Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,186 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to CS from Manhattan KS. I'm interested in places NOT to live in CS. I would be joining UCCS, so is the area around campus a nice place to live (read, parks for my family, shopping, stores, schools, affordable housing)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 02:46 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
Actually, if I get kicked out of my current digs (Briargate) or what have you, I plan on looking for a house near UCCS (near Protal Park). The area is kind of lower-income but it's a pretty stable 'hood for the most part.

Your other option would be Garden Ranch which is on the north east side of Palmer Park near Grant Elementary (went there myself). Both are close to UCCS, shopping is kind of iffy at the moment because of them demolishing Shops at the Bluffs (the first mall I ever stepped into).

Your other option is University Park but I am not sure about the pricing of housing but the neighborhood is pretty nice too.

Mostly, the 'hoods around UCCS and such are pretty nice regardless of your income level. It ranges from extreme income (million dollar homes) to lower income levels. The area is pretty safe, lots of parks, not to mention easy access to Palmer Park.

I have more photos but this is a quick look at a jaunt I took in Palmer Park in March:

Trip to Palmer Park in Colorado Springs 03-37-08

Old 06-04-2008, 03:24 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Actually, if I get kicked out of my current digs (Briargate) or what have you, I plan on looking for a house near UCCS (near Protal Park). The area is kind of lower-income but it's a pretty stable 'hood for the most part.

Your other option would be Garden Ranch which is on the north east side of Palmer Park near Grant Elementary (went there myself). Both are close to UCCS, shopping is kind of iffy at the moment because of them demolishing Shops at the Bluffs (the first mall I ever stepped into).

Your other option is University Park but I am not sure about the pricing of housing but the neighborhood is pretty nice too.

Mostly, the 'hoods around UCCS and such are pretty nice regardless of your income level. It ranges from extreme income (million dollar homes) to lower income levels. The area is pretty safe, lots of parks, not to mention easy access to Palmer Park.
Somehow, reference to a neighborhood as a "kind of lower-income but pretty stable 'hood" makes me think crack houses, public housing, and streetwalkers.

OTOH, for someone coming from Silo Tech it might give them fond memories of Aggieville.

Disclaimer: Rock-Chalk-Jay-Hawk, bay-bee

Old 06-04-2008, 03:47 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Somehow, reference to a neighborhood as a "kind of lower-income but pretty stable 'hood" makes me think crack houses, public housing, and streetwalkers.

OTOH, for someone coming from Silo Tech it might give them fond memories of Aggieville.

Disclaimer: Rock-Chalk-Jay-Hawk, bay-bee
Well it is lower-income. I grew up around a lot of the kids from the area when I was attending Horace Mann Junior High.

Not a cracked out place, in fact my brother lived there for several years before he met his now wife.

Funny that, one of the guys that used to work for my dad (may he rest in peace) lived down the street and we had a bit of a "thing" going on. He used to leave roses on my truck when I would be here for sales meetings.

yeah, I used to stay with my bro instead of my parents and he lived a couple of blocks from Edison and that other park...crap, I used to smoke the dopage there in my early years.

Anyhow, it's a pretty nice 'hood considering the income level of most in the area.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:40 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,276 times
Horace Mann...ewwwwwww! One of my rivals whilst I was in Junior High! Lake too!!!!!!!!!

I went to Skinner Junior High ( another ewwwwww).

I stood out like a banana in a bowl of grapes!! I was 6ft tall and blonde!!
I wanted sooooo bad to be short and dark and stout!
Be careful what you wish for!LOL!! I'm still 6ft and blonde.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:20 PM

31 posts, read 96,448 times
I live at the edge of Portal Park. UCCS is very nearby, and I have seen houses for rent on Acacia near Meadow (just down the road from the College). Granted I have only been in the area a few months now, but I know of atleast 3 parks in the immediate area and its pretty quiet at night. Portal park also has a public pool. The only complaint I have is the corner grocery store is a distance away. I like it, I think you will too.

As for rental prices, I am not sure, we rent a 4 br, 2300sq ft for 1185.00 per month. Our front door looks at Portal Park playground. We found our place on Craigslist. Hope this helps!

Last edited by maryjh1976; 06-04-2008 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: Additional Info

Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,186 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback. BTW, "Bob from Down South" I have no affection for KSU - I just work here. In my book it's Boomer Sooner baby! Before coming to Manhattan I was in Salt Lake City - great for the mountains and that's what I really miss...

Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM

38 posts, read 112,315 times
Can someone tell me how far is Yuma from Colorado springs to commute, they have an opening for a teaching job

thanks,

Old 03-05-2009, 04:10 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
I presume you mean Yuma Colorado? Its about 3.5 hours drive according to Google maps (you can find estimated driving times from one place to another in mapquest or google maps websites). If you are talking about Yuma Arizona, its more like 14.5 hours. Neither would be a reasonable daily commute.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:43 PM

140 posts, read 441,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Neither would be a reasonable daily commute.
Understatement of the week...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs