Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 04:14 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwb View Post
Hmm? Just a thought. Do you know if the change in climate is expected to increase the chances of hail storm events around the higher elevations like COS?

And... Is $4700 a year common for homeowners insurance? That's 2/3 of my current property taxes! Yikes!
I expect storms to worsen, since they have is most places. I suspect that what we paid for insurance is fairly common, depending on value of home, etc. When we left our taxes and insurance were about equal.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 04:34 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,908,526 times
Quote:
Hmm? Just a thought. Do you know if the change in climate is expected to increase the chances of hail storm events around the higher elevations like COS?

And... Is $4700 a year common for homeowners insurance? That's 2/3 of my current property taxes! Yikes!
Climate scientists believe that hail may become less likely, but when it does happen the hail stones will be larger because the warming layer that will melt the hail stones is rising. That means smaller stones will melt easier, but larger stones will still fall.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:33 AM

5,851 posts, read 4,186,924 times
I never carried comprehensive and collision until we moved to COS. I added it just for hail. I ran the numbers, and the additional cost seemed like a good bet to me. My wife parks in our garage, but my truck won't fit in the garage. Who knows if I'll ever need it, but there have been some truly insane hail storms here.

My roofer a couple years ago told me about a customer of his in 2016 who had hail coming in through the structure of the roof and into the rooms of his house. He had to take cover in a doorway. That's obviously an extreme situation, and it's the sort of anecdote a roofer picks up out of the hundreds of customers he's seen (and during one of the worst hail storms in Colorado history), but crazy stuff can happen. In 2018, a neighbor of mine was over near the zoo during the hail storm that killed some birds in the zoo, and his b-pillars on his sedan were dented in. It totalled the car.

A lot of people think "Oh, I'll just drive the car with the damage," and that's fine if you're the sort to drive the same car for years and years until it's value gets pretty low. But if you ever go to sell it, significant hail damage can really affect the value of a car. That needs to play into the financial analysis, too.

Old 10-14-2022, 01:42 PM

81 posts, read 82,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I suspect that what we paid for insurance is fairly common, depending on value of home, etc. When we left our taxes and insurance were about equal.
Wow, even with our flood, our insurance only rose to $1400. After five years with no claims, it'll go back to around $800. Still, $4700 a year seems like an insane amount. I'm not surprised you moved to AZ

Old 10-14-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Climate scientists believe that hail may become less likely, but when it does happen the hail stones will be larger because the warming layer that will melt the hail stones is rising. That means smaller stones will melt easier, but larger stones will still fall.
You're not selling me on this move

Old 10-14-2022, 04:40 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,908,526 times
Quote:
We don't typically get the baseball sized hail that places like DFW get. Here it usually maxes out at ping-pong sized. Most hail storms are pea to marble size.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:10 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,713,894 times
I had hail damage twice. $1800 the first time. Did paintless dent repair. $9600 on the second. They didn’t total the car on the second, but we took the check from insurance, then traded in the car and got $3000 for the trade. The total was more than KBB value. Winner!

Old 10-16-2022, 09:11 AM

50,884 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
https://gazette.com/business/july-ha...912ec956d.html

Ah yes, I remember it well.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Wow... any chance the hail storms are weaker in the Boulder foothill communities?

Old 10-17-2022, 02:16 PM

5,851 posts, read 4,186,924 times
Quote:
Wow... any chance the hail storms are weaker in the Boulder foothill communities?
The 2016 storm was the worst in Colorado Springs history, I believe. Our hail is rarely like that. And I'd be surprised if other front range areas are significantly better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs