Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:59 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Debauchery. Tell me more.

Drugs, sex, and rock n' roll. Not necessarily in that order of fun or frequency.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:09 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Debauchery. Tell me more.

Agreed. But Kansas on the other hand...
Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
LOL, the above posts are all interesting and some quite funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is it OK for a church to use a public school for their service without paying rent or a lease?

It is happening at Prairie Winds Elementary near Monument being used by fox meadow church.

Your tax dollars at work.
In the Boulder Valley School District, relgious groups can rent out space in schools. The key word is "rent". They pay for the space. Most churches that do so are building a home of their own and just renting the space in the interim. I have serious issues with letting churches use school property for free.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:55 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
I am an Atheist. You can see that from my moniker. I believe atheists should come out of the closet and stop hiding. We all have protected rights to believe or not believe.

My many posts show that I have given infomation to people about where churches are located and the services they offer and have given the god believers their due. I see nothing wrong with that because I respect the different religious groups in my community. I often attend events at local churches----especially when they have some good food--I have written on that often.

It is ridiculous to say that religion has not contributed some to our community. I get treated at a hospital, founded by a religious order. I have volunteered at facilities run by religious groups and when I have a need; I have received help from religious groups.

That does not mean that I am required to ascribe to any religious belief. That does not mean that I have to be pestered and harrassed by ignorant people esposing their "unfounded truths." That also does not mean that I have a right to pester or harass them; unless they start an attack and I will respond in kind.

However, I have had very few problems with any group--be they mormons, muslims, jews, protestant christian. orthodox or catholics or any other followers of the abrahamic delusions and deceptions. I reject them just as much as I reject b'hais, hindu, sikhism, parsees, corrupted buddhist, satanist, witches etc. and worst of all the believers in the football and entertainment gods.

I do find it disgusting to see god deceivers yelling and screaming their creed on public space, such as downtown, because that is their church activity for the day. These are are the ignorant people, I dislike. I would not think to impose my beliefs and break the peace which the people deserve.

I have been invited many times to churches and seminars and I have attended---Yes, if they have good snacks it helps; I have sat on committees, and been in groups where religious invocations have been given; I have shown respect and I have been given respect. There have been times with some loud, obnoxious people repeating the same old litany; the same old tired speech--but that is not often.

Remember we atheist are here---we are not going away and you god believers just have to accept it. If you believe in your three-headed gods, then let her trinity deal with us--it is not your place to make judgement, it is her place. However, Afterall you belief is an invisible person who is all powerful, all knowing and all good--so what does IT need you, to condemn me. You can wrap yourself up in all the nonsense you want; it is your right----but my right is to reject that which is nonsensical.

I believe in one knowledge seeking entity and that is we humans together, and our future progeny.

I, without the invention of gods,
livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-23-2008 at 12:31 AM..

Old 07-23-2008, 12:18 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
My impression is that Colorado for the most part, is accepting of both religious and non-religious people. I personally have not witnessed an "anti-Christian" sentiment here in Colorado. As others have pointed out, most of the resentment is directly targeted at Dobson and his Focus on the Family cult. For decades, that organization has tried to control the Colorado political climate by vocally supporting hateful legislation all in the name of God. Many people in this state are simply tired of their political B.S. and wish that they would move their headquarters to another state or start minding their own business.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:39 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
I really doubt that a church would use a public school's facilities for free. Remember, "Praise the Lord, Pass the Basket?" Churches very much pay their own way. They do this for one very important political reason; so they can do what they want and need to do.

Quote:
Your tax dollars at work.
This is another thing that CAN'T happen, Charles. You know why? Well let's look at it this way; would you like our churches here in America to be taxed? No. The answer to that is No. That is unless you want the Churches running the Government. Some are quick to claim they already have too much power.

If they pay their own way, they can do what they want. If you don't accept their money, they can't run you either.

As far as my God being nonsense, that's about right. It makes no "sense" as in it's not logical...not of the 5 given senses, 4 of which are in our crazy noodles. God is too big for that.

I like the contempt for the Football and Entertainment gods. That is funny. It reminds me of Kathy Griffin when she says, Oh, well God's too busy to deal with the drought in east Africa, your Grammy was more important...or something to that effect. So on that note, Drop-Kick me Jesus through the Goal-Posts of Life. Praise the Lord, Pass the Basket.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 AM

149 posts, read 323,004 times
Default Colorado Springs is great.

OP. I moved to Colorado Springs two years ago. I absolutely love it. I attend a great church and I am amazed at how family friendly this area is. Kids everywhere. Good courteous kids. I would not be worried in the least about negativity. Usually a person who is quick to wage a fierce battle is ripe for the picken (not always). It is the passive "everything is A O K" type of person that seem to be harder to reach. I agree we should not pester anyone. I word of truth in a time of need is usually welcomed.

You will love it here.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
and worst of all the believers in the football and entertainment gods.

I do find it disgusting to see god deceivers yelling and screaming their creed on public space, such as downtown, because that is their church activity for the day. These are are the ignorant people,
While a lot of people get excited about sports, I think a lot are interested in the science of human sports: Who's the fastest, strongest, etc. I think it's pretty harmless.

I don't these people are ignorant (though they may be annoying). They actually believe what there are shouting. I think they have a psychological condition; a form of delusion. I don't know if it is healthy or unhealthy.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:30 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Some of us view them as extremist and hateful. They use religion to spread fear and hate of gay people, attempt to enact legislation to make it legal to discriminate against gay people, and make up anti-gay propaganda and lies that would make Hitler proud. I know not everyone in CS buys into their crap, but when the first thing I see driving into town is a big sign on the freeway announcing such an extremist organization, I don't feel welcome in the city. To be truthful, the group is a black eye on the entire state and I wish they'd relocate to some other state.
Here we go again...just because people of faith see homosexuality as a depraved abomination doesn't mean we "hate gay people", any more than we "hate" a mad dog slobbering its way up the street. It's not hate to want to be separated from something distasteful or dangerous.

Disapproval is not hate. That's just vernacular used by the homosexual crowd for political effect.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
My impression is that Colorado for the most part, is accepting of both religious and non-religious people. I personally have not witnessed an "anti-Christian" sentiment here in Colorado. As others have pointed out, most of the resentment is directly targeted at Dobson and his Focus on the Family cult. For decades, that organization has tried to control the Colorado political climate by vocally supporting hateful legislation all in the name of God. Many people in this state are simply tired of their political B.S. and wish that they would move their headquarters to another state or start minding their own business.
So you think legislation that would keep a male cross-dresser out of a womens room is hateful?

Many in this state are cheering him on. And they won't be moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs