Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 08:12 AM

50,247 posts, read 23,866,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think you should come and visit and see how you feel in the altitude.
I agree wholeheartedly.

I moved to COS when I was about 60, and although doctors all said, "Oh, you'll adjust", my body only somewhat adjusted, and it's why 10 years later I moved to Phoenix...and felt so much better almost immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 09:49 AM

7,130 posts, read 9,209,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.

I moved to COS when I was about 60, and although doctors all said, "Oh, you'll adjust", my body only somewhat adjusted, and it's why 10 years later I moved to Phoenix...and felt so much better almost immediately.

I recently moved from Colorado Springs to Concord, Ca. I was interested to see how the altitude change from 6000 ft to sea level effected my % O2 levels. In Colorado Springs, my reading was 93, but here it's 96. I do feel like I have better breathing here.

One huge difference is the humidity. Here its more like 50% in winter vs about 16% on the Springs.

OP: My advice: Try before you buy.

Old 01-02-2022, 01:14 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,857,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.

So what about your body didn't adjust, if I may be so impertinent to ask? Did you have pre-existing conditions going in, or did something happen while you were there?

I lived in Phoenix for a year. It's the Dallas of Arizona, and I don't mean that in a good way. Too big, too expensive, with aggressively nasty people who use the freeways as a contact sport. The heat is absolutely repulsive too - especially because Phoenix has turned into a massive heat island because of the concrete. I was way north near Mayo Clinic, but there were still nights it didn't drop below 90.

Anyhow, size-wise, I find I do better in small-middling metros... Tucson (1.04 million MSA) or smaller. Phoenix was just too much to wrap my mind around.

Old 01-02-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
One huge difference is the humidity. Here its more like 50% in winter vs about 16% on the Springs.

Oddly enough, due to my desert location, I'll be trading *up* in humidity... but then again, there ain't many places with less humidity than Arizona in the summer (prior to monsoon season, that is). In the dry season here, humidity routinely runs in the single digits, sometimes as low as 4%.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:06 AM

50,247 posts, read 23,866,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I recently moved from Colorado Springs to Concord, Ca. I was interested to see how the altitude change from 6000 ft to sea level effected my % O2 levels. In Colorado Springs, my reading was 93, but here it's 96. I do feel like I have better breathing here.

Almost identical O2 numbers here. Generally 93% in COS, generally 96 or 97% here in Phoenix.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:22 AM

8,592 posts, read 14,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
So what about your body didn't adjust, if I may be so impertinent to ask? Did you have pre-existing conditions going in, or did something happen while you were there?

I lived in Phoenix for a year. It's the Dallas of Arizona, and I don't mean that in a good way. Too big, too expensive, with aggressively nasty people who use the freeways as a contact sport. The heat is absolutely repulsive too - especially because Phoenix has turned into a massive heat island because of the concrete. I was way north near Mayo Clinic, but there were still nights it didn't drop below 90.

Anyhow, size-wise, I find I do better in small-middling metros... Tucson (1.04 million MSA) or smaller. Phoenix was just too much to wrap my mind around.
To be fair, Phoenix at least has scenery. DFW is flat, hot, and ugly as sin.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:01 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,186,754 times
I visited my son in Colorado Springs this past October and after the first few days I wasn't having as much of as issue with breathing as I did the first couple of days (I'm 66). I did have a sinus problem due to the dry air (I live in SW Florida) and it took about a week before my nose unclogged after returning home.

BTW my son is gay and lives with his partner in a new community. They have had no issues with neighbors or anyone else for that matter. He loves Colorado Springs.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I visited my son in Colorado Springs this past October and after the first few days I wasn't having as much of as issue with breathing as I did the first couple of days (I'm 66). I did have a sinus problem due to the dry air (I live in SW Florida) and it took about a week before my nose unclogged after returning home.
The funny thing is that I'm quite the reverse - I grew up in Portland OR where it's wet 24/7, and the only way my sinuses would unclog was to crank up the dehumidifier. When I moved to the desert, voila - clear breathing!

Old 01-04-2022, 04:57 PM

5,683 posts, read 4,099,725 times
Quote:
At my age, I'm more an emeritus gay,
Quote:
So I'm wondering if it's because fat people just die off faster,
This is pure gold right here.

Old 01-05-2022, 01:00 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,834,950 times
Quote:
(Boy, is that the most unattractive headline ever written or what...!)

With hours left to go in 2021... hello from Tucson! Someone I worked with at a hospital here recently relocated there to work as a moderately-sized cheese at UCHealth and is trying to interest me in following along.

Of course, I had the initial "OMG - Isn't Colorado Springs filled with right-wing anti-gay crazies?" reaction (blame the media) but thanks to reading a number of threads here, have learned that there aren't as many as the media makes them out to be, and if don't live up on the north end and stay downtown, north end or OCC I'll be OK... (thanks to Ms. Spork, wherever you are, for your plentiful and useful comments on the subject) so I'm not terrified I'll show up and get burned at the stake for being a gay man. At my age, I'm more an emeritus gay, but I've been out since the Ford Administration so I'm not going back now - and definitely will want to get involved with things like Pride and various other stuff that's going on.

The one question that is puzzling me is whether I'm going to die from the altitude thanks to my age (pushing 60) and excess of weight. Am I going to keel over of a heart attack? Tucson is at roughly 2400' so I wouldn't be coming right from sea level so that's one good thing...

I recently read a couple medical studies that claim that the risk of obesity decreases amongst populations at higher altitudes! I didn't expect that. So I'm wondering if it's because fat people just die off faster, or is there something in the thin air that causes fat people to breathe more heavily and metabolize fat more quickly, or do fat people actually exercise up there? I was the fat baby who turned into the chunky kid who turned out into the overweight adult, so it's not like I'm going to start suddenly mountain climbing - but am wondering if I'm setting myself up for a heart attack the week I get there (IF... I get there).

Any thoughts? I already know the snow isn't as bad as I assumed and that the weather changes on a dime and the rents are zooming upward (ha - welcome to life in Phoenix & Tucson!) and the license plates need a refresh, but wonder if any of you can testify to living in the mountains while fat.
There are plenty of fat, non-judgemental people living here, and some of them are active outdoorsy folks. You'll be fine. But as many suggest, it's a good idea to visit for a bit to see how you do at our altitude.

If you really want to be amongst a more liberal, artsy, laid back (and smaller) community, you might want to look at Manitou Springs, where the aforementioned coffin races along with a host of other crazy activities take place. We have a Fruitcake Toss where people devise crazy catapults to do away with unwanted Christmas fruitcakes. This is a town that also houses several ministries ... but they will not bother you.

Last edited by mtngigi; 01-05-2022 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: More info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs