Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,943 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Was wondering if anyone in the Monument area could give their un-biased views of the Woodmore and the Forest Lakes/Monument area? We presently live in Castle Rock (for the last decade or so) and now the ability to work from home full time so have been searching for a little more space home wise. We love to hike, bike, golf, and cross country ski.

Two areas my family have been looking at is the Woodmore CC area and the new Forest Lakes development. We really value open space, views, and wooded areas. This is why we've sorta gravitated to both areas.

To be honest, we havent spent a ton of time in Monument, more in Palmer Lake for hiking and dining. We really enjoy the Palmer Lake area, but home inventory is non-existent for the most part.

Regarding Monument, I had some concerns/ignorance that I was hoping others could provide their input.

-Similar to Castle Rock; is Monument building out like crazy? It looks like there is a fair bit of development in the area, not anything to the level of Castle Rock, but is there alot more in the pipe?

-My assumption is you are traveling into Colorado Springs a fair bit (doctors, hospital, costco, etc.)?

-The Lewis-Palmer school district looks to be one of the better in the state. We have a young daughter, so this one is important to us. Any red flags about Lewis-Palmer?

-I do not care about politics and almost hate typing this next part out, but also do not want to be surrounded by people who are your in face about it. I do not want to feel that tension that feels likes it's developed as of late in Douglas County. We consider ourselves centrally-conservative. I know parts of the Springs can be this way (similar to Boulder). Is Monument overly political in any way?

-It's been a few years since I've been in downtown Monument. I remember it being smaller. Just wanted to see how downtown is today in regards to restaurants, shopping, walking etc.

Thank you for any insight and considerations you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 05:20 PM

265 posts, read 150,674 times
I have two kids at Kilmer Elementary (live east of 83). Love it here. Cannot foresee a scenario where I would move until my third kid finishes there. D38 was the only game in town last year where K-6 was in person from start to finish, which has now been proven to be the correct call.

I never venture south of Interquest and Voyager for day to day stuff.

Old 12-24-2021, 07:56 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
I live near Monument and Palmer Lake (about 10 miles east of there). I have been here for over 27 years. It has certainly grown over the years, but doesn't that happen anywhere that is a desirable place to live? The Woodmoor area of Monument was built out long ago so most of the development in Monument is in other areas. Woodmoor is kind of its own little pocket with a lot of trees and nice, albeit older, custom homes. I love Palmer Lake, but as you say, not much for sale there. Maybe keep an eye out for places in Red Rock Ranch which is just to the south of Palmer Lake, in the foothills. Downtown Monument has not really changed a whole lot over the years. Most of the development is in the Jackson Creek area.

Old 12-24-2021, 04:25 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
1. I think most people in Monument go the Springs fairly regularly.
2. The whole area is growing, but Monument doesn't seem disproportional.
3. My coworker is an educator who has her daughters in D38 schools and is very unhappy with the district - she feels they are experience growing pains and do not serve all students well and still operate in good-old-boy networks, etc. In general, though, it seems to have a decent reputation.
4. There is a little of the politics now and then. It mainly seems to be small town feud type things. It wouldn't take much for there to be some fiasco - just takes one crazy school board member or something like that.
5. It seems a little busier in summer in recent years but I think things have grown out more than up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCto303 View Post
Hello All,
-Similar to Castle Rock; is Monument building out like crazy? It looks like there is a fair bit of development in the area, not anything to the level of Castle Rock, but is there alot more in the pipe?

-My assumption is you are traveling into Colorado Springs a fair bit (doctors, hospital, costco, etc.)?

-The Lewis-Palmer school district looks to be one of the better in the state. We have a young daughter, so this one is important to us. Any red flags about Lewis-Palmer?

-I do not care about politics and almost hate typing this next part out, but also do not want to be surrounded by people who are your in face about it. I do not want to feel that tension that feels likes it's developed as of late in Douglas County. We consider ourselves centrally-conservative. I know parts of the Springs can be this way (similar to Boulder). Is Monument overly political in any way?

-It's been a few years since I've been in downtown Monument. I remember it being smaller. Just wanted to see how downtown is today in regards to restaurants, shopping, walking etc.

Thank you for any insight and considerations you can provide.

Old 12-25-2021, 11:07 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
I really like the Woodmor area, and if the houses didn't all have HOAs, we'd seriously consider it. The Woodmor CC has a reputation for being very family-friendly, and I personally like many of the houses in the area (as well as the lots). But HOAs are deal breakers for us.

Monument is really conservative, but I'm sure you know that. It's the only place where I ever saw a business with a sign during the peak of Covid that basically said "We're not following the mask rules, and you don't need to, either." It was right next to the sign about Jesus. Monument is about as far as one can get from Boulder on this stuff. But again, assuming that being in a pretty conservative area doesn't bother you, I can't see it being a big issue.

D38 is a very high-achieving district in terms of test scores and such. But it's also a wealthy, white district. So it's hard to use the measurables in a useful way. But I believe it is a very good district.

Monument has limited stuff beyond the basics. I'm sure Monument people drive into north COS regularly.

Old 12-26-2021, 09:46 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amattaro View Post
I never venture south of Interquest and Voyager for day to day stuff.

This seems to be reflective of many who live in the northern ends of the county and with the growth of business off NorthGate, Interquest, and Briargate, I can see why those living in the area rarely venture south of Woodman Rd for anything with any regularity.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:07 AM

1,950 posts, read 2,298,854 times
I like Jackson Creek, in Monument, it has a Factory Supply store. ! Some of the homes are old enough to where the trees have matured a little. On some streets, there are ATVs, Trucks, Cars, motorcycles, and various vehicles crowding the street and driveways.
The Chapel Hills Mall and The Promenade Shops at Briargate are about 10 mins away.
I have heard that the District 38 students have small class sizes and low student-to-teacher ratios. ?
The views, the Vistas are incredible. In Jackson Creek North all the homes and Homesites are probably sold out or under contract. They will open up a few new streets soon though. Remington Hill, Settlers Ridge, Promontory Pointe, Homestead at Jackson Creek, Copper Ridge, Academy View and The Heights at Jackson Creek I think are all part of this area.
The altitude of 7000 FT makes for a longer cold season if you like the Cold which I do.
It Is not a diverse area at all being mostly white and upper middle class. If you are in this category it is a very nice place to ,live. You will have drive quite aways to find authentic Mexican food but they say at Jarito Loco in Monument that the their food is authentic Mexican food , it is pretty good. There is also a Pikes peak Libary nearby , I always want to be close to a Library .

Old 01-07-2022, 12:12 PM

32 posts, read 60,873 times
For school ratings you can visit "great schools . org". I was up in Monument recently and yes the development was quite incredible with new houses going up. Santuary Pointe is a new subdivision - homes are large and in the $700 range, treed area but depending on the lot you may not have views. It is difficult in this town to get both unless you go for an older home.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 796 times
Forest Lakes is very pretty but the road leading in and out of the neighborhood, Baptist, is becoming a pretty big trucking hub. As more of the planned distribution centers are built, there will be a lot of big rig traffic as you make your way to or from the interstate. May not bother you but something to keep in mind.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:01 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
For those areas in Monument near the rail lines, make sure you're OK with the noise generated by the constant coal trains.

Also, if your proposed house is close to the tracks, make sure you consider potential danger wrt grandkids. When I was a young kid, we would put coins on the rails when we could hear the train approaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs