U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 3,068 times

Advertisements

Family considering moving back to CO in the next year or so and have been out looking at CS for a single family house. Here is what we learned--
*Would prefer to live west of I25, but also looking around Pulpit Rock. We love parts of the west side, but don't want to be too far west. One issue for us--many of the homes have a steep slope, not a level backyard.
*Area right around OCC won't work for us
*Parts of Briargate could work, but don't want to be too far north.
*Wolf Ranch, Cordera, Black Forest etc won't work for us nor would anything east of Powers.
*SW/Broadmoor area is nice, but was surprised to see expensive homes within a few blocks of neglected-looking neighborhood.
*Surprised at so many HOAs, but it seems that many neighborhoods without 1 aren't well-maintained.
*Have concerns about soil issues w/respect to foundation, settling, landslide etc.
*Concerns about radon in homes and whether mitigation systems really help

Questions:
*Thoughts on pinecliff, rockrimmon and area around Ute Valley Park?
*Is the neighborhood around Palmer Park considered safe and well-maintained?

Thank you for any input you can give. :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 01:15 PM

6,323 posts, read 8,736,981 times
Based on your criteria, you should probably look in neighborhoods along Centennial Boulevard.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:36 PM

4,737 posts, read 2,771,634 times
You are looking at all of the same places we did. We ended up in the Palmer Park area. It is very safe and very, very well-kept if you are in the Country Club Estates neighborhood (streets like Country Club Drive, Marilyn, Leslie, etc.) or the Chelton area right up against the park. We could honestly afford to live anywhere in town, and this is where we want to be. Most streets are Broadmoor-level maintained, but you are right up against an amazing open space yet still just ten minutes from downtown. This area also has some of the best big, mature trees of any neighborhood, and it makes a huge difference in how it feels. The only con is that some of the commercial areas aren't as nice (Circle and Academy), but the alternative in some cases is not having close access to commercial areas at all. We plan to stay here long-term.

We also looked at Rockrimmon, and I recommend you do the same. The northern part is the nicest. We put in an offer on a house on Buckeye before we bought our current place. We really liked that area, although we do prefer where we ended up.

Best of luck. The Springs has so many areas that can feel natural and beautiful and well-kept yet still be in the city.

-------------------

Edit to add: If you're up for doing some cosmetic updates in exchange for a really great price (and have a big family), I'd check this out: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M24210-10129

To me, this area is one of the best-kept secrets in Colorado Springs.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 07-09-2021 at 01:53 PM..

Old 07-14-2021, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,962 times
We bought a house in the Harvest Ridge area. Not terribly far north but a little further East than Pulpit.

Great schools. Union BLVD isn't too bad even though it is under construction most of the time.

No HOA here either which was a big draw for us.

The only thing is our house's value/price has literally doubled since we bought it and the taxes have gone way up. While I love that I can now sell my house for 2x the value, it really isn't worth the inflated price.

But someone will pay for it. Our neighbor's home sold within 20minutes of the open house for $60K more than asking. Our neighbors who moved in claimed they bought a house in Los Angeles for $200K and sold it for well over $2m.

So they paid cash.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:00 PM

8,807 posts, read 4,301,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Based on your criteria, you should probably look in neighborhoods along Centennial Boulevard.
I agree with this too, for west side. Holland Park is older but has some nice streets & Mountain Shadows is very nice. Country Club for near Palmer Park or even Village Seven. Old North End is one of my favorites, if you can get them. I like Ute Valley too but they used to have a problem with Rattlesnakes on that southern edge.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Edit to add: If you're up for doing some cosmetic updates in exchange for a really great price (and have a big family), I'd check this out: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M24210-10129

To me, this area is one of the best-kept secrets in Colorado Springs.
Thank you for sharing so much helpful information about Palmer Park! We like the idea of having some mature trees around--as long as we still have some sun coming into the yard for growing some veggies. It definitely has us interested. How is the noise level around there? Traffic?
One problem we're having that's limiting our housing choices is we need a 3 car garage. If we had enough space/land to add a third garage to a 2-car, that could work, but that's unlikely based on what we've seen.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoris View Post
The only thing is our house's value/price has literally doubled since we bought it and the taxes have gone way up. While I love that I can now sell my house for 2x the value, it really isn't worth the inflated price.

But someone will pay for it. Our neighbor's home sold within 20minutes of the open house for $60K more than asking. Our neighbors who moved in claimed they bought a house in Los Angeles for $200K and sold it for well over $2m.

So they paid cash.
The housing market is crazy everywhere. We're hoping it calms down next year in COS. We don't mind paying a good amount for a house, but we certainly don't want to overpay and then the house value is less in a few yrs. Is anyone else concerned about a little bubble?

Old 07-15-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I like Ute Valley too but they used to have a problem with Rattlesnakes on that southern edge.
I don't mind your everyday cute garden snake, but don't want to live in a house where I have to worry about seeing rattlesnakes on a regular basis.

Old 07-15-2021, 02:32 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,527,441 times
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...13676042_zpid/

nice little ranch for only $995,000 way down on Old Pueblo rd. What s steal!

Old 07-15-2021, 03:57 PM

4,737 posts, read 2,771,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
Thank you for sharing so much helpful information about Palmer Park! We like the idea of having some mature trees around--as long as we still have some sun coming into the yard for growing some veggies. It definitely has us interested. How is the noise level around there? Traffic?
One problem we're having that's limiting our housing choices is we need a 3 car garage. If we had enough space/land to add a third garage to a 2-car, that could work, but that's unlikely based on what we've seen.
There's very little noise unless you're really close to Circle on the south end of Holiday or Bennett. Academy is a ways away, and the Park is a buffer. The entire neighborhood is really its own little pocket, so the only traffic is mostly from residents or people driving to the park itself. But the park has other trailheads that are more popular, so that traffic isn't significant.

Streets like Bennett, Marilyn, Country Club, Austin Place, Austin Circle, Leslie, Lees, etc. are all part of the Country Club Estates HOA. It is a weak HOA that wasn't formed until the 1990s, so the dues are optional and are only $30. The HOA doesn't have the power to put a lien on your property for breaking the rules, and my understanding is that the only real method of enforcement is a neighbor can take you to court and use the HOA covenants as backing. I'm not sure this has ever happened, however. We used to be in the HOA proper, and we did significant renovations to our house (inside and out) without going through any proper approval channels. However, we did tasteful work and had the support of our neighbors. All in all, I think the HOA is a positive (albeit weak) force that has helped that area stay looking so nice.

The area along Chelton itself is not in a proper HOA, but it has stayed nice simply because they are valuable properties right up along the park. They are mostly on larger lots (.5+ acres), but they are frequently a bit more sloped. We live in this area now.

All of these homes were originally custom homes. Unlike a lot of mid-century areas in the city, these were never tract neighborhoods.

Three car garages exist but are rare in this area. You may find a lot big enough to add garage space, but the question will be whether it will work with the lot. However, many properties do have an additional parking spot on top of normal garage parking.

My wife gardens a lot, and while our lot is pretty treed, we still have areas of direct sunlight. And the sun here is so powerful and that even indirect light goes further than you'd think. The sun drying things out is often a bigger issue than a lack of sunlight. If a plant says "full sun," I often read that as "Colorado part sun."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs