Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:13 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,007,205 times

Advertisements

One of the local charter schools is featured on today's NPR website: School Devoted to Traditional Teaching, Values : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 AM

Classical Academy is in the news again, this time not so nice. Allegations of racial incidents, bullying, and these:
- Failure to demonstrate financial transparency and implement adequate financial controls.
- Failure to eliminate conflicts of interest.
- Failure to demonstrate adequate accountability, maintain open records, and provide the public with access to documents and information.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:19 AM

227 posts, read 1,043,937 times
Mike, I just read this on the gazette.com website last night! I am amazed at the article. I have a friend whose kids attend TCA....will have to pump her for some inside information!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:14 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,277 times
Here's an article from the Indy: A slippery slope : Families, teachers say they've been pushed out of D-20's 'city on a hill' : Local News : Local News : Colorado Springs Independent : Colorado Springs

Old 03-19-2009, 06:06 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,506 times
Heavens, I know D20 stories that make it comparable to D2 schools. Hence why I keep saying schools differ only by socio-economics. Otherwise we use the same curriculum, teachers meet up together for the same trainings/seminars, teachers rotate through districts, same with students.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Today, the report on the allegations made earlier this year was released.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:37 PM

24 posts, read 38,498 times
Default Opinions of The Classical Academy?

Hello!
My husband and I are considering relocating to Colorado Springs --he loves Colorado and I am eager to get away from the high cost of living and concrete in California. We have put feelers out to a few places (contingent on finding a job, good private and/or charter schools, etc.)

What put Colorado Springs near the top of the list was The Classical Academy: classical schools are hard to come by where we live now, and the educational model (the Trivium) of a classical school is ideal for how our kiddo learns. TCA seems to have a solid academic reputation. Its mission statement correlates to what I want in both education and environment. I have read previous threads on this forum, however, linking to articles that question the school's integrity vis-a-vis bullying, harassment, and administrative transparency. This does, of course, give me pause.

Our kiddo is on the waiting list, and my husband is in CO this week on business and will attend the new parents' meeting to get a feel for whether the school would be a good fit for our child. As it stands, based on the curriculum -on paper anyway- if our kiddo was offered a spot at TCA that would be the catalyst we'd need to pick up and move.

Would anyone kindly share his or her opinions of the school? I'd especially like to hear from parents of students, or friends of families who currently or formerly attended TCA: the reviews on Great Schools only paint a partial picture, and although I'm very excited by the prospect of my kiddo attending a school that appears to be so academically strong, I'm hesitant based on some of the negative things I've read.

Any input that provides additional clarity would be fantastic!

kind regards to everyone! Thanks!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:16 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,306 times
Moving based on school? Seems dangerous.

I can agree with getting out of the high CoL in California, but what do you mean about the concrete? Cali has constant gridlock because they refuse to pour enough asphalt for people to drive on. We don't have that problem. Not to come off as insensitive, but our asphalt/concrete to person ratio may be significantly higher, and we are very happy about that.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:25 AM

24 posts, read 38,498 times
Oh no, what I meant about too much concrete is that our neighborhood is urban and gray, the sky is smoggy, one is constantly in traffic, and nature is a multi- hour drive to get to. CO seems famous for its "outdoorsy" lifestyle, and closer proximity to hiking and whatnot. Not a literal escape from concrete.

And yes, we get many funny looks when we say we'd move for school: to us, it's worth it. We want to invest the effort to encourage the kids' long term happiness (good school, room to run around in)... It isnt as though we are chasing the next best thing, we want to drop roots in a place that offers more of what we want for our family.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaB View Post
Oh no, what I meant about too much concrete is that our neighborhood is urban and gray, the sky is smoggy, one is constantly in traffic, and nature is a multi- hour drive to get to.
I left Orange County California for many of the same reasons. Moved here when my daughter was 4 so she could start school here. The crowded conditions in southern California really got to me. And yes, they do have beaches and mountains, but even those 'getaways' were crowded with people. You will love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs