Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,729 times

Advertisements

it's ok...we have the same question and we are considering moving with a 6 year old who has had 9 heart surgeries and an artificial mitral valve. We are trying to decide if we should move to Morrison CO. I know i had to adjust to the altitude and i am in pretty good shape. Any further thoughts. My daughter is on a blood thinner and will need future surgeries. The doctors say she should b fine? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:30 AM

930 posts, read 1,653,895 times
We found out that my grandmother had heart issues when she visited us in Casper, WY (elevation about 5K I think), and about two months after my husband's grandfather came up for my husband's graduation (visited in Colorado Springs), he died from heart problems. He had existing heart problems and the short visit to the higher altitude was just too much for his weak heart. All that said, he had visited several years earlier with no problems, so it's hard to say if the visit was what hurt him, but it certainly did not help him at all.

Everyone is different, but there are serious considerations. I would consider calling a doctor up in Denver to see what they'd suggest.

Last edited by hollyt00; 11-02-2010 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 PM

47 posts, read 145,657 times
My husband would like his 88 year old father to visit us from CA, and he takes BP meds and had some blockage problems. I begged him to have him speak to his Dr before making the trip. I am terrified something will happen while he is here (our home is at 7060 ft according to my GPS his town in CA is 230 ft)

Old 11-04-2010, 12:11 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
I think the best thing to do is take it slowly. Don't just fly in to COS from sea level. Fly to Denver. Spend a day then rent a car and drive to COS. Take time to acclimate, take any meds you need, drink lots of water, don't drink alcohol and don't over exert yourself. Ease into activities that might require some hiking or walking. Even the zoo can be a real tedious trek for one's heart. Most of us who make the move here, even to Woodland Park, acclimate. One thing about high altitude is that your red blood cells will increase in size if you're here for a couple of weeks or so in order to hold more oxygen. Oxygen saturation in your blood at sea level is 24%, at 10,000 ft, it's 18%. That's a huge difference. It will take your heart and blood about two to three weeks to get accustomed to the lower oxygen levels in your lungs. Chapped lips, dry skin, shortness of breath, itching and exhaustion are to be expected in the first few days. If you feel any discomfort that might be heart related, call 911. The First Responders in El Paso and Teller Counties are so used to visitors who may be experiencing cardiac issues, or who are just getting used to the altitude without cardiac issues. Better to be safe than sorry. Use care and be aware.

Last edited by Marcy1210; 11-04-2010 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 11-04-2010, 06:48 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deniselk View Post
My husband would like his 88 year old father to visit us from CA, and he takes BP meds and had some blockage problems. I begged him to have him speak to his Dr before making the trip. I am terrified something will happen while he is here (our home is at 7060 ft according to my GPS his town in CA is 230 ft)
Deniselk, I think there is good reason for concern. I arrived here in June after living in Bangkok, Thailand for a year and a half. My blood pressure went crazy and stayed relatively out of control for a full 3 months. I went to the doctor almost every other week for those first 3 months, and their response was to adjust my meds level and to relax because, according to them, I would adjust. And suddenly I did. But there were some scary nights.

What my doctors said was that the average person will adjust, and the only people they had ever seen who had not had serious medical problems to begin with.

Now 5 months later, I'm feeling fine. My BP is back to normal (at least "my" normal). The only aftereffects I feel is that I still do tire a bit more easily than I did previously.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 6,001 times
When my 90 year old brother lived in Colorado permanently, he had to take blood pressure medication. Now that he spends most of his time in Arizona, he no longer has to take medications of any kind.

In the book, "The China Study," the author, Dr. Campbell, tells us that higher altitudes require more red blood cells in order to carry the required amount of oxygen - we all know that. But he adds that red blood cells are pretty big cells and the more of them you have circulating in your system, the more damage they cause to valves and arteries.

I imagine short term, no problem; perhaps over many years and/or people who already have CV difficulties could possibly incur damage compared to living at an altitude closer to sea level. I suppose there is an accumulating effect that worsens over time. On the other hand, you may want to consider the beneficial effects of clean air, sunshine, physical activities offered in Colorado and perhaps things cancel out. Nevertheless, higher altitudes do impose greater wear and tear one could conclude.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:01 AM

Colorado consistently ranks as one of the healthiest states in the Union, so I don't think that the altitude plays much of a role once a person is acclimated which on average takes 6-12 weeks. It's also one of the leanest states with the least number of overweight/obese people probably due to all the outdoor activities available: Skiing, snowboarding, hiking, biking, etc. Heart disease is most prevalent in the South, probably due to diet, obesity and lack of excercise.

Heart Disease | The State of State Health

Colorado was the second lowest state in heart disease rankings; West Virginia had the highest number of heart disease deaths. Colorado is a very healthy state.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:14 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
So Colorado was the second lowest in heart disease ratings,,,,I am curious, what state was first???

Old 03-20-2011, 12:00 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
I am curious to know if that previous post stating that bigger red blood cells (from living at higher altitude) causes strain on the heart valves is really true. I have Mitral Valve Prolapse with mild regurgitation, does anyone here have MVP and has it gotten worse at higher altitude?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
So Colorado was the second lowest in heart disease ratings,,,,I am curious, what state was first???
Surprisingly, DC had the lowest. WVA had the highest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs