U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2021, 06:04 AM
 
2,127 posts, read 857,879 times
Reputation: 2944

Advertisements

Its a funny thing sleep is mentioned. I lived on the front range for a few years, I could never sleep. Now back east, I can.

Sleep and altitude are related it appears:

Physiology — Institute For Altitude Medicine

I am an avid gym goer...I knew people who took 6 or more months get back to their routine...on the other hand, if you visit back east you will have more energy than you ever imagined.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2021, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
34,281 posts, read 14,412,052 times
Reputation: 24710
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlops1969 View Post
Moved to The Springs (Falcon area) in November. (7009 ft). I am heading to the doc to make sure I do not have a heart condition since I still cannot sleep without waking up at night and have mucus in my thraot all day and night. I can lift weights and do cardio but I am winded but it does not stop me from completing a good workouit. I went to donate blood and my Hemoglobin was pretty high. Prior to moving, I did not have shortness of breath.

My question: Did any of you experience these type of symptoms that lasted a longer time than usual? Not being able to sleep without gasping for air and having to sleep sitting up? I hear people takee up to three weeks to acclimate, but this has been 4 months. Checking "Dr. Internet” with my symptoms is scaring the crap out of me.
Yes.

My heart issues did not show up until I moved to Colorado Springs @ 6,500 feet. Over 9 years I never really adjusted. It got better, but not good or back to normal. When I moved to Phoenix 2 years ago, my new cardiologists here did not find anywhere near the serious level of heart issues my COS cardiologists found. Additionally, in COS I had to have CPAP plus supplemental oxygen for sleeping. Here I don't need the supplemental oxygen and my O2 levels have gone from an average 93 in COS to an average 96 or 97 here in Phoenix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2021, 09:15 AM
 
4 posts, read 1,491 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Its a funny thing sleep is mentioned. I lived on the front range for a few years, I could never sleep. Now back east, I can.

Sleep and altitude are related it appears:

[url=http://www.altitudemedicine.org/physiology]Physiology — Institute For Altitude Medicine[/url]

I am an avid gym goer...I knew people who took 6 or more months get back to their routine...on the other hand, if you visit back east you will have more energy than you ever imagined.
Thanks for that - I am an avid gym goer as well and an ex-collegiate football player.

Update: eliminated alcohol a week ago and then dairy three days ago and slept the past two nights and do not gasp for air lying down any longer. I still get out of breath every now and then but so does myh wife and she is tiny. I appreciate the responses. I am off for a hike. I really want to totally acclimate and I am now hearing from people in the gym that it took some of them a year and they had my same symptoms.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2021, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Boise, ID
113 posts, read 94,440 times
Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes.

My heart issues did not show up until I moved to Colorado Springs @ 6,500 feet. Over 9 years I never really adjusted. It got better, but not good or back to normal. When I moved to Phoenix 2 years ago, my new cardiologists here did not find anywhere near the serious level of heart issues my COS cardiologists found. Additionally, in COS I had to have CPAP plus supplemental oxygen for sleeping. Here I don't need the supplemental oxygen and my O2 levels have gone from an average 93 in COS to an average 96 or 97 here in Phoenix.

My wife's story mimic's yours completely. We moved out of the Springs to Idaho last year. Since dropping altitude she's had the same results.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2021, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
34,281 posts, read 14,412,052 times
Reputation: 24710
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBoosted View Post
My wife's story mimic's yours completely. We moved out of the Springs to Idaho last year. Since dropping altitude she's had the same results.
Most people adjust. But some do not. I moved to Colorado after retiring because I used to love the mountains. But, oh well. Things change, including our bodies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Cody, WY
10,124 posts, read 12,464,610 times
Reputation: 20866
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlops1969 View Post
Thanks for that - I am an avid gym goer as well and an ex-collegiate football player.

Update: eliminated alcohol a week ago and then dairy three days ago and slept the past two nights and do not gasp for air lying down any longer. I still get out of breath every now and then but so does myh wife and she is tiny. I appreciate the responses. I am off for a hike. I really want to totally acclimate and I am now hearing from people in the gym that it took some of them a year and they had my same symptoms.
It could be an allergy. Not every problem at higher elevations is related to altitude.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM
 
1,428 posts, read 458,706 times
Reputation: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It could be an allergy. Not every problem at higher elevations is related to altitude.
I am just about to ask,does mucous in the throat related to high altitude or something else?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:16 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
6,149 posts, read 6,519,978 times
Reputation: 21273
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes.

My heart issues did not show up until I moved to Colorado Springs @ 6,500 feet. Over 9 years I never really adjusted. It got better, but not good or back to normal. When I moved to Phoenix 2 years ago, my new cardiologists here did not find anywhere near the serious level of heart issues my COS cardiologists found. Additionally, in COS I had to have CPAP plus supplemental oxygen for sleeping. Here I don't need the supplemental oxygen and my O2 levels have gone from an average 93 in COS to an average 96 or 97 here in Phoenix.
Thank you for that data.

I've lived in Colorado Springs now for about 44 years and I've noticed that as I get older it's harder to get enough air. My %O2 is about 92-93. If that goes up to 97 at lower elevations it would be a huge improvement.

We'll soon be moving to Walnut Creek, Ca to be closer to family. The unexpected bonus will be more oxygen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
34,281 posts, read 14,412,052 times
Reputation: 24710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Thank you for that data.

I've lived in Colorado Springs now for about 44 years and I've noticed that as I get older it's harder to get enough air. My %O2 is about 92-93. If that goes up to 97 at lower elevations it would be a huge improvement.

We'll soon be moving to Walnut Creek, Ca to be closer to family. The unexpected bonus will be more oxygen.
Yes, you'll be very close to sea level!

I think for me it was perhaps even more drastic a change since I had been living in Bangkok, elevation 5 feet. Then suddenly up to 6500 feet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top