now, and it's pretty cheap. Despite that, participation has been on the decline because issues are almost non-existent.
  • Between 3,000 and 4,000 houses in the Springs are built over old mining tunnels, but in my research, I couldn't find a single case of a house being destroyed due to a sinkhole. Yards and roads have been affected, but I couldn't find a single house that was destroyed despite there being tons of houses in these zones.
  • The epicenter of activity has been Country Club drive, which was in my old neighborhood. The last activity there was about fifteen years ago, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a house on that street right now.

I would personally be much more concerned about buying in a landslide zone. Those areas have much higher rates of general foundation issues. Expansive soils present a much, much more likely risk than old mining activity does.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs