Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:43 PM

114 posts, read 512,148 times

Advertisements

I think I have previously mentioned that we are looking at the Briargate area. I know that the zip code is 80920. We also looked at Northgate and I believe Northwest area. I remember District 20 being the recommended district. Is there another district within the city limits that people prefer?? Reason being is that the houses in the above mentioned areas may be too pricey. Can anyone recommend another zip code(s) for me to look at?? We want 3-4 bedroom 2 bath with basement. Near schools, kept up area, etc....

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 06:27 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Here's some info...

Dist 38 Lewis Palmer District, very good schools, 4 zips. North of town a few miles, but close.
Dist 38 Map of school boundaries.
80132 Palmer Lake, Monument, Woodmoor, most areas north of Baptist Rd
80908 If north of Baptist Road (considerable area)
80920 If north of Baptist Road (very small area)

Dist 20 aka Academy School District, excellent schools, 3 zips that may work.
Dist 20 school boundaries maps.
80924 Cordera / Wolf Ranch
80921 Gleneagle (if south of Baptist Road)
80920 Briargate (my favorite area)
80908 South of Baptist Road (some of this zip may be known as Black Forest area)

Dist 12, main web site, excellent schools
Dist 12, general map
80906 Broadmoor area (parts of this are very pricey)

Dist 11, The bulk of the city of COS. Decent schools, some better than others, some zips may be so-so areas. School board recall election is over, three members were replaced, board turmoil may subside, kids may now fare better.
D11, various map options, at bottom of page is the "school finder" map, which is then selectable by elem, middle, senior high level boundaries.
80917 N of Constitution, E of Academy, W of Powers, S of Woodmen
80907 Old Colorado City (lesser amounts than 80904)
80904 Old Colorado City, East of Garden of the Gods, up Centennial Blvd

Dist 8, Fountain, Colorado (near Fort Carson) Excellent schools
Dist 8, boundary maps.

Dist 49, Falcon area.
D49 Boundary Maps.
East of town. Some schools are crowded. Housing is more affordable. City is growing towards that area.
80908 The far east and northeast areas of Black Forest
80106 Along Meridian Road, etc north of Falcon
80831 Falcon area
80915 E of Marksheffel, S of Woodmen
80922 E of Powers, W of Marksheffel, S of Woodmen

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-10-2017 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Updated the links, DEC 2017.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:50 PM

Thank you sooooo much for all that Mike!!! Once again....you are AWESOME!!!! Man that helps a TON!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone tell me what areas might have homes int he 170k range?? Or am I dreaming??????? Can we look at houses that are 180 or 190 and offer them 175 and get something? I know that's on a case to case basis.... but is the market affording price negotiations like that?? We will be all cash buyer's if that makes a difference!

Old 01-14-2007, 11:26 AM

We would really like someone that lives in or near the Briargate area..... Northeast area etc...to give us some input on the good and not so good neiighborhoods.....first hand experience is so much better!!! I want to narrow down and area and concentrate my efforts and time on that, instead of such a broad area(Colorado Springs seems large to me!!!). I know in our town, I know all the areas and could steer people in the right direction, hoping someone can do that for us! We want an area with a lot of young families(near 30) with smaller kids(under say 7 or 8). We want to have the real community feel..... a decent size house with at least 3 bedrooms and a basement. We would like a decent size lot..... but tract home. We need to spend not more than about 175k.... is that too limiting?? I dont want to have to buy in a not so great area because of the prices.... so need to see if we can pay cash with what we have, or if we will have to get a loan......REALLY dont want to do that. After being married to our mortgage for our entire marriage(9yrs!) we want a break!!!

Thank you sooooo much!

Old 01-14-2007, 11:40 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,309,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoCO View Post
We would really like someone that lives in or near the Briargate area..... Northeast area etc...to give us some input on the good and not so good neiighborhoods.....first hand experience is so much better!!! I want to narrow down and area and concentrate my efforts and time on that, instead of such a broad area(Colorado Springs seems large to me!!!). I know in our town, I know all the areas and could steer people in the right direction, hoping someone can do that for us! We want an area with a lot of young families(near 30) with smaller kids(under say 7 or 8). We want to have the real community feel..... a decent size house with at least 3 bedrooms and a basement. We would like a decent size lot..... but tract home. We need to spend not more than about 175k.... is that too limiting?? I dont want to have to buy in a not so great area because of the prices.... so need to see if we can pay cash with what we have, or if we will have to get a loan......REALLY dont want to do that. After being married to our mortgage for our entire marriage(9yrs!) we want a break!!!

Thank you sooooo much!
I Live in Briargate near Rampart High School.

Zillow now shows listed homes for sale. Look Here: http://www.zillow.com/search/Search....20&mode=browse

I think you will be able to find what you are looking for here. Median home prices in CS were $225K last month, and Briargate is more affordable than some other areas.

Briargate has stable sandy soils, so the houses do not shift around as they can if built on clay soils. Homes west of I-25 are more likely to have foundation problems.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:58 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Vision67, thanks for adding....glad to see there's more than me on here from the Briargate/Pine Creek/Bison Ridge area.

CA to CO: Ditto what vision67 said. IMO, there are no bad parts of the Briargate area....it's all good.

Only advice I'd give is to not live right next to any commercial area, like Chapel Hills Mall, etc, as any business strip or mall generates noise/traffic. If you're playing around on mapquest, Rampart HS is at the corner of Union and Lexington Blvds. I just wish you could come here and see this area - we knew almost at once that this area was for us... great views of the Peak, wide streets, lovely newer homes, great schools... good access to the city and the highways...

Up near Rampart HS is very nice, but whole area up here is nice. You really can't go wrong on the north-east side.

s/mike

Old 01-14-2007, 02:28 PM

Thanks you both!! We have been up there-spent most our time there when we were there--- but that was 6 years ago!! I am (or was) directionally challenged at the time!! I have since gotten much better!! My husband has been working crazy hours... but finally got to talk to him last night and he said hands down its the Briargate area for sure and Northeast....so glad we all agree!!! Thank you again!! Amy

Old 01-15-2007, 11:15 AM

53 posts, read 451,655 times
Default I live in the Northeast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoCO View Post
Northeast area etc...to give us some input on the good and not so good neiighborhoods.....We need to spend not more than about 175k.... is that too limiting??
I live in the north east area of Colorado Springs (Austin bluffs and Academy).

175k may be a little tough, but if you can get to 185-190k you can do really well in the northeast, east areas. I'm a real estate appraiser and have profiled these areas on my website. If you are interested just click on my profile and follow the properties link on the left hand side. I don't want to break the forum rules so I'm not putting the link on there, but it may be exactly the information you are looking for. (Mike from back east...if I overstepped my bounds with that one, let me know. I just don't feel like typing all of the information I've already got up in another place.)

Some of the D-11 schools have been consistently good or improving. My kids go to a school that is ranked HIGH by the state and has improved test scores for the past 3 years. It is not the nicest school in the world, but D-11 has a bond that is improving the schools over the next 3 years. Many of the houses in the area were built in the 1970's. My house has been refurbished. It was built in 1971 and is the same age as me. My kids play out on the cul-de-sac with other kids and we have a great little community here. I have a lot with about 14000 sq. ft. which is larger than many of the lots in Briargate (about 9000 sq. ft.) and really like my large back yard.

I think you would do well to consider Garden Ranch, Vista Grande Terrace or Village 7 (east). You are close to the Powers corridor which is really nice because you have some great shops there. You are close to Palmer Park which is a great park, and you are centrally located in Colorado Springs.

These are my favorite neighborhoods in Colorado Springs (except Black Forest) which is out of my price range.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:57 PM

Thank you so much for that!! We arae getting so excited to finally get moved over there. It's been a loooong haul! I doubt we will be able to come up with any more money-- since the houses have gone down here in Ca. That's sad to hear. But...... you never know... we arent afraid of some work-- like a fixer upper...cosmetic not structural though! Any ideas on that?? Price wise and neighborhood??

Amy

Old 01-16-2007, 08:38 AM

53 posts, read 451,655 times
Default You still can find a house

I bet you can find a house in the east or northeast that will meet your needs even if you can only spend $175,000. A little patience and a good real estate agent is all you will need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs