Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:54 AM

108 posts, read 305,774 times

Advertisements

I have a serious problem with people who say: "I'm a conservative", or I'm a liberal". Personally, I'm conservative on some things and I'm liberal on others. In other words, I'm a moderate. Here in the Southwest( Tulsa), the word "liberal" is on par with the "f" word. I've lived in 6 different states, and I can honestly say that "liberal cities/states" had THE highest quality of living ( medical, education, public transportation, jobs, and other resources than the so-called "conservative" places.

As a believer in Jesus Christ, I've found that the so-called "conservative" cities were full of religious hypocrites that made me ashamed to call myself a follower of Christ by their meaness and hateful attitudes!! What the devil does conservativism mean, as it's applied to Colorado Springs?

Last edited by LeftHook; 05-27-2008 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Rephrase my wuestion

Old 05-27-2008, 03:24 PM

41 posts, read 194,335 times
To me, being a conservative means respecting others rights to their property, beliefs and person,as enshrined in the Constitution. Liberals want the state to control your property (rent control,seizure of your property for private gain), punish you if you have the wrong beliefs (Waco,Ruby Ridge, YFZ Ranch raid), and control what you put in your body (anti-drug, smoke, alcohol laws). Notice that I don't confuse Liberal with Democrat, or Conservative with Republican. I consider Colorado to be a 'free state' as compared to California, which I consider 'unfree'. If you want to live in a place where you can tell your neighbor how to live, move to 'Frisco or Berkeley. If you want more freedom, move to the midwest. My ability to control my neighbor ends at my fence line. That's what conservative means to me, in a nutshell.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:08 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Well, I think you'll find that "Conservative" means different things to different people.

Here in Colorado, statewide conservatives tend to be more of the more along the lines of "the government that governs least governs best" variety, tending see a limited role in government. They want uncle sam out of their pocketbooks AND their private lives. This branch could be seen as more "libertarian" than "conservative," but Ron Paul amply represents this in the mainstream GOP. In state, Doug Bruce (though he's just about the world's biggest jerk) is an extreme example of this -- basically he wants to cut state government down to the smallest level possible (though he has a social/religious conservative streak as well). The Independence Institute (Jon Caldera) is again an extreme example: basically he opposes pretty much all spending at any level of government (he HATES public transit but also opposes spending on new freeways), but unlike Bruce Caldara doesn't care about the social or religious issues. Personally, I'm sympathetic to the point of view, but find Ron Paul, Jon Caldera, and Doug Bruce all a bit too extreme and ideological for my tastes.

The Springs, of course, has Dr. Dobson and Focus on the Family. Dobson certainly has his supporters both in Colorado Springs and outside, but their brand of conservativism is an uncomfortable fit in the state GOP. Clearly, Colorado Springs is Dr. Dobson's heartland, though as many people (even Republicans) loathe Focus as those who love them.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:50 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,974 times
A conservative is a liberal that's been carjacked.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:03 AM

188 posts, read 933,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHook View Post
As a believer in Jesus Christ, I've found that the so-called "conservative" cities were full of religious hypocrites that made me ashamed to call myself a follower of Christ by their meaness and hateful attitudes!! What the devil does conservativism mean, as it's applied to Colorado Springs?
It was a bunch of those types back in Kansas that made me start leaning away from "conservative" and toward "liberal." But I think here it tends to apply more to taxation and how much the government intervenes in your life.
Trouble is, you have to have some taxation and intervention in your life if you want to have law enforcement and fire protection, etc., and I find Colorado Springs does not spend nearly as much on these things as they did in Kansas, and sometimes I don't feel as safe as a result.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:18 PM

That's exactly my point Janet. When it comes to military strength, crime,and so-called "moral values", I'm a conservative. When it comes to taxation I guess I'm a "liberal"....By that I mean, I believe in taxes because taxes are revenue!. Without taxation we wouldn't be able to enjoy or at least have services (snow removal, police, road works, military,etc). It's been my experience that the poorest, most sorriest states in the union are anti-tax! Well, you can't have yer cake and eat it!! If you're always whining and belly-aching about taxes, don't get angry when basic services(education,etc) are poor.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:40 PM

Speaking for all conservatives everywhere (I'll send y'all my bill later), taxation for the purposes of providing a public service is, generally speaking, an accepted principle of government.

OTOH, taxation for the purposes of redistributing the wealth earned by those who actually work and invest to others who have not earned diddly is a call to arms.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:50 AM

268 posts, read 1,130,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Speaking for all conservatives everywhere (I'll send y'all my bill later), taxation for the purposes of providing a public service is, generally speaking, an accepted principle of government.

OTOH, taxation for the purposes of redistributing the wealth earned by those who actually work and invest to others who have not earned diddly is a call to arms.
I will agree as long as it is done reasonably. There are people out there who will mooch from any source they can find. There are plenty more who are responsible and self-sufficient and would feel ashamed to take public handouts. As long as we are not bolstering the social leech's lifestyle and providing for when that regular joe just needs a helping hand we are doing what is right. When we are still footing the bill for some like these so-called Katrina victims to use and abuse taxpayer money, we are doing it wrong.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:10 AM

Bob and Postal (I used to be a letter-carrier btw) I agree with you both. What I haven't heard from you guys is how our "reasonable tax" dollars are being used for abortions or this wonderful war that Mr President has gotten us into...Hmmm?

Old 05-30-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHook View Post
Bob and Postal (I used to be a letter-carrier btw) I agree with you both. What I haven't heard from you guys is how our "reasonable tax" dollars are being used for abortions or this wonderful war that Mr President has gotten us into...Hmmm?

With respect to the war, if you are against what the President has decided we need do, vote him and those who support him out of office. That's the whole idea of representative government...we elect the President as Commander-in-Chief and he gets to make calls in real time. Vote the wrong guy into office, and you'll get the wrong call when the sheet heets the fan.

If you don't want tax money used for abortions, tell your Senators and Congresscritter. It's soooooooo easy to e-mail a lawmaker these days with your opinion...yet so few people do it. Those who do actually can make a difference...most reps actually take notice of what people send them. If they're too far off the reservation, then work actively to get them replaced.

I'd guess that something like .01% of the population even gives enough of a damn to send a 2-line e-mail about the things they care about.

My Congressman and Senators have heard a lot from me lately on bank and mortgage bailouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs