U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 08:31 AM

1,240 posts, read 1,438,302 times

Advertisements

Ruth4Truth I love Santa Fe and I would live there if I could
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 09:44 AM

242 posts, read 311,153 times
Think this tells the tale of high-rent apartment construction in COS. Photo taken 4/30/21 near Powers and Woodmen.

Last edited by YoYoSpin; 05-03-2021 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-03-2021, 11:24 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,354,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
Think this tells the tale of high-rent apartment construction in COS. Photo taken 4/30/21 near Powers and Woodmen.

Same thing is happening on every available acreage of buildable land in Manitou Springs. None of the constructions look like they'll be offering "affordable housing" - which more and more sounds like an oxymoron.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:31 PM

981 posts, read 650,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Ruth4Truth I love Santa Fe and I would live there if I could
Taos is pretty awesome too!

Old 05-03-2021, 01:39 PM

I love going down to New Mexico -it's a pretty short drive to Taos from here. There's a hot springs I like that takes you on a scenic drive from Taos called Ojo Caliente. Haven't been in a long time, but looking for the time when I'll be able to again. It's a great way to spend a day or two down there.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:04 PM

15,402 posts, read 9,752,426 times
I think that the city needs more small apartment units that are affordable for a single person making minimum wage.

But that's just like...my opinion, man.

I don't know if Colorado Springs ever had the kind of slummy city core that most bigger cities do, probably not. But it used to be, like I knew people who lived in Richmond or Cincinnati, young adults barely out on their own, they could find holes in the wall to rent for cheap. No credit, no problem. Even in Des Moines, I found that when I was a young, poor person. Obviously it's not a high quality or luxury dwelling. But for heaven's sakes, does EVERYTHING have to be?

Gentrification has been eliminating those little holes in the wall, the rough and tumble efficiencies and such, and replacing them with high end lofts, and it's like...the world still has a need for lots of people to work jobs that only pay minimum wage, far beyond what we have high school kids and bored retirees to do. So where are these folks supposed to live? I guess it's just assumed that they'll all be young adults and they'll all be allowed to live with their parents until they're 30, now? Or maybe they'll all form polycules and live communally 3 or 4 people to a 2 bedroom unit together...lol...

Do we really have enough people who can afford the rent, wanting to inhabit these high end units going up everywhere?

As for owning, and appliances... When I owned a house with my ex, the previous owners had a home warranty on it, and we kept it up, and man did that ever pay for itself. The premium was a few hundred a year, or I think like $36 a month, and if anything needed fixed, there was a $55 copay, but they would fix or replace the thing. Appliances, roof, plumbing, electrical....you name it. If/when I ever own a house again, I definitely plan to have a home warranty policy in place. A lot of rental homes have them, too, in the owners' name or I guess through the property management.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think that the city needs more small apartment units that are affordable for a single person making minimum wage.

But that's just like...my opinion, man.

I don't know if Colorado Springs ever had the kind of slummy city core that most bigger cities do, probably not. But it used to be, like I knew people who lived in Richmond or Cincinnati, young adults barely out on their own, they could find holes in the wall to rent for cheap. No credit, no problem. Even in Des Moines, I found that when I was a young, poor person. Obviously it's not a high quality or luxury dwelling. But for heaven's sakes, does EVERYTHING have to be?

Gentrification has been eliminating those little holes in the wall, the rough and tumble efficiencies and such, and replacing them with high end lofts, and it's like...the world still has a need for lots of people to work jobs that only pay minimum wage, far beyond what we have high school kids and bored retirees to do. So where are these folks supposed to live? I guess it's just assumed that they'll all be young adults and they'll all be allowed to live with their parents until they're 30, now? Or maybe they'll all form polycules and live communally 3 or 4 people to a 2 bedroom unit together...lol...

Do we really have enough people who can afford the rent, wanting to inhabit these high end units going up everywhere?

As for owning, and appliances... When I owned a house with my ex, the previous owners had a home warranty on it, and we kept it up, and man did that ever pay for itself. The premium was a few hundred a year, or I think like $36 a month, and if anything needed fixed, there was a $55 copay, but they would fix or replace the thing. Appliances, roof, plumbing, electrical....you name it. If/when I ever own a house again, I definitely plan to have a home warranty policy in place. A lot of rental homes have them, too, in the owners' name or I guess through the property management.
It's not just your opinion ... you're not alone. I've asked this question here. Where are the people who work low wage jobs supposed to live? How are all these high rentals being filled? Is there that huge a population in CS who make the kind of money needed to fill these rentals? Gentrification - it's nice, but rather ugly - how does anyone expect that people who live in areas where that's happening are going to be okay, be able to stay? Be able to handle the rent increases. They certainly won't find anything they can afford to move to. Then what happens?

When I moved here (1984), income for a lot of jobs wasn't great, but everything was affordable and more on an even keel with wages. I wasn't making good money, yet I could afford to rent a whole house. I could afford groceries and and to pay my bills. Yes, I know things didn't cost as much then, but it seems to me that there was a better balance between wages and housing expenses. Or maybe my glasses are rose-colored and I'm not aware.

Last edited by mtngigi; 05-03-2021 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Added text.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

1,240 posts, read 1,438,302 times
at some point when enough people can't afford to rent a one-bedroom apt, as prices continue to rise, notice how they never really come back down? what will happen then?

Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

13,905 posts, read 7,068,308 times
My son and his SO moved to CS in February. They are paying $2200 a month for a new "luxury" apartment while waiting for their house to be built.

Believe me, it's the same thing here in SW Florida. An older apartment that I used to rent for $545 in 2009 is now renting for $1400 a month. It's crazy. I don't know what young people just starting out are supposed to do these days.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

6,197 posts, read 6,640,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My son and his SO moved to CS in February. They are paying $2200 a month for a new "luxury" apartment while waiting for their house to be built.

Believe me, it's the same thing here in SW Florida. An older apartment that I used to rent for $545 in 2009 is now renting for $1400 a month. It's crazy. I don't know what young people just starting out are supposed to do these days.

Many rely upon the "Bank of Dad."

In California, it's not uncommon for families to share inter generational wealth early in order to be able to live close to family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs