Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 01:29 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,857,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
To your point, another downside of these high winds is not only dust but smoke from western wildfires. For example yesterday, we had sustained winds of 30 mph out of the WSW. I assume a lot of that haze was from the wildfires north of Flagstaff. During the summer months, we get the smoky haze from local fires as well as the Great Basin, California and the PNW. On cold winter days we usually have unparalleled blue, clear, clean skies. Too bad that doesn’t last all year. Praying for moisture. Living in Mountain Shadows, don’t want to go through another Waldo Canyon. Once was more than enough for a lifetime.
I'll never forget how weird it was to be evacuated at 1:00 a.m. Neighbors all milling around in the dark, it looked like a zombie movie. I was not prepared ... it was awful.

All I have to do is get a whiff of smoke, and it brings it all back. I don't want to go through that again either. Here's hoping for less wind and some rain, soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2022, 05:20 PM

174 posts, read 132,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I'll never forget how weird it was to be evacuated at 1:00 a.m. Neighbors all milling around in the dark, it looked like a zombie movie. I was not prepared ... it was awful.

All I have to do is get a whiff of smoke, and it brings it all back. I don't want to go through that again either. Here's hoping for less wind and some rain, soon.

Speaking of fire risk. I realize that virtually anywhere in CoS is at risk for fire. But can you tell me if this map is accurate?
https://co-pub.coloradoforestatlas.org/#/

Old 04-26-2022, 08:54 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
Speaking of fire risk. I realize that virtually anywhere in CoS is at risk for fire. But can you tell me if this map is accurate?
It is as accurate as anything available.

Old 04-27-2022, 09:03 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
I think the answer is no from this perspective. The map is showing the risk of wildfire essentially 'in the woods', so to speak, not the risk of fire that could sweep into populated areas with the wind.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:39 PM

5 posts, read 2,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
We are currently traveling, and it might make you guys happy (or maybe not) to know that the wind is really bad elsewhere right now, too. It was awful in New Mexico, and it's been bad in Texas for the last several days. I'm not sure why, but it is indeed annoying.
While we're used to wind up here in Cody WY, the wind over the past several months has been relentless. As much as I enjoy living in the inter-mountain west, the nearly constant wind of late has made it a challenge to enjoy outdoor activities. From the looks of the comments on here, it appears to be a region-wide phenomenon.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:44 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Our western states are the Saudi Arabia of wind, wish we could tap a lot more of it. (FYI: Enough sunlight falls here on Arizona to power the whole nation, the issue is transmitting it without voltage drop.)

Saw something today on the news that wind power now exceeds coal or nuclear power in the USA.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-09-2022, 11:56 AM

174 posts, read 132,332 times
I'm very concerned about this summer's fire risk.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:44 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
Here in the SW corner of the state I am resigned to this summer's fire risk. Everything is dry, dry, dry and somehow this relentless wind has managed to suck even more moisture out of vegetation that was already desiccated to begin with. The air here is all too often a combination of dust and smoke from all those bad fires just due south of us. I sure hope that this wind is not going to join the ranks of climate/weather events that have become the "new normal."

Old 05-10-2022, 09:55 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
It’s not even that desert-y YET.

As we drove through Tuba City recently, the high winds blasted red dust and sand constantly. I had never been in a dust storm that bad. There was almost no vegetation to hold it down. Breathing it was getting nasty.

I said to my husband, “This makes me think of the Saharan desert! And just think: not too far into the future, SW CO might look like this.”

Old 05-12-2022, 08:38 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,857,488 times
I've pretty much had it with the wind. Getting tired of picking up all the debris it carries. Plus, it's making it very difficult to be outside doing the usual clean-up and gardening stuff I like to do this time of year. I don't even want to be outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs