Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:50 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoldGreen View Post
Can those that are living in Manitou Springs comment on the degree that witchcraft and devil worshiping plays in the character of the town. My wife and I are considering a move and while we’re open to much of life’s diversity, we don’t want to reside (and raise our 3 young girls) in a place where you openly witness people gathering and doing whatever satanic things they might do. We don’t mind a yearly festival where some of this might be seen, but can you live there without this intrusion? Please let me know how long you’ve lived there as well. Your opinion is very much appreciated.
Arnold Green
It's WAY overstated to the point of urban myth. First of all, to my knowledge, there are no "devil worshippers" there. I lived there for a year after my divorce and saw nothing like that going on. Are there Wiccans there....yeah, probably...just like there are Wiccans in Colorado Springs proper or any other town/city. Is it some sort of Wiccan Mecca...not that I noticed. There are all kinds of hippie and NewAge types there...as well as bikers...tourists...and plain old folks. You really don't have to worry about fires in the night and chants to the gods or anything going on. There is some sort of metaphysical fair there in the park every year with people selling stuff and a couple of stores on the strip that sell that type of stuff, but that's pretty much the extent of the activity there. Nothing to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 02:55 PM

252 posts, read 925,843 times
Default Devils and Witches

I live with a witch, a devil and a pirate..................
Attached Thumbnails
wiccan clubs in Manitou Springs?-winky-witch.jpg   wiccan clubs in Manitou Springs?-lala-devil.jpg   wiccan clubs in Manitou Springs?-moose.jpg  

Old 10-20-2008, 03:13 PM

336 posts, read 697,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxLuva View Post
I live with a witch, a devil and a pirate..................

Those pics are too cute!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 03:33 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Wiccans do NOT worship the devil. Please take a close look at Common Questions About Witchcraft for a greater understanding of this group and their belief system.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:11 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,857,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoldGreen View Post
Can those that are living in Manitou Springs comment on the degree that witchcraft and devil worshiping plays in the character of the town. My wife and I are considering a move and while we’re open to much of life’s diversity, we don’t want to reside (and raise our 3 young girls) in a place where you openly witness people gathering and doing whatever satanic things they might do. We don’t mind a yearly festival where some of this might be seen, but can you live there without this intrusion? Please let me know how long you’ve lived there as well. Your opinion is very much appreciated.
Arnold Green
Lived here since 1984 - never been accosted by a witch or warlock. My cat is normal (as normal as cats can be). Don't know of any "witch festivals".

Are there odd people here? Of course. Name a place where everyone around you is normal. Manitou also has a large Christian ministry that has called this town home for many years - Summit Ministries. We also have great little shops, restaurants, art galleries, Pikes Peak, a diverse and ecletic community and lots of fun events all year long, like the Fruitcake Toss.

Numerous free concerts in the park, farmer's markets all summer, Pikes Peak, a very highly-regarded school system, and mountain trails a hop, skip and a jump away. Natural mineral springs all over town. A nice big indoor pool for locals and visitors alike. Numerous parks, beautiful weather, Pikes Peak.

Well, I could go on and on, but I'll stop. To those who think people who live here are "effing weird", well, I guess maybe they haven't met everyone who lives here.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:35 AM

165 posts, read 437,509 times
Well I am moving there shortly and have seen no evidence of it. I think it is overblown but that doesn't mean it's not there.

Quote:
Can those that are living in Manitou Springs comment on the degree that witchcraft and devil worshiping plays in the character of the town. My wife and I are considering a move and while we’re open to much of life’s diversity, we don’t want to reside (and raise our 3 young girls) in a place where you openly witness people gathering and doing whatever satanic things they might do
While I have no kids, I can understand concern over where one raises a family. From everything I have witnessed it seems like a nice small town for a family, helpd by it's proximity to Colorado Springs.

But just so it is clear, Wicca is NOT devil worship. It has nothing to do with anything satanic. I am not an expert, but about 5 seconds of searching online shows it's basically a religion centered around reverence for nature. It is pantheistic, embraces human sexuality, recognizes nature as a powerful force and lets its members come and go as they choose. It is most certainly not christianity, but it is most certainly not devil worship.

It may have some extremist wacko fundamentalists, but I would challenge you to find one religion on earth that doesn't also have the same problem.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 PM

454 posts, read 1,224,504 times
Hey blue good comments. I second everything you say because my ex was a Wiccan and it definitely had nothing to do with devils at all! And they are actually all over the world. Manitou has alot of diversity there and most of it isn't bad at all. So I think anyone kids would be safe there. If anything they might learn about different religions.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:40 PM

165 posts, read 437,509 times
I agree. If I had kids I would live there with them and not think twice about it.

I consider one of the greatest gifts my parents ever gave me was not baptising me and letting me live my life without religion. They helped put religious experiences of varying degree in my path throughtout my life and it was up to me to decide where to fit in, if I chose to fit in at all. I have witnessed wiccan, catholic, jewish, protestant, baptist, muslim, buddhist, hindu and sikh religious services and learned something from each one.

This of course does not work with people that believe religion makes a person "good", which I personally do not believe even a little bit.

I feel these differing views and experiences have only enhanced my life and my understanding of the world, and plan on someday giving those opportunities to my children if I do have them one day.

Of course, many people simply do not want diversity and are fearful of multiple points of view, convinced till death that their view is the only "correct" one. Those types of people, while I am sure they would be welcomed in Manitou Springs because they seem very welcoming on the whole, would probably find it a little bit more difficult to live there than the more seemingly 'conservative' places.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 28,474 times
Much thanks for your comments. We plan to visit shortly and look around.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:28 PM

252 posts, read 925,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri722 View Post
Those pics are too cute!!!
Thank you very much, and my 4-legged wiccan children thank you too SMILE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs