Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 07:05 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,145,965 times

Advertisements

They are back. Lots of them up here on the Palmer Divide. We got off kind of easy the last few years, but there seem to be tons already in just the last 2 days. Yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 09:50 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,899,992 times
Awwww... Around this time every year when people start to post about the Miller Moths, I get homesick. I'm surprised that all the wind we've been having didn't blow them all off course and they're not infesting some other town. Say, I don't suppose someone couldn't catch a jar full of them and FedEx them to me?

Old 05-11-2022, 03:34 PM

6,806 posts, read 10,448,447 times
I haven't seen any yet down south of town.

Old 05-11-2022, 05:00 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,836,830 times
Default Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Awwww... Around this time every year when people start to post about the Miller Moths, I get homesick. I'm surprised that all the wind we've been having didn't blow them all off course and they're not infesting some other town. Say, I don't suppose someone couldn't catch a jar full of them and FedEx them to me?
I'll see what I can do, but I haven't seen any yet. Can they be delivered COD?

Old 05-11-2022, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I'll see what I can do, but I haven't seen any yet. Can they be delivered COD?
I knew I could count on you, mtngigi! And Manitou Miller Moths are the best! Sure, send them COD and I promise I'll give them lots of water and my best wool sweater to eat. Once they've recovered from the rigors of their journey, I'll set them all free here in the Four Corners. With any luck Miller Moths will turn out to be an exotic invasive species and you and I will go down in the history books for giving the Millers a brand new home.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:15 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,145,965 times
Lots of people on Nextdoor reporting them on Palmer Divide/northern Black Forest areas.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:30 AM

667 posts, read 1,045,974 times
I have seen about three in my backyard in the past couple days (downtown COS).

Old 05-12-2022, 11:22 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,183,210 times
None in Briargate (so far) so hopefully the winds had some effect.

Some years we had a good freeze or two when the migration started- those were good years!

Old 05-12-2022, 01:56 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,127,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I knew I could count on you, mtngigi! And Manitou Miller Moths are the best! Sure, send them COD and I promise I'll give them lots of water and my best wool sweater to eat. Once they've recovered from the rigors of their journey, I'll set them all free here in the Four Corners. With any luck Miller Moths will turn out to be an exotic invasive species and you and I will go down in the history books for giving the Millers a brand new home.
Do they eat wool? I thought it was mostly the really small moths that eat wool (and other animal fiber: they love cashmere! And don't ask me how I know, that one of their preferred foods is ya-k hair...). Do all varieties of moth eat animal hair? Even those big beautiful ones that look like butterflies?

More info needed...

(C-D censor for some reason doesn't allow the word y-a-k.)

Old 05-12-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do they eat wool? I thought it was mostly the really small moths that eat wool (and other animal fiber: they love cashmere! And don't ask me how I know, that one of their preferred foods is ya-k hair...). Do all varieties of moth eat animal hair? Even those big beautiful ones that look like butterflies?

More info needed...

(C-D censor for some reason doesn't allow the word y-a-k.)
Miller moths don't eat wool. I was just joking about that one. According to the CSU extension office:

Quote:
The ‘miller moth,’ common in Colorado and adjacent states, is the adult stage of the army cutworm.
The caterpillar stage of the army cutworm feeds on crops and garden plants in winter and early spring.
The adult form of the army cutworm feeds on nectar in late spring through early fall.
The army cutworm? Yuck, that sounds disgusting! I must be REALLY homesick to long for Miller Moths!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs