U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 02:39 PM

43 posts, read 69,088 times

Advertisements

My wife and I plan to retire somewhere in Colorado Springs next year. We were advised by a friend to avoid the southern section due to the crime there. I suspect the SW area is very different from the SE area. How does the crime in the SW section compare with the crime in the SE, NW and NE areas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 02:59 PM

6,185 posts, read 8,464,183 times
Crime is everywhere in Colorado Springs - you can have bad luck anywhere in the city. SW is generally considered pretty good, especially in the more expensive areas.

SE Springs has a worse reputation than it deserves, imho. There does seem to be some spread of crime north in the past decade as areas get more populated and older, etc. It can vary quite a bit block by block even, and most violent crime occurs between people who know each other while most property crime is all over. When people say "SE" in the Springs they are usually talking about the Eastern half of Harrison School District 2 and the Mitchell High School feeder area in District 11 as the areas to avoid, but there are some signs here and there of improvement and resurgence in these areas - so one might call them as 'transitional' or potentially 'up-and-coming' as housing markets get tighter and tighter here.

There are crime maps etc. that you can search online to see what happens where and how much and start tracking it over time before you move. More densely populated areas tend to have more incidences overall, as one would expect. But sometimes rural areas can have some really freaky events, as can anywhere. I think you will find that places where there is less turn over in residency tend to feel more well-kept and safer overall, and places where property is more expensive generally think they are safer from 'random' violence although might be more attractive for thieves. There may be some of these crime maps on City Data and I would suggest starting there - you can find others but I am not sure how City Data feels about linking to competition, and I am not sure what is better than another anyway.

I would suggest scrolling through areas on Google Street view as well and ideally maybe rent for a year or two before you buy so you can be local and make a more informed decision about your final choice.

Old 12-12-2020, 03:30 PM

6,225 posts, read 6,690,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschlegel View Post
My wife and I plan to retire somewhere in Colorado Springs next year. We were advised by a friend to avoid the southern section due to the crime there. I suspect the SW area is very different from the SE area. How does the crime in the SW section compare with the crime in the SE, NW and NE areas?
Look here:

My Neighborhood Update

Old 12-13-2020, 12:49 PM

244 posts, read 314,830 times
Don't be fooled in to believing that all crime is isolated to just the "bad" neighborhoods. The mid/high rent Briargate (NE) neighborhood has seen several attempted home invasions, porch-pirate crap, car thefts and vandalism over the past few years. Seems like the trend has been less teenage dumb stuff, and more professional criminal activity. One positive thing...all the car/truck issues related to parking on the street and driveways overnight, has encouraged a lot of my neighbors to clean out their garages, and park vehicles inside.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:40 AM

43 posts, read 69,088 times
Thanks. Good to know. I imagine that seeing "Neighborhood Watch" signs along the streets is a valid indicator of the criminal area.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:24 AM

3,747 posts, read 3,091,508 times
Not necessarily. When I lived in a newer development near UCCS, we had a neighborhood watch group and there was little to no crime at all in the immediate neighborhood. I've also seen them in nicer developments in Briargate where neighbors were taking a proactive approach. Some southeast neighborhoods I've lived in didn't have them at all.

If you look at an overall crime mapping of the city, you will find that around 40% of reported crime occurs in just 4 of our 12-14 zip codes. That means 60% happens elsewhere. Otowi is on the money with their assessment - petty and property crime is nearly everywhere in the county varying degrees and violent crime tends to be between people who know each other and as a result, is fairly easy to avoid.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:12 AM

4,123 posts, read 3,381,540 times
I don't know that there's any areas that avoid crime entirely, but most are decent. The SE corner is still the worst, even if it is improving. Anything in the vicinity of Chelton Rd. From Platte to Hancock and right north of Ft. Carson (sadly) is basically the ghetto corridor of the city. It's ugly too, it's not just potential crime.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:04 PM

6,185 posts, read 8,464,183 times
I frequent a business that is on Chelton and Academy and thus I drive Chelton Road several times a week from Academy down to Hancock both directions. From that perspective, it is actually a very decent and fairly walkable neighborhood. There are lots of well-kept houses from the 70s-80s, some new tiny homes, a trail along Sand Creek with a new crossing light just installed on Chelton for people to access the trail, and lots of people young and old walking even after dark to get to the Y or the gym or the Walgreens or the Walmart or just to walk their dogs, exercise, etc. The library is pretty well-used, too. There is a fair amount of lower-income people there, yes;- some of the walkers it is because a car isn't an option, for example - but it feels and looks a lot safer and a nicer place to live than its reputation would have you believe. Not trying to sell anyone on the area, but just to say that these reputations often seem to come from people who don't have personal experiences and don't live in the areas, but when you talk to people that actually live in these neighborhoods most of them will tell you they like their neighborhood and feel it is safe, etc.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I frequent a business that is on Chelton and Academy and thus I drive Chelton Road several times a week from Academy down to Hancock both directions. From that perspective, it is actually a very decent and fairly walkable neighborhood. There are lots of well-kept houses from the 70s-80s, some new tiny homes, a trail along Sand Creek with a new crossing light just installed on Chelton for people to access the trail, and lots of people young and old walking even after dark to get to the Y or the gym or the Walgreens or the Walmart or just to walk their dogs, exercise, etc. The library is pretty well-used, too. There is a fair amount of lower-income people there, yes;- some of the walkers it is because a car isn't an option, for example - but it feels and looks a lot safer and a nicer place to live than its reputation would have you believe. Not trying to sell anyone on the area, but just to say that these reputations often seem to come from people who don't have personal experiences and don't live in the areas, but when you talk to people that actually live in these neighborhoods most of them will tell you they like their neighborhood and feel it is safe, etc.
That same area though, near Chelton and Hancock, is where my parent's church is. They've repeatedly had issues this year with people drilling holes in the church vans to siphon gas out. That's about as ghetto of a crime as I can think of, and to do it to a church of all places. The ushers repeatedly catch people trying door handles during services as well. Cars had windows smashed when parked there over night. They no longer park there overnight for events, when they used to 5-10 years ago. Someone jacked an elderly ladies car WHILE she delivering baked goods to a person who just had surgery. That doesn't happen on other sides of town and this is just from the last 4-5 years. I can vouch from personal experience that yes, it is bad and no that's not exaggerated. Now there's good areas around this spot, a lot of the church members live off Milton Proby near the airport, but the heart of COSs ghetto, now that South Nevada's getting a makeover, is in this area.

Old 05-10-2021, 03:44 PM

That 7 person shooting in COS happened in the area discussed above... It's a rough spot of the city sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs