Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:59 PM
MGS

72 posts, read 210,577 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am new here...I keep seeing / hearing about swamp coolers. Can someone elaborate about how these things work? Are they the same as a window A/C unit? Where do you put them? Do they have to have water to work? How much area do they cool - or are they more like a fan? Do you need 1 or 2 or many?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 05:10 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Swamp coolers aka 'evaporative coolers' cool air by adding water molecules aka 'humidity', to air drawn. They use a lot less energy than a conventional air conditioner, but are limited to areas that are very dry. They also differ in use because they need to exchange the air in the house to be effective. So you have to crack open windows or install special vents that open under pressure. Most older coolers use aspen pads that are saturated with water. Newer coolers use thicker pads that are much more efficient. I'm sure you can find more details on Google.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:45 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Some are installed on your roof, some are just countertop units. They work very well, and they do use water.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:39 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Swamp coolers aka 'evaporative coolers' cool air by adding water molecules aka 'humidity', to air drawn. They use a lot less energy than a conventional air conditioner, but are limited to areas that are very dry. They also differ in use because they need to exchange the air in the house to be effective. So you have to crack open windows or install special vents that open under pressure. Most older coolers use aspen pads that are saturated with water. Newer coolers use thicker pads that are much more efficient. I'm sure you can find more details on Google.
And the point about "very dry" is important. We used swamp coolers when I lived in Arizona, and during those 2-3 weeks of "monsoon" weather we got in the summer when the humidity would climb from 2-3% up to 10-20% the swamp cooler was almost useless. Lots of folks we knew had both a swamp cooler and an AC unit for those times.

In this area, I would think a swamp cooler would be a hit-or-miss proposition. I have an AC unit that I use for a few hours a day only about 5-10 days a year, when the temps get into the 90s and it's humid enough not to immediately cool off when the sun goes down. OTOH, we have a basement that stays 70-75 deg in the summer, and live down there during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs